Smart Ultra 6 Reboots at Startup- Vodafone Repair Are No Help

Guest joseph_adedosu

Guest joseph_adedosu

Hey Guys,

So I got my SU6 about 2 months ago and it is unrooted so it's still under warranty. About 2 weeks ago I left my phone charging on my window sill next to my bed to charge overnight while it was updating. When I woke up I realized that it turned off and when I tried to turn it on (I even held the power button for 2 minutes) I had no luck. After college that day I came back home and charged it and it would start to boot up then turn off immediately then repeat this process. About 3 days later I decided to try and charge it again and to my surprise it turned on and I restored my backup (as I had already wiped Data and cache with no prevail). As I was using it however the phone keep restarting randomly( sometimes booting up with a white line at the top of the screen) and then it began to do it before the phone would boot up properly until the phone wouldn't turn on again. The only way I knew that the phone was still alive was when I tried to charge it the phone repeated the boot loop it had before. I then took it to Vodafone and they sent it to get repaired and when I went to collect it they told me Fonfix couldn't repair it as it had water moisture damage which I didn't believe as I never dropped it in water and the display was still perfect and shows no signs of water damage. I'd happily take any suggestions anyone has and I'll attach the photo that they took showing the place in the phone that supposedly had water moisture damage.

7dc763b5_o.jpeg

Edited by joseph_adedosu

Guest craigyd76

My first Su6 done this, started randomly restarting with a white line along the top left of the screen, it did manage to reboot once or twice but would just freeze and reboot again within seconds, it hadn't been near water or condensation or even dropped.

The phone was total stock and hadn't been rooted, so took it back to argos and they replaced it straight away for a new one.

Guest joseph_adedosu
9 minutes ago, craigyd76 said:

My first Su6 done this, started randomly restarting with a white line along the top left of the screen, it did manage to reboot once or twice but would just freeze and reboot again within seconds, it hadn't been near water or condensation or even dropped.

The phone was total stock and hadn't been rooted, so took it back to argos and they replaced it straight away for a new one.

Vodafone didn't want to give me a replacement when I asked if I was eligible for it, and when I asked why they tried to blame it on the light scratches I had on the back of the phone. 

Guest macbreakweeklyfan

Keep on their case. Stand firm and take no bluff from these people, they want you to back down first, it ain't happening with me, they're gonna replace my phone, be sure of that. Be polite but firm, and relentlessly pursue them and don't give in - be consistently calm, peaceful and polite, and they WILL satisfy you. I don't back down when I know I'm in the position whereby for them to be unhelpful and obstinate would be unfair and immoral. 

One last time, DO NOT back down and be all British about it or you'll be walked over like a doormat. Being polite and affable is good, but being a mug is not. 

Hope it works out - don't read anything into it, just push forward and make firm decisions and take the action you say you're going to. 

Guest macbreakweeklyfan
4 hours ago, joseph_adedosu said:

Hey Guys,

So I got my SU6 about 2 months ago and it is unrooted so it's still under warranty. About 2 weeks ago I left my phone charging on my window sill next to my bed to charge overnight. When I woke up I realized that it turned off and when I tried to turn it on (I even held the power button for 2 minutes) I had no luck. After college that day I came back home and charged it and it would start to boot up then turn off immediately then repeat this process. About 3 days later I decided to try and charge it again and to my surprise it turned on and I restored my backup (as I had already wiped Data and cache with no prevail). As I was using it however the phone keep restarting randomly( sometimes booting up with a white line at the top of the screen) and then it began to do it before the phone would boot up properly until the phone wouldn't turn on again. The only way I knew that the phone was still alive was when I tried to charge it the phone repeated the boot loop it had before. I then took it to Vodafone and they sent it to get repaired and when I went to collect it they told me Fonfix couldn't repair it as it had water moisture damage which I didn't believe as I never dropped it in water and the display was still perfect and shows no signs of water damage. I'd happily take any suggestions anyone has and I'll attach the photo that they took showing the place in the phone that supposedly had water moisture damage.

7dc763b5_o.jpeg

Hey Joseph :)

I've just found this article which you should print off and arm yourself with, before taking it AND the phone back to the shop:

http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/problem/my-mobile-phone-is-faulty-what-can-i-do

Also this page could well prove extremely helpful in resolving your dispute:

http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/action/how-to-reject-a-faulty-mobile-phone-and-get-your-money-back

Edited by macbreakweeklyfan

Guest joseph_adedosu
4 hours ago, macbreakweeklyfan said:

Hey Joseph :)

I've just found this article which you should print off and arm yourself with, before taking it AND the phone back to the shop:

http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/problem/my-mobile-phone-is-faulty-what-can-i-do

Also this page could well prove extremely helpful in resolving your dispute:

http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/action/how-to-reject-a-faulty-mobile-phone-and-get-your-money-back

Thank you for this! I will be going back to Vodafone and asking for a replacement phone.

Guest BlueMoonRising

I can't see you not getting it replaced regardless of how it happened but that said, sticking it on a windowsill isn't the best of ideas (don't tell them you did this BTW).

It's possible that the water damage (if that's what caused the problem) occurred due to condensation from your window. I know yours was overnight but if you'd left it there during the day and the window was South facing, then the sun will then cook it as well (although at least it would burn off the condensation ;) ).

Guest joseph_adedosu
8 hours ago, BlueMoonRising said:

I can't see you not getting it replaced regardless of how it happened but that said, sticking it on a windowsill isn't the best of ideas (don't tell them you did this BTW).

It's possible that the water damage (if that's what caused the problem) occurred due to condensation from your window. I know yours was overnight but if you'd left it there during the day and the window was South facing, then the sun will then cook it as well (although at least it would burn off the condensation ;) ).

It was at night so I know it has nothing to do with heat from the sun and it wasn't raining and my window was shut but I still don't get how I should approach them for the replacement.

Edited by joseph_adedosu

Guest BlueMoonRising
1 hour ago, joseph_adedosu said:

It was at night so I know it has nothing to do with heat from the sun and it wasn't raining and my window was shut but I still don't get how I should approach them for the replacement.

The condensation is from your breath (and possibly sweat) not the rain, it settles on the window as the temperature lowers.

Just go back and tell them that you're not satisfied with their decision and that you obviously have a faulty unit, just don't get angry and start shouting. That will get you nowhere fast. Speaking to someone else may get an instant result.

Guest macbreakweeklyfan
1 hour ago, BlueMoonRising said:

The condensation is from your breath (and possibly sweat) not the rain, it settles on the window as the temperature lowers.

Just go back and tell them that you're not satisfied with their decision and that you obviously have a faulty unit, just don't get angry and start shouting. That will get you nowhere fast. Speaking to someone else may get an instant result.

I wholeheartedly agree with you. Windowsills are one of the dampest places one could find in a house. The cold glass meeting with the warm air inside the house causes water vapour naturally suspended in air to condense and gather on the glass, running down onto the window frame, ergo this could easily trigger moisture ingress in the phone. The moisture levels at night are increased substantially due to one's breathing out warm, damp breath into your bedroom - a somewhat confined space. 

It is not altogether inconceivable that the water damage indicator has tripped due to this. In fact, if anything, I'd say that keeping it on the windowsill would increase the likelihood  of this substantially