Cannot shutdown phone with power long press OR control volume from lock screen WITHOUT screen unlock FIRST

Guest macbreakweeklyfan

Guest macbreakweeklyfan

Since I updated my SU6 to 5.1.1, long pressing power does NOT bring up the Shut down/Restart/Flight Mode/Volume dialog OR allow volume control, when the screen is on but locked, as it should, and does, on MOST Android devices I have used. This is a brand new SU6, and I tested it out of the box as new on 5.0.2 and it WORKED, but now it does not. Could someone please shed some light? It's quite ridiculous to have to unlock just to shutdown the phone or control the volume.

This obscure behaviour was present on my older SU6 also.

Thank you :)

Edited by macbreakweeklyfan

Guest macbreakweeklyfan
13 hours ago, Frostyjim said:

That's a good thing. If someone robs your phone they can't switch it off assuming you have a pin/pattern set up.

That's not going to stop a long 10-20 second force power off though, or the thief could just let the battery drain, so its less than useless, and rather inconvenient. You say "can't", not true. 

I want the option for this device to behave like EVERY other Android I've owned (and I've owned many, many Android devices), that's all. 

Guest Frostyjim
20 hours ago, macbreakweeklyfan said:

That's not going to stop a long 10-20 second force power off though, or the thief could just let the battery drain, so its less than useless, and rather inconvenient. You say "can't", not true. 

I want the option for this device to behave like EVERY other Android I've owned (and I've owned many, many Android devices), that's all. 

You are correct, didn't realise you would still be able to shut it down. Might be able to get the function back if you rooted your device with gravity box or another xposed module.

Guest macbreakweeklyfan
33 minutes ago, Frostyjim said:

You are correct, didn't realise you would still be able to shut it down. Might be able to get the function back if you rooted your device with gravity box or another xposed module.

Not gonna happen. I'm not going to trash my  whole phone with that junk just for this. There'll be a simpler, more elegant way... I can wait. Thanks anyway. :)

Guest BlueMoonRising
15 hours ago, Frostyjim said:

I wouldn't worry about it Jim, I've just tried 3 different smartphones I've got lying around and only 1 of them brought up the shut down options (and that was a version of CyanMod). None of them would alter the volume without unlocking first, he will always find something to whinge about, best to ignore.

Guest macbreakweeklyfan
12 hours ago, BlueMoonRising said:

I wouldn't worry about it Jim, I've just tried 3 different smartphones I've got lying around and only 1 of them brought up the shut down options (and that was a version of CyanMod). None of them would alter the volume without unlocking first, he will always find something to whinge about, best to ignore.

If you don't agree with what I post, act like a man and say nothing.

On 18.01.2016 at 11:17 PM, macbreakweeklyfan said:
On 16.01.2016 at 3:12 AM, macbreakweeklyfan said:

Since I updated my SU6 to 5.1.1, long pressing power does NOT bring up the Shut down/Restart/Flight Mode/Volume dialog OR allow volume control, when the screen is on but locked, as it should, and does, on MOST Android devices I have used. This is a brand new SU6, and I tested it out of the box as new on 5.0.2 and it WORKED, but now it does not. Could someone please shed some light? It's quite ridiculous to have to unlock just to shutdown the phone or control the volume.

This obscure behaviour was present on my older SU6 also.

Thank you :)

If you don't agree with what I post, act like a man and say nothing.

Not bug . Try this: Setings - Developer option-Enable quickboot mode off.

Edited by bok27

Guest macbreakweeklyfan
15 hours ago, bok27 said:

Not bug . Try this: Setings - Developer option-Enable quickboot mode off.

I take it you actually tested your suggestion before posting it, since your suggestion does not work. Apart from it not working, "Enable QuickBoot Mode" is off by default on a new device.

Thanks anyway :)