OK so how can we get Lollipop rooted ?

Guest samac

I've downloaded the latest image that was posted here http://loadbalancing.modaco.com/download.php?file=hudl2_ota_rel.android-build.20150803.092218_to_rel.android-build.20150917.142239.zip and the idea is to learn a bit about how the update is put together and to see if it is possible to modify it.

I don't know very much about Android but I have reasonable experience with Linux, so hopefully the learning curve won't be too bad.

Step 1. The package is unzipped and explored.

Step 2. Try to mount the boot.img

quad hudl2# simg2img boot.img boot.raw

Invalid sparse file format at header magi
Failed to read sparse file

As you can see failure at the first attempt.

What I hope will happen is that a few people will chip in and we will be able to get some progress made, and at the very least we will all learn something.

Any ideas?

samac

Edited by samac

None.... and I don't think you'll find many others with ideas either as Tesco have the Hudl 2 locked up so tight that it's not really worth the effort. Check out the comments over on xda developers about it...

Guest vampirefo
I've downloaded the latest image that was posted here http://loadbalancing.modaco.com/download.php?file=hudl2_ota_rel.android-build.20150803.092218_to_rel.android-build.20150917.142239.zip and the idea is to learn a bit about how the update is put together and to see if it is possible to modify it.

I don't know very much about Android but I have reasonable experience with Linux, so hopefully the learning curve won't be too bad.

Step 1. The package is unzipped and explored.

Step 2. Try to mount the boot.img

As you can see failure at the first attempt.

What I hope will happen is that a few people will chip in and we will be able to get some progress made, and at the very least we will all learn something.

Any ideas?

samac

I don't have this device, but what I would do is open the update, apply root, and flash update via twrp, once updated the tablet should be rooted lollipop.

Guest paulie74

i myself really like the hudl2 as it has a lot of potential but only if it is rooted. I think samac could be on to something if a little time was spent trying to figure it all out.

i myself need help in this department cause although i'm good at following instructions, trying to figure out code is beyond me

Had to download sdat2img.py and followed the instruction on this page http://forum.xda-developers.com/android/software-hacking/how-to-conver-lollipop-dat-files-to-t2978952

I now have access to to the file system, @vampirefo do you mean using the same method as you released for KitKat?

I guess I now have to learn how to explode an apk so I can find where to put su.

samac

First modification open /media/bootanimation.zip/audio_conf.txt and changed the line

mixer "Speaker Playback Volume" =20 20

to

mixer "Speaker Playback Volume" = 0 0

Hopefully that will get rid of the awful noise when you turn on the tablet.

samac

P.S. this is the only modification apart from adding SU and is only happening because I can't stand the terrible jangly noise.

Edited by samac

What I've been looking for is explicit instructions for adding su.

Adding su to /bin and linking it to /xbin is trivial, but do you need to add any other files, modify any scripts, put any apk's in /app. Even where to find the best copy of su etc would be a help.

Guest vampirefo
Vroot apk roots the lollipop update fine. Don't know why your all saying can't be rooted!

No one is saying it can't be rooted, people are looking for a way to root it, seeing you found a way why not just post a link to the exact app you used?

Guest arnookie

Just google vroot.apk That's all you need. Its one click root and works on nearly all devices and you don't need windows or Linux to do it.

Its simple one click root. I have two hudl units and both rooted fine with vroot. but I do have a friend who says it failed for him. Just make sure you get the latest version.

Guest vampirefo
Just google vroot.apk That's all you need. Its one click root and works on nearly all devices and you don't need windows or Linux to do it.

Its simple one click root. I have two hudl units and both rooted fine with vroot. but I do have a friend who says it failed for him. Just make sure you get the latest version.

So you can't link to it or upload the version you used, sounds fishy.

Guest arnookie

OK because I tell you an easy way to root it sounds fishy?

I really don't get that! but anyway vroot is so easy to get you don't really need a link.

Just type in "vroot" on google search and download it. Simple!

As for supplying the apk! Well to be honest I wouldn't want to break any forum rules.

Don't believe me have a look here also top post page 30.

Hope that helps. :0)

Looks like this guy had similar who posted on page 30 of the how to root by Paul. Results 2 of mine rooted but a friends did not. my hudl's were purchased in nov  2014. My friend purchased his about 2 months ago. So not sure if that is the problem.

Edited by arnookie

Guest Sparkey159

I downloaded "Vroot" but the apk was called "Iroot".

Attempted anyway but app force closed once opened.

I might have downloaded the wrong one though.

Could you please supply more information on where to find the correct download?

Thanks.

(There are lots of websites that have the APK up for download.)

Edited by Sparkey159

Guest Sparkey159

Downloaded, Installed, App wasn't in english. (for the most part)

Attempted root, said something about cloud root, continued anyway.

It then came to a page saying "The network links failure, please check"

Any help would be great.

Thanks for trying to explain this to us Arnookie.