Pop-up Ads

Guest whispers

Guest whispers

I originally posted about this under the Speedy ROM topic, but no responses - and it may apply to other 5.1.1 ROM's (stock, Flux etc):

I'm getting pop-up Vodafone ads since updating to 5.1.1 (Speedy ROM in this case). They are like an overlay (don't show up in the open apps list), for things like getting a particular Samsung phone for my business etc, plainly Vodafone branded.

Is anyone else experiencing this, and does anyone know of a way to turn them off? Speedy ROM is supposed to be devoid of Vodafone bloat, and I certainly don't have any Vodafone apps in the apps drawer, but I wonder if it's somehow related to Message+, and I might need to install this to gain access to the setting that turns it off?

Guest ohyesman

More likely to be from another app u have installed.

Install addons detector from the play store (by denper) and run that and check to see what is pushing ads to phone

Guest ohyesman

Hopefully it will let u know what it is either way. I've not had ads pushed to phone like that for god knows when 5.02/5.1.1

Where r the ads appearing, u disabled/deleted all the Vodafone stuff left?

Guest whispers

Well, I'm running the Speedy ROM (see it's own thread) which is supposed to have all that stuff removed, and I certainly can't see any evidence of Vodafone stuff remaining.

As above, the original ads were like an almost-screen-filling overlay, apparently independent of any app. 

I suppose it's also possible that it could be a 3rd party app that is either seeing my activity or at least is aware of the phone model it is running on, so is pushing Vodafone-based ads. I have since also had a few ads trying to open in the browser (for non-Vodafone related things), but I've personally never seen the other kind (the overlay type) until now.

Maybe I'm just confused by seeing ads at all, as I've always run ROMs with AdAway built in. Anyway, I couldn't seem to get Addons Detector to detect it when it happened. AdAway has now stamped on it I think, but I would have preferred to uninstall the culprit beforehand!

Thanks for the suggestion.

Edited by whispers