[PORT][ROM][15.7.] Remix OS 2.0 (Android 5.1.1) for Cube iWork8 Ultimate & iWork8 Air

Guest KonstaT

Guest KonstaT
20 hours ago, PalmTrees said:

Hi KonstaT, 

First and foremost, thanks a lot for making Remix OS available for my tablet. 

I was wondering if you could provide a guide on how to only install Remix OS and have no Android and Windows partitions. I managed to install the Android only via the solution on techtablets.com. The bootloader deletes all data, since it expects 'android_' and well, gets 'android_' now that windows is removed. Thus I can't install the TWRP zip via TWRP. I've tried many different things, but still can't get a breakthrough. 

I hope you have a solution. Thanks in advance. 

EDIT: I've managed to install it. Cube iWork8 Air with Remix OS 2.0 as the only OS. 25 GB free space. Everything's working. AnTuTu score of 58.xxx. 

Remix OS is Android so you'll need all the Android partitions (explained in this post).

I'm not sure what solution you're talking about but removing Windows partitions doesn't affect your ability to install TWRP. Actually only makes it easier as you can also use 'fastboot flash' to install.

Glad you got it sorted out. :)

Edited by KonstaT

Guest PalmTrees
1 hour ago, KonstaT said:

Remix OS is Android so you'll need all the Android partitions (explained in this post).

I'm not sure what solution you're talking about but removing Windows partitions doesn't affect your ability to install TWRP. Actually only makes it easier as you can also use 'fastboot flash' to install.

Glad you got it sorted out. :)

I'm still fairly new to all of this, but getting the hang of it after flashing Cyanogenmod on my Mi4C and now 'practicing' with the iWork Air 8 :). 

The "fastboot flash recovery [filename]" was exactly what did the trick. Keep up the good work! It seems that with Remix OS only, the benchmarks are slightly higher than when running Android. I can post my findings, but I'm not sure it's relevant. 

22 hours ago, PalmTrees said:

I'm still fairly new to all of this, but getting the hang of it after flashing Cyanogenmod on my Mi4C and now 'practicing' with the iWork Air 8 :). 

The "fastboot flash recovery [filename]" was exactly what did the trick. Keep up the good work! It seems that with Remix OS only, the benchmarks are slightly higher than when running Android. I can post my findings, but I'm not sure it's relevant. 

Another iWork8 Air owner! Eventually someone bought this piece of cr**! :D

Sorry if I ask, could you please tell me the build number of your stock rom (under settings->information)?

Should be something like: I1-TF_V1.0_20160527, is it?

Have you ever had problems with missing audio in Kodi, Youtube?

thanks!

Guest PalmTrees
48 minutes ago, jmad said:

Another iWork8 Air owner! Eventually someone bought this piece of cr**! :D

Sorry if I ask, could you please tell me the build number of your stock rom (under settings->information)?

Should be something like: I1-TF_V1.0_20160527, is it?

Have you ever had problems with missing audio in Kodi, Youtube?

thanks!

I bought mine in the summer. Just haven't modified it up until now. I do not share your perception of this device, I think it's brilliant taking the price into consideration. 

I've switched to Remix OS, so I can't tell you the build number of the stock rom.

Reading your post, I decided to test Kodi, YouTube (app) with the built in speaker and with a bluetooth speaker. Everything works flawlessly.

My best advice is to give Remix OS a go and see if that fixes the problems.  

Guest KonstaT
2 hours ago, Ric_82 said:

What would happen if I try to install the latest build of Remix OS on my iWork8 Air through the standard procedure for Desktop computer(http://www.jide.com/remixos-for-pc)?

Wll I loose touchscreen controls and other I1-TF specific drivers and features?

Yeah, things like that touchscreen and audio won't work for sure. Maybe some other hardware (bluetooth, wifi, camera, sensors, etc) is broken as well.

Edited by KonstaT

23 hours ago, PalmTrees said:

I bought mine in the summer. Just haven't modified it up until now. I do not share your perception of this device, I think it's brilliant taking the price into consideration. 

I've switched to Remix OS, so I can't tell you the build number of the stock rom.

Reading your post, I decided to test Kodi, YouTube (app) with the built in speaker and with a bluetooth speaker. Everything works flawlessly.

My best advice is to give Remix OS a go and see if that fixes the problems.  

Well, I would agree with you if it wasn't for this annoying bug of muted audio (most of the times in Kodi, seldom in youtube) and an unresposive touchscreen near borders.

Also a few hours ago I noticed an always-on pixel that wasn't there before today. :(

Okok, it's a good piece of hardware after all. :D

I installed Remix OS: YT and Kodi worked fine! Unfortunately DropSync (automatic synchronizer for the DropBox service, a thing that I need to have installed and running) does not work: no authorization is given from the dropbox server via web browser to the android application.

Also I didn't like the interface so much... :(

Thanks for your advice anyway!

