Wi-Fi constantly on, even when phone is off?

Guest Cryptochrome

Guest Cryptochrome

As you can see by the screenshot below, my phone keeps Wi-Fi on, even when the phone if fully off. Before I turn my phone off, I even turn off Wi-Fi, so I have no idea why this is happening. It's been happening for about a month or two and this is probably why my phone never charges fully overnight. Anyone got any suggestions? :(Screenshot_2016-06-03-11-52-18.png

Guest Cryptochrome
9 minutes ago, LiNe171 said:

Its a option on Wi-Fi settings.

You mean scanning always available? I have that unticked already.

IMG_20160603_120038.jpg

Guest BlueMoonRising

Do you have an App that likes to connect via WiFi rather than the mobile network to save data? Go to settings>data usage>WiFi and see what's been using it.

Avast used to have this issue, something to do with the Anti-theft settings.

Guest Cryptochrome
10 minutes ago, BlueMoonRising said:

Do you have an App that likes to connect via WiFi rather than the mobile network to save data? Go to settings>data usage>WiFi and see what's been using it.

Avast used to have this issue, something to do with the Anti-theft settings.

Pretty much just got Google apps and general social media. Besides, the Wi-Fi stays on when the phone is off, so I don't think it's an app. :/ YouTube is the main consumer of WiFi, but that's all in the foreground. That's the same with all apps apart from "removed apps and users" (?) and "Android OS".

Edited by Cryptochrome

Guest Frostyjim
21 hours ago, Cryptochrome said:

You mean scanning always available? I have that unticked already.

IMG_20160603_120038.jpg

You need to change "Keep Wi-Fi on during sleep" to Never or only when charging.

Guest Cryptochrome
13 minutes ago, Frostyjim said:

You need to change "Keep Wi-Fi on during sleep" to Never or only when charging.

That's only during sleep thought isn't it? My problem is that my phone doesn't charge fully because the WiFi is always on when the phone is FULLY OFF. I don't know, maybe you're right... 

Thanks

Guest BlueMoonRising
3 hours ago, Cryptochrome said:

That's only during sleep thought isn't it? My problem is that my phone doesn't charge fully because the WiFi is always on when the phone is FULLY OFF. I don't know, maybe you're right... 

Thanks

My WiFi is set the same as yours although once I've finished whatever I'm doing I turn it off anyway. When you say FULLY OFF do you mean shut down? if so there's no way your WiFi is still working.

Guest Cryptochrome
7 minutes ago, BlueMoonRising said:

My WiFi is set the same as yours although once I've finished whatever I'm doing I turn it off anyway. When you say FULLY OFF do you mean shut down? if so there's no way your WiFi is still working.

Yes I do mean shut down. I turn Wi-Fi off when I'm done as well, but as you can see even when the phone was shut down and charging overnight, the Wi-Fi was constantly on and the battery only reached 87%, like usual.

Guest ovecka

Err. How do you know you wifi is on when your phone is turned off? I'm just wondering. From your picture, the wifi was certainly off during charging

Edited by ovecka

Guest Cryptochrome
2 hours ago, ovecka said:

Err. How do you know you wifi is on when your phone is turned off? I'm just wondering. From your picture, the wifi was certainly off during charging

Yes, it was charging, but if you look at how long the Wi-Fi was on, it was on ALL NIGHT, even when the Wi-Fi was turned off and the phone shut down. I think this is the reason my phone never charges to 100% overnight.

Guest BlueMoonRising
20 hours ago, Cryptochrome said:

Yes I do mean shut down. I turn Wi-Fi off when I'm done as well, but as you can see even when the phone was shut down and charging overnight, the Wi-Fi was constantly on and the battery only reached 87%, like usual.

That's weird, have you tried changing "Keep Wi-Fi on during sleep" to Never? If it really keeps it on (even when the phone is supposed to be shut down, odd as that sounds) perhaps that setting isn't toggling anything at all.

If I remember I'll put mine on WiFi tonight and shut the phone down to see what it does.

Guest Cryptochrome
1 hour ago, BlueMoonRising said:

That's weird, have you tried changing "Keep Wi-Fi on during sleep" to Never? If it really keeps it on (even when the phone is supposed to be shut down, odd as that sounds) perhaps that setting isn't toggling anything at all.

If  I remember I'll put mine on WiFi tonight and shut the phone down to see what it does.

I've had to reply within your quote because it screwed up. I guess I'll put "keep Wi-Fi on during sleep" to "never" tonight see what happens. Thanks for your help! :)

Guest BlueMoonRising
On 6/5/2016 at 10:10 AM, Cryptochrome said:
On 6/5/2016 at 9:00 AM, BlueMoonRising said:

If  I remember I'll put mine on WiFi tonight and shut the phone down to see what it does.

I've had to reply within your quote because it screwed up. I guess I'll put "keep Wi-Fi on during sleep" to "never" tonight see what happens. Thanks for your help! :)

I tried the above and my phone entirely shut down with no battery used all night. WiFi was left on and set for 'Always' on in advanced setting. I've never rooted and am just on the standard 5.1.1 Turkish rom if that makes any difference.

Guest hcardoso483

I'm not really sure but I believe that your battery needs calibration ppl will say that it calibrates it self since android 4.0 but the thing is if you can't get it to 100% it does not do it automatically so get a calibration app turn the phone of charge it to 100% while of turn it on then and run the app, not sure if it does the trick but good luck whit it...

Guest BlueMoonRising
2 hours ago, hcardoso483 said:

I'm not really sure but I believe that your battery needs calibration ppl will say that it calibrates it self since android 4.0 but the thing is if you can't get it to 100% it does not do it automatically so get a calibration app turn the phone of charge it to 100% while of turn it on then and run the app, not sure if it does the trick but good luck whit it...

I don't think you've read the original post correctly.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Cryptochrome
On 05/06/2016 at 9:00 AM, BlueMoonRising said:

If I remember I'll put mine on WiFi tonight and shut the phone down to see what it does.

I know this is late, my phone was being repaired and took 10 days, but I tried this and it seems to work. No battery used overnight. I'll try again tonight and if it works again I guess that's what I'll have to do!

Guest Cryptochrome
On 21/06/2016 at 7:06 AM, Cryptochrome said:

I know this is late, my phone was being repaired and took 10 days, but I tried this and it seems to work. No battery used overnight. I'll try again tonight and if it works again I guess that's what I'll have to do!

What I've noticed is that when I leave a place with WiFi which I'm connected to, then the WiFi constantly stays on. However, if I turn off WiFi BEFORE I leave the place with WiFi, it remains off. I have no idea why this is or how to fix it. Another thing is if I charge my phone during the day where I can get it up to 100%, the battery drains extremely fast down to about 87%, where it decreases like normal.

I know this is late but if anyone's got any ideas as to what's causing this, it will be appreciated. :)

Edited by Cryptochrome

• 8 months later...

Hi

I own a Smart Ultra 6 and have found that WIFI is definitely on even when the phone is shutdown. I discovered this by accident when looking at the client list on my cable router and saw a android device with an IP address even though my phone was shutdown. I tested this by placing the phone in a metal box and, like magic, the IP address disappeared, only to return when I retrieved the phone from the box, which was acting as a faraday cage and blocking the WIFI signal. Creepy! What else is on when the phone is shutdown I wonder?  There seems to be little to no affect on battery life but this is still out of order in my opinion. Off should mean off, shut down mean shutdown.

Aubz