USB connectivity after Lollipop Update

Guest ljbdv8r

Guest oldscot

They can add me to the list of people who won't be updating unless or until otg is restored. That the hudl supported otg was a major factor in my choice. To the extent that I would not have bought it had it not had otg.

I should have read all of this before doing the update.  I am going travelling for 6 months and the Hudl 2 was going to be the only computing device I took with me.  

After the upgrade mine doesn't have any OTG functionallity.  Without the OTG function though it becomes a lot less useful for what I wanted to use it for (syncing my GPS, and quickly connecting my camera and memory cards).  

Fingers crossed they do roll something out but I will look at other options in the mean time

Edited by jamaj
updated text

• 4 weeks later...
Guest TehJumpingJawa

HTF8A4 here too, bought Nov 3 2014, in purple :)

Can't be absolutely sure otg worked under KitKat, though I probably did test it at some point when I was trying to get various otg Ethernet adapters to work with my Chromecast.

Definitely doesn't work now I've updated to lollipop though!

Tested with a mouse, keyboard, and USB memory stick. All work fine on my KitKat gpad 8.3 using the same otg cable.

The hudl2 is delivering USB power, but that's it.

• 2 months later...
Guest Jeff simcox

Dear all I have just today had the corporate response from Tesco. Otg functionalitynever intended. Blah 

As a lawyer. I have relied to them stating that I upgraded to a hudl 2 from a hudle 1. And upgraded to Lollypop from kitkat at their request.

As Otg functionality existed on the hudle 1 and hudl 2 kitkat their is an impliied warranty that it would also exist on the hudl2 lollypop version whethet they explicitly stated it or not.

Tesco are now in breach of that implied warranty I would request the support of all hudl 2 users in contacting tesco support through their ask question web form and use the exact words above asking them how they plan to rectify their breach. 

Guest Jeff simcox

Here is my question to Tesco support

I would suggest you all do the same

I am aware of the forum responses that you are treating the problem of lollypop upgraded hudl 2 s lack of OTG and USB external device capability with a a common was never intended to be a function.

This is a legal problem for you.

I upgraded form a Hudl 1 (had functionality wither expressly offered or not) and from KItkat (had functionality whether expressly offered or not) at your request.

The OTG and other functionality can be interpreted as an implied warranty that purchasers of the tablet relied upon, and that Tesco are now in breach of that implied warranty. 

I request that you advise me of Tesco's proposed timescale to rectify this breach of warranty

Guest David441

I have been pursuing this for some time.  I received a reply last week from the "Customer Service Executive to the Board" saying the same thing, "The Hudl2 was never designed to have the USB OTG functionality..."

The reply also adds, "there are no plans to release any further Hudl updates".

Guest mindmagic

About a month ago my Hudl 2 died. It was still under guarantee so it went back to Tesco for repair. As I feared, they did a factory reset and kindly upgraded it to Lollipop. Happily, my OTG works as before - if anything, it's faster. Someone at Tesco is guilty of a terminological inexactitude.

By the way,  "there are no plans to release any further Hudl updates" is disgraceful. Google have released a couple of security updates since 5.1 came out; we should at least get those.

• 2 weeks later...
On 05/10/2015 at 2:49 PM, ljbdv8r said:

Since upgrading to Lollipop, I seem to have lost the ability to connect devices to the USB port using an OTG cable

My Hudl 2 with Lollipo works just fine with OTG so far as memory sticks are concerned. I use it that way frequently.

• 1 month later...
Guest Rockhoppdr

MY HUDL2 DOES  NOT HAVE ANY VOLTAGE ON THE POWER PINS1 AND 4 OF THE USB PORT. THE HUDL2 CHARGES OK.  Android version 4.4.2. So it won't power a mouse or a keyboard.   

Guest Dogburp

Just for information both of mine,which have 5.1 can connect to OTG memory sticks. Both are HTF8A4XX Devices, but were bought many months if not a year or so apart.

I have the screen jitter problem on one and not the other, though I can't find any differences between the two, so far.