Guest tomshreds
On 11/12/2016 at 0:03 PM, PalmTrees said:

Hi KonstaT, 

I was wondering if you could provide a guide on how to only install Remix OS and have no Android and Windows partitions. I managed to install the Android only via the solution on techtablets.com. The bootloader deletes all data, since it expects 'android_' and well, gets 'android_' now that windows is removed. Thus I can't install the TWRP zip via TWRP. I've tried many different things, but still can't get a breakthrough. 

EDIT: I've managed to install it. Cube iWork8 Air with Remix OS 2.0 as the only OS. 25 GB free space. Everything's working. AnTuTu score of 58.xxx. 

I'm happy to read that you've been able to do so as it's exactly what I want to do with mine when I receive it!

Overall would you say that Remix OS is better than Cyanogenmod? I used cyanogenmod in the past but never Remix OS.

Guest PalmTrees
11 hours ago, tomshreds said:

I'm happy to read that you've been able to do so as it's exactly what I want to do with mine when I receive it!

Overall would you say that Remix OS is better than Cyanogenmod? I used cyanogenmod in the past but never Remix OS.

I've never used Cyanogenmod on this device. Recently installed it on my phone and so far I like it. However, I've been using/testing Remix OS on PC for a good 6 months or so, which meant the transition to Remix OS on tablet was smooth. Albeit it's "only" version 2.0 that's available for tablets, I'm very pleased with the performance and haven't had any issues. Been thinking about testing Cyanogenmod on this device, but now I'm all set with Remix OS 2.0 and enjoy it, so why bother :) 

That being said, flashing Cyanogenmod 12.1/13, Remix OS or even the stock rom (should you want that) is fairly easy. My advice is to play around and see which rom you prefer, once you get the device. 

Guest tomshreds
25 minutes ago, PalmTrees said:

I've never used Cyanogenmod on this device. Recently installed it on my phone and so far I like it. However, I've been using/testing Remix OS on PC for a good 6 months or so, which meant the transition to Remix OS on tablet was smooth. Albeit it's "only" version 2.0 that's available for tablets, I'm very pleased with the performance and haven't had any issues. Been thinking about testing Cyanogenmod on this device, but now I'm all set with Remix OS 2.0 and enjoy it, so why bother :) 

That being said, flashing Cyanogenmod 12.1/13, Remix OS or even the stock rom (should you want that) is fairly easy. My advice is to play around and see which rom you prefer, once you get the device. 

Thanks a lot for your reply! That's what I'm going to do, juggling between both to see which one I like the most.

Any advice on which one is the most stable of the two? Thanks again!

Guest PalmTrees
3 hours ago, tomshreds said:

Thanks a lot for your reply! That's what I'm going to do, juggling between both to see which one I like the most.

Any advice on which one is the most stable of the two? Thanks again!

Sure, no problem :) 

Based on the feedback here at Modaco, it seems Remix OS is the best choice, as of now. But without testing any of the Cyanogenmod roms or seeing any benchmark comparisons, I wont be the judge. 

Guest KonstaT
2 hours ago, cluber77 said:
  • "Audio not routed through HDMI" Its' working on this rom?
  • do we have root on this rom?
  • can we move apps to SD card?
  • IIRC routing audio though HDMI works here.
  • FAQ, third post of this thread.
  • No. Also asked and answered several times already.
2 hours ago, DrorAlumot said:

Is there any way to enable exfat support?

There's an universal flashable zip available somewhere in XDA that'll probably work.

Guest tomshreds
On 11/12/2016 at 0:03 PM, PalmTrees said:

Hi KonstaT, 

Quick question before I try to flash Remix OS on my tablet. I want to do as you did and have the whole 32gb for Remix OS. I have the proper setup info for all of this but I'm not sure about the order I should do them.

Proper order of installing things should be:

1- Install TWRP first so I can be able to flash/boot anything else

This part I'm unsure about:
2.1- With TWRP: Flash this 32gb version of the rom? 
http://techtablets.com/forum/topic/cube-iwokr8-air-android-os-only-solution

2.2- With TWRP: What about dm-verity tweaks mentioned here? Do I need to flash this too before Remix OS?

3- With TWRP: Flash Remix OS, Flash the L1-TF patch
4- Install SuperSU
5- Profit???

Thanks!

Edited by tomshreds

Guest KonstaT
2 hours ago, tomshreds said:

Quick question before I try to flash Remix OS on my tablet. I want to do as you did and have the whole 32gb for Remix OS. I have the proper setup info for all of this but I'm not sure about the order I should do them.

Proper order of installing things should be:

1- Install TWRP first so I can be able to flash/boot anything else

This part I'm unsure about:
2.1- With TWRP: Flash this 32gb version of the rom? 
http://techtablets.com/forum/topic/cube-iwokr8-air-android-os-only-solution

2.2- With TWRP: What about dm-verity tweaks mentioned here? Do I need to flash this too before Remix OS?

3- With TWRP: Flash Remix OS, Flash the L1-TF patch
4- Install SuperSU
5- Profit???

Thanks!

1. No. You can install it if you want to have a practice round but _everything_ gets erased from the devive in the next step anyway.
2.1. No. You use Intel Platform Flash Tool to install full stock firmware with modified partition table.
2.2. No. Remix OS already comes dm-verity disabled. You'll need to install that only if you want to use stock firmware and modify /system partition somehow (e.g. SuperSU, etc).

