Tesco reply re: unlocking bootloader

Guest CPN200

I sent the following to Tesco Support...

Hi,
I am an IT & Network Consultant and Android Developer. I wonder of I could ask a couple of questions about the Hudl 2?

1. Will you eventually be releasing the source code of the device under the GPL License terms & conditions? Do you need to receive a formal request for this?

2. Before you end-of-life the Hudl 2, will you be releasing a firmware update that either unlocks the bootloader or at least allows the bootloader to be unlocked? So that techies such as myself may root the device and not be left with a door stop eventually?

Thanks & regards,

I received the following reply...

Dear Colin

Thank you contacting Tesco Support and for your interest in the Hudl2 Tablet. 

With regard to releasing the source code for the device, the source code was released shortly after the Hudl2 launch, which can downloaded by visiting https://www.tescotechsupport.com/downloads/.

As for releasing an update to unlock the bootloader of the device, we have no plans to unlock the bootloader in the near future. Currently, no tablet manufacturer provides an unlocked bootloader. Unlocking the bootloader would allow the installation of unauthorised software such as custom ROMs. This would be considered in breach of the manufacturers guarantee and would render the guarantee void. 

I'm sorry that I haven't been able to provide you with a suitable answer to your question, but I wanted to thank you for taking the time to get in touch. 

Kind regards

Thought that this might be of interest to others...

Guest vampirefo
I sent the following to Tesco Support...

Hi,
I am an IT & Network Consultant and Android Developer. I wonder of I could ask a couple of questions about the Hudl 2?

1. Will you eventually be releasing the source code of the device under the GPL License terms & conditions? Do you need to receive a formal request for this?

2. Before you end-of-life the Hudl 2, will you be releasing a firmware update that either unlocks the bootloader or at least allows the bootloader to be unlocked? So that techies such as myself may root the device and not be left with a door stop eventually?

Thanks & regards,

I received the following reply...

Dear Colin

Thank you contacting Tesco Support and for your interest in the Hudl2 Tablet. 

With regard to releasing the source code for the device, the source code was released shortly after the Hudl2 launch, which can downloaded by visiting https://www.tescotechsupport.com/downloads/.

As for releasing an update to unlock the bootloader of the device, we have no plans to unlock the bootloader in the near future. Currently, no tablet manufacturer provides an unlocked bootloader. Unlocking the bootloader would allow the installation of unauthorised software such as custom ROMs. This would be considered in breach of the manufacturers guarantee and would render the guarantee void. 

I'm sorry that I haven't been able to provide you with a suitable answer to your question, but I wanted to thank you for taking the time to get in touch. 

Kind regards

Thought that this might be of interest to others...

Well, that is a lie or untruth however you want to put it, all my tablets have unlocked bootloaders, and yes even Dell provides unlocking software.

Would it help to send them a link to Dells open source website, where dell host bootloader unlocking software?

It might but I suspect they are not going to budge... least of all let us know beforehand when they propose to stop supporting it... Give it a try? The more of us that bother them...

It's a bit "chicken and egg" really... Unless you can get the bootloader completely unlocked, the answer is "not really" and in any event, the source code usually just covers the bits they HAVE TO reveal under the Open Source agreement and won't include proprietary drivers etc that they may have used for the specific hardware...

Guest paulie74

how would you go about decompiling. I read that paul (o'brien) managed to root an image by inserting the binary into the image. I wonder if he had to decompile the image first

Guest paulie74

i hate to say it but i think tesco's have really got us  by the balls. I've tried to find other tablets with the same spec but the closest is1Gb Ram instead of 2Gb.

Guest vampirefo

how would you go about decompiling. I read that paul (o'brien) managed to root an image by inserting the binary into the image. I wonder if he had to decompile the image first

This is an old method many of us has used, the main purpose was to get around locked bootloaders, or recovery.img that couldn't be repacked correctly.

You dd the system to sdcard, then unpack it add su binaries as well as script to start root service, set permissions on the files, repack image then flash through unlocked fastboot.

The response from Tesco is in line with your legal agreement with Tesco.  You can find this on the Hudl 2 by going into Settings - About tablet - Legal information - Hudl legal - Intellectual property rights.

You have no right to the information and/or code you are seeking.

I suggest you check paragraph 2 (part) which says "If any open-source software is included in the Software, the terms of such open-source licence may override some of these Terms."

Anyway, who are you? Some sort of armchair lawyer? 

Guest vampirefo
The response from Tesco is in line with your legal agreement with Tesco.  You can find this on the Hudl 2 by going into Settings - About tablet - Legal information - Hudl legal - Intellectual property rights.

You have no right to the information and/or code you are seeking.

No, the response from Tesco was a lie, a lie is not in line with any agreement, I see you have a Nexus so you know for a fact the below statement is a lie.

Now they could just say we at Tesco don't release unlocked bootloaders, but they try and speak for every company and this simply isn't true, nextbook tablet's come straight off the shelf with bootloaders unlocked, so do RCA and many many others. the ones that are locked like Nexus are simple to unlock, Asus provides unlocking software as well as Dell.

no tablet manufacturer provides an unlocked bootloader

Edited by vampirefo

Guest Grimthorpe

It would also be good if they updated the Linux source they provide so it matches their latest release.

The link is to 3.10.20 but the lollipop release is 3.10.63

While its still not much use to us, it is their legal obligation to provide it.