Much faster battery drain after shut down.

Guest emgray

Hello everyone,

My phone doesn't have a sim card at the moment and is basically used as a tablet and media consumption device.  When fully charged it'll approximate a 10 day stand by time and that's very accurate.  About a week a go I switched my phone off as the battery was getting too low and after I charged it back to 100% and turned it back on the stand by time is only 3 days.  I've charged it back to 100% and even restarted but it still approximates a battery life of 3 days.

I haven't installed any new apps onto the phone and it's currently running on the UK 5.1.1 update that came out 2.5 weeks ago.

Some advice would be appreciated.

Thanks for reading.

Guest Vince Scott

Only thing that springs to mind is maybe an app you already had the installed with an ONBOOT property. So after the reboot it came into effect where maybe it wasn't previously active.

Next option is to start debugging it. Maybe try a factory reset, see what difference that makes. Return to 5.0, see what that does, basically a process of elimination. Good luck.

Incidentally, i'm in a similar situation in that I've not got a sim in the phone and use it like a tablet. Seem to recall having it in airplane mode and switching wifi on and off when necessary kept the battery stats static when not in use.

Guest BlueMoonRising

If the above doesn't work it sounds like the battery calibration has got confused. I found this http://techbeasts.com/2014/11/13/how-calibrate-battery-android/  which may help. The relevant part is here:

How to Calibrate Battery on Non-Rooted Android Device

Calibrating the battery is much easy for rooted Android users, but just in case you’re unaware of rooting methods and the root access, you may want to follow a method that requires a little less tweaks. Although this method is a tedious, but you are left with no other choice except using this one. Let’s go through the method and get it done.

1. First of all, you need to turn on your phone and charge it to 100% completely. It is recommended that you charge your phone for an extra 30 minutes once it’s on 100%.
  2. Now unplug the charging cable and turn it off completely.
  3. Now plug the charging cable back in again and charge your phone for at least an hour more.
  4. Now turn on your phone and charge it completely for an hour more.
  5. Now once again unplug the charging cable and turn off your phone completely, and then plug the charging cable in the phone again and charge it for an hour more.
  6. Once you’re done with this, turn on your phone and use it ordinarily. Do not charge your phone unless the battery has been drained up completely. Charge it to 100% once the battery goes dead.

The other thing to try would be to use it until the battery dies entirely and then recharge for a few hours.

I noticed that even though the screen was turned off the phone was reporting that it still was awake but that seems to have stopped now.  Initially it showed 3 days standby with 100% battery now it's showing 4 days standby with 70% battery.

I think I'm going to carry on until the battery gets low and then do the battery calibration.

Would wiping the cache partition help?