Rest seems reasonable.

Guest tomshreds
14 minutes ago, KonstaT said:

1. No. You can install it if you want to have a practice round but _everything_ gets erased from the devive in the next step anyway.
2.1. No. You use Intel Platform Flash Tool to install full stock firmware with modified partition table.
2.2. No. Remix OS already comes dm-verity disabled. You'll need to install that only if you want to use stock firmware and modify /system partition somehow (e.g. SuperSU, etc).

Rest seems reasonable.

Marvelous! this answers all my questions!

I'll report back once I'm done :D

Thanks!

Guest tomshreds

I'm back! Tablet is working fine with Remix OS! Got everything working.

Here's a few issues I found related to the stability of the rom:

1- High: Microsoft accounts aren't working. I need to login to my for OneNote and tapping on sign in crashes the app. I can't add a Microsoft account manually either, it doesn't ask for any credentials, it simply adds an empty microsoft account.

2- Low: A few graphical glitches. In Chrome when pages are loading we can see a few artifacts/glitches besides the tab. (Loading spinning wheel glitching maybe?)

3- Critical: Sleep issues. When NOT charging/plugged and left over 15+ minutes with the screen off, it seems to go into deep sleep or something and won't come back! Whatever button I press it doesn't wake up except when I hard reboot it. Otherwise it seems it's not happening when the tablet is connected to a power source since I left it overnight and it was working properly the next morning.

4- Low: Cursor issues. Placing the cursor to correct spelling is mostly impossible since the cursor always appears a little bit off from where it really is. It ultimately reposition at the right position after a few seconds. I attached pictures of what it looks like immediately after I pressed somewhere in the text to make a correction.

Sorry for the ugly pictures/screenshots. I wasn't able to snap screenshots using Remix OS since it was hidding the cursor in the screenshots :P

Great job, I love Remix OS!

EDIT: Added critical sleep issue.

1.JPG

2.JPG

Edited by tomshreds

Guest PalmTrees
9 hours ago, tomshreds said:

I'm back! Tablet is working fine with Remix OS! Got everything working.

Here's a few issues I found related to the stability of the rom:

1- High: Microsoft accounts aren't working. I need to login to my for OneNote and tapping on sign in crashes the app. I can't add a Microsoft account manually either, it doesn't ask for any credentials, it simply adds an empty microsoft account.

2- Low: A few graphical glitches. In Chrome when pages are loading we can see a few artifacts/glitches besides the tab. (Loading spinning wheel glitching maybe?)

3- Critical: Sleep issues. When NOT charging/plugged and left over 15+ minutes with the screen off, it seems to go into deep sleep or something and won't come back! Whatever button I press it doesn't wake up except when I hard reboot it. Otherwise it seems it's not happening when the tablet is connected to a power source since I left it overnight and it was working properly the next morning.

4- Low: Cursor issues. Placing the cursor to correct spelling is mostly impossible since the cursor always appears a little bit off from where it really is. It ultimately reposition at the right position after a few seconds. I attached pictures of what it looks like immediately after I pressed somewhere in the text to make a correction.

Sorry for the ugly pictures/screenshots. I wasn't able to snap screenshots using Remix OS since it was hidding the cursor in the screenshots :P

Great job, I love Remix OS. 

1. Only experienced one app that didn't work. I've read on XDA (though not related to Cube iWork) that users have had success in using older version of the .apk that is causing troubles (again, not OneNote specific, but worth a try). 

2. I'd recommend using Firefox (install uBlock origin as addon). I've haven't noticed any limits or glitches with that setup. 

3. Have you tried pressing the power button for 5-8 seconds and let go, then press again normally. That usually wakes it up (either in the first or second attempt. 

4. Not quite sure what to make of it. Did you remember to wipe (factory resey) in TWRP? "If you are switching ROMs (changing from one ROM to a completely different one) then you should perform a factory reset. A factory reset wipes data and cache (which includes dalvik cache)." (https://twrp.me/faq/whattowipe.html)

Guest KonstaT
On 11/29/2016 at 7:04 PM, tomshreds said:

Not an issue with this ROM. This has been reported on other iWork8 Air devices and it happens no matter which ROM you're running.

Guest tomshreds
17 hours ago, PalmTrees said:

1. Only experienced one app that didn't work. I've read on XDA (though not related to Cube iWork) that users have had success in using older version of the .apk that is causing troubles (again, not OneNote specific, but worth a try).

Believe it or not, I installed a version from 2014; Logged in with that one; Opened Google Play; Updated the app; Restarted it and my session is still opened so the new version of the app works now! hahahaha thanks for the suggestion!

17 hours ago, PalmTrees said:

Yes I wiped everything before proceeding so I doubt that's related. I noticed it doesn't happen in all the apps though.

42 minutes ago, KonstaT said:

Not an issue with this ROM. This has been reported on other iWork8 Air devices and it happens no matter which ROM you're running.

Really? I haven't had the time to notice while on the stock ROM. Is there any workaround you could suggest to prevent this? I like to leave my