Problems after unlocking

Guest Popcornnn

Guest Popcornnn

Hi,

I used trusted eBayer ahtech14 to unlock my smart ultra 6. It then accepted my wife's GiffGaff card,

HOWEVER:

When she tries to phone my mobile (using the blue phone icon, bottom left on the home page) she gets an error message:

'Sorry, Vodafone only. You can only use this app if you are a Vodafone customer'

So my question is, does my wife need to install some other phone dialing app in order to phone out? Or is the phone not fully unlocked?
I appreciate any advise suggestions.

Thank you, Popcornnn

Guest trueno2k

Hi,

I used trusted eBayer ahtech14 to unlock my smart ultra 6. It then accepted my wife's GiffGaff card,

HOWEVER:

When she tries to phone my mobile (using the blue phone icon, bottom left on the home page) she gets an error message:

'Sorry, Vodafone only. You can only use this app if you are a Vodafone customer'

So my question is, does my wife need to install some other phone dialing app in order to phone out? Or is the phone not fully unlocked?

I appreciate any advise suggestions.

Thank you, Popcornnn

I think you've just answered your question!.. Oh and if you want confirmation, that would be yes, install a separate phone/text messaging app, as the ones pre-installed are for Vodafone's sim cards!..

Guest Adrian_B

I think you've just answered your question!.. Oh and if you want confirmation, that would be yes, install a separate phone/text messaging app, as the ones pre-installed are for Vodafone's sim cards!..

i am unlocked and am using my Three UK sim card . The dialer works fine even now when I'm roaming in Ireland . The message + app however did display a "for Vodafone" message.  But I use Google's messenger for that now. 

I am on UK03c if that makes a difference.

Edited by Adrian_B

Guest Popcornnn

Thanks for reply and excuse me if my 'problem' is a no brainer.

If I go to the 'play store' can anyone recommend an app that I could use to phone out? and text message?

Thanks, Pop

Guest trueno2k
i am unlocked and am using my Three UK sim card . The dialer works fine even now when I'm roaming in Ireland . The message + app however did display a "for Vodafone" message.  But I use Google's messenger for that now. 

I am on UK03c if that makes a difference.

If the missus can withstand the quirks in hangouts dialer, then that would be a good alternative...

Guest Popcornnn

If the missus can withstand the quirks in hangouts dialer, then that would be a good alternative...

thanks trueno2k,

I am trying to download it now. Wife says there are so many apps called dialer, I'll try a few. Thanks, Pop

Guest neilmasters

If you mean Google Hangouts then that doesn't allow network calls to be made from it, only VOIP.

Guest neilmasters

thanks trueno2k,

I am trying to download it now. Wife says there are so many apps called dialer, I'll try a few. Thanks, Pop

I'd concentrate on trying to solve the problem - it sounds like your phone hasn't been correctly unlocked as you should be able to use the stock dialler without issues. Do you have another networks SIM you could try?

Guest Popcornnn

Dialer wont allow phoning out, says, 'vodafone only'

Gonna try VOIP now, however agin there are many apps in the store called VOIP.

Thanks for help. I will try my own sim (MY3) see if that works.

Guest Popcornnn

I think my wife's had enough stress with this 'ultra 6'. I'm going to give her my iPhone5 and I'll try and straighten out U6. The help offered here is much appreciated. It is somewhat confusing when someone suggests downloading an app that has many versions on the store. I think I might be in for some technical headaches swapping my phone :-(

Guest neilmasters

VOIP app comes with info 'low cost calling' is that right.

No, the point is you want to avoid the VOIP apps that were mentioned - they're not going to help you. To re-iterate, it doesn't sound like you have unlocked your phone correctly, or have an incorrect code. Walk through the unlock procedure again with the code that was supplied and let us know how you get on.

Guest paraffinbrain

Hi, I didn't need to install any other apps to phone, text. Sounds like it is defaulting to message+.

If you can get to the already installed apps, Phone should be the right one, then hopefully it should then ask if you want it to be the default from hereon in. For texts, go to Messenger, three dots to get the settings, then set default sms to be Messenger

Good luck

Guest Popcornnn

hummmm. First off, thank you for advice and suggestions. I'm in a pickle and I feel somewhat relieved that you people are taking the time to help. much appreciated. Neilmasters, I think you might be right, phone is not unlocked properly because even when I try using Truedialer to phone another mobile, I get error message,

'Sorry, Vodafone only'

so I'm gonna check the unlock instructions. Mind you, after I used the unlock I remember seeing the message, 'your phone has been unlocked successfully'.

might have a dud unlock???

I'll check unlock instructions now. Thanks again everyone, Popcornnn

Guest BlueMoonRising

gonna restore phone to factory settings, try again

:-)

I've just changed the launcher to the standard one (which shouldn't make any difference anyway but just in case) and there was no issue using the stock dialler which is what you're using. I haven't installed any alternatives (there's no need, the standard Android one is excellent) so you do have an issue. Changing the dialler will make no difference whatsoever and the people suggesting this are idiots.

Edit: BTW, I was on GiffGaff originally so it's not a problem with them. I've changed to O2 (who GiffGaff piggyback on) because I was getting variable download speeds on GG of between 3-6Mbs, on O2 I get 22-25Mbs. GG are heavily capped.

2nd Edit: try taking the sim out (while the phone is switched on) and then putting it back and see if any messages are displayed. Can you see a GiffGaff name at top left?

Edited by BlueMoonRising

• 2 months later...
Guest Shrikey

Has anyone discovered the issue here yet? I just got one for my brother and for the first few days it called mobile numbers as normal but now it pops up the same Vodafone only error on mobile numbers only, landlines and 0800's are working as normal.

I appear to have fixed it now by disabling the Vodafone Call+ app. It seems mobile calls were being routed through it in the background even when using another dialer and that maybe allowed it to see a non-vodafone sim. Hopefully this will help anyone else coming along.

Edited by Shrikey
Updated info.

Guest BlueMoonRising

12 minutes ago, Shrikey said:

Has anyone discovered the issue here yet? I just got one for my brother and for the first few days it called mobile numbers as normal but now it pops up the same Vodafone only error on mobile numbers only, landlines and 0800's are working as normal.

It wasn't an "issue" as it only affected 1 person, have you tried the following? Can you see the carrier name on the phone?

On 30/10/2015 at 9:16 AM, BlueMoonRising said:

try taking the sim out (while the phone is switched on) and then putting it back and see if any messages are displayed.

Guest Shrikey
1 hour ago, BlueMoonRising said:

It wasn't an "issue" as it only affected 1 person, have you tried the following? Can you see the carrier name on the phone?

Well it's been an issue to me is all that matters. The carrier name was correctly shown at all times. I fixed it by disabling the Vodafone Call+ app.