OK so how can we get Lollipop rooted ?

Guest samac

Guest vampirefo

Back on topic SU is now in /bin and linked to /xbin

If vampirfo is lurking, is that all that is needed or do I need to do more before repackaging?

No you need more, depending on how your device is currently rooted. For kk and lollipop you need also su demon and a script to launch it.

We use install-recovery.sh from system/etc your update script must contain one, it's used to patch stock recovery, you need to edit it and add lauching su demon.

install-recovery.sh taken from Paul O'Brien's system.hudl2.rooted.20150106.154003.ONLY.r1.zip

#!/system/bin/sh

# If you're implementing this in a custom kernel/firmware,
# I suggest you use a different script name, and add a service
# to launch it from init.rc

# Launches SuperSU in daemon mode only on Android 4.3+.
# Nothing will happen on 4.2.x or older, unless SELinux+Enforcing.
# If you want to force loading the daemon, use "--daemon" instead

/system/xbin/daemonsu --auto-daemon &

# Some apps like to run stuff from this script as well, that will 
# obviously break root - in your code, just search this file
# for "install-recovery-2.sh", and if present, write there instead.

/system/etc/install-recovery-2.sh

From xbin of the same image I've copied:

daemonsu, strace, su, sugote, sugote-mksh, supolicy

I tried to copy Superuser.apk to /app but I got an out of space error. Has this been set to a fixed size to stop things being added? Is there a way around this?

samac

I tried to copy Superuser.apk to /app but I got an out of space error. Has this been set to a fixed size to stop things being added? Is there a way around this?

Also do I need to do anything else before trying to repackage?

samac

managed to repackage as a zip. Copied the zip to SD card. Used adb reboot recovery, and selected apply update from external storage.

It found and opened the package but failed to verify:

E:footer is wrong

E:signature verification failed

Installation aborted

Now I need to find out how to correct these errors.

samac

Guest jb2kred

@samac the error you are getting is that the zip file needs to be signed with signapk with tesco pk8 file and pem certificate which will put the correct footer at the end of the file and the correct security whole file signiture for the zip file to be accepted by the recovery install method. I am also currently looking into this as I am past the error you have but need to correctly sign the zip for this is the last step the we can reinstall root on our tablets.

Guest PaulOBrien

Hi Folks!

Unfortunately I don't have a Hudl 2 at the moment, but I might try and pick one up for one last rooting hurrah on the device, i'll keep you posted.

P

Guest speakeasy

Hi Folks!

Unfortunately I don't have a Hudl 2 at the moment, but I might try and pick one up for one last rooting hurrah on the device, i'll keep you posted.

P

Please!

Pretty please!

Guest popoyaya

Hi Folks!

P

Hurrah! The cavalry's on the way :)

Guest popoyaya

It sounds like they closed the OEM commands loophole, so it's not going to be easy like before (if even possible)...

P

What about the approach jb2kred above is suggesting, repackage the update image with SU and resign it?

Guest vampirefo

You can't sign the zip, well you can but it will never work without tesco keys, seeing they refuse to unlock bootloader, it's doubtful they are willing to give up their keys.

Flashing through twrp doesn't require a signature.

IntelAndroid-FBRL-07-24-2015

UPDATE-SuperSU-v2.46

Recovery Option 1. twrp_hdpi_landscape.zip

T4 launch using oem stop_partitioning trigger alternate version

Reboots Hudl2 into Fastboot Mode (green android on back with hatch open) and reads at bottom E:Novalid installer medium found.

On the Win10 laptop < waiting for device >

So what really silly thing am I missing?

samac

Guest vampirefo

My tools are for Linux, you are using windows tools, which are SDC, you need special script, for fastboot, it's on this forum somewhere, My Linux version included hudl2 script, I don't think SDC version does. Someone in this thread should be able to point you to hudl2 script.

Guest Sparkey159

Edit the .bat with the "-i 0x1D4D" after fastboot in each fastboot command.
I tried that method before (With Trigger T4), didn't work though

"Oem command not permitted" Or something like that (Its been a few weeks since I tried it, can't really remember the error)

Edited by Sparkey159

Guest vampirefo
Edit the .bat with the "-i 0x1D4D" after fastboot in each fastboot command.

I tried that method before (With Trigger T4), didn't work though

"Oem command not permitted" Or something like that (Its been a few weeks since I tried it, can't really remember the error)

Has to be done on KitKat not lollipop.

Guest Sparkey159

Yeah, Just as Paul stated in an earlier post:

It sounds like they closed the OEM commands loophole, so it's not going to be easy like before (if even possible)...

P

Edited by Sparkey159

Guest vampirefo

Yeah, Just as Paul stated in an earlier post: 

I am not following you logic, I knew it didn't work on lollipop 5.1 back in June when dell got 5.1.

Seems you don't follow your own logic, as you tried to use it on lollipop 5.1 when it's been posted since June by SDC and I that it doesn't work on lollipop 5.1. Does work on lollipop 5.0 up to 5.0.2

Guest brackehill_mob

@vampirefo I'm still on kitkat as i can't afford to lose root. Does what you are saying mean that if @samac share his zip, i can get rooted 5.1 by using your tethered twrp?

If so, what state will my Hudl be in if the installation barfs? Still kitkat or 5.1?