Lollipop 5.1 tips

Guest Captain Cookster

Guest Captain Cookster

Hi guys,

I guess some of you are a little anxious about updating your Hudl2 to the new Android Lollipop OS. Heard some bad things about battery life, overheating and other shananagans,? well I have some experience over a number of different Tablets and I have to say that with a bit of perseverance it will come good for you (I hope)

First off I have to say that for me completely backing up the Tablet and wiping it before you update seems to make the transition quicker and less fraught with the dreaded side effects. It seems that the ART runtime compiling aspect of the upgrade (converting existing apps already installed from dalvic-ART) can be made a lot easier by clearing everything out first. The only apps that will be optimised then will be the embedded stuff out of the box-)  not perhaps the 197 odd you may already have! 

Once it's finished installing then go looking for the apps you got rid of 5 mins earlier. They can then compile as and when you download them. Cutting the background activity down by a fair amount... It's this activity which seems to be making Tablets overheat and drain power. 

It seems that if you don't wipe your Tablet before the upgrade then you will only end up factory resetting the thing later when it's getting hot and draining the power?  Just my experience on a couple of devices.  This problem may not affect everyone though.

Sadly Lollipop has a down side........ It's the storage space you are left with after you update.... You may have a shock!!  What's happening here is that apps now have to be compiled to ART runtime which means it takes more space up per app.  This is normal and can't do anything about that. The upshot is that apps load quicker! Not a bad trade-off.

The new power saving feature of Lollipop seems to have some effect on the weak Hudl2 battery. Not really ran a serious test yet but it seems to be lasting a little longer.

Tip: If you want to make specific shortcuts to the "desktop" from settings menus etc then download activity launcher from the playstore.

You can find hidden menus and create shortcuts to almost anything. Interesting little app to say the least.

Good luck with Lollipop. It DOES work fine. Honestly!

Guest CPN200

I'd disagree slightly with the storage space bit in the sense that if you just do the OTA update without taking any further remedial action, then yes, you will lose a ton of space but if you do do a factory reset etc., you can even gain some over the same previous installation... This is how mine looked after I did a lot of sorting out and factory reset...

Screenshot_2015-10-05-15-42-05.thumb.png

That circular AppMgr Pro III widget that now reads 4.4 GB Free was standing at 2.2 GB before I went from KitKat to Lollipop ...