Preventing L update files from installing

Guest mole62

Hi all,

I've a rooted Hudl2 running KitKat, it's downloaded the update files and will install them on next reboot (unless battery is low). I don't need Lollipop and don't want to lose root, is there a way to cancel this update so I can turn this thing off? I've not rebooted it now for weeks...   Maybe just delete (or save for later) the update files.

Not having much luck saving the file:

adb pull /cache/hudl2_ota_20150529.110309_v1.4.0rc2-20151102.170607_v1.4.2rc1.zip

gives  remote object '/cache/hudl2_ota_20150529.110309_v1.4.0rc2-20151102.170607_v1.4.2rc1.zip' does not exist

and moving (after su) gives this error:

mv hudl2_ota_20150529.110309_v1.4.0rc2-20151102.170607_v1.4.2rc1.zip /sdcard/hudl2_ota_20150529.110309_v1.4.0rc2-20151102.170607_v1.4.2rc1.zip

fails with "Cross-device link"

Tried renaming the file to update.zip with Root File Manager.. and it disappeared from view. Not visible in the file manager or using "ls -la /cache".

The original permissions were rw-r--r-- and the cache directory has rwxrwx---   

??

Edited by mole62

• 2 weeks later...
Guest mole62

Well that didn't work... unmounted, FSCK'd and remounted the cache partition, still no update file (looks like I should have originally used 'cp' and then deleted the original, or used busybox mv rather than the system mv).  Backed up and deleted the system update app, and a few Tesco apps, rebooted and now the graphics won't start, the screen is stuck displaying "hudl*" with the star pulsing, and can't connect via ADB.

So either there's something else that's triggered the update, and it's sat there trying to find the deleted upadte file, or deleting the update app and Tesco apps has broken it.

Anyone know how to reflash the /system partition from SD card? I have a raw image I could make sparse and put on SD card, maybe the "Apply update from external storage" could do this?    Will try it in a while anyway if no better ideas...... after I've tried letting the battery run down too low for an update and seeing if it boots any differently.

• 3 years later...
Guest dazmatic
On 1/1/2016 at 6:32 PM, mole62 said:

Well that didn't work... unmounted, FSCK'd and remounted the cache partition, still no update file (looks like I should have originally used 'cp' and then deleted the original, or used busybox mv rather than the system mv).  Backed up and deleted the system update app, and a few Tesco apps, rebooted and now the graphics won't start, the screen is stuck displaying "hudl*" with the star pulsing, and can't connect via ADB.

So either there's something else that's triggered the update, and it's sat there trying to find the deleted upadte file, or deleting the update app and Tesco apps has broken it.

Anyone know how to reflash the /system partition from SD card? I have a raw image I could make sparse and put on SD card, maybe the "Apply update from external storage" could do this?    Will try it in a while anyway if no better ideas...... after I've tried letting the battery run down too low for an update and seeing if it boots any differently.

D you still have the raw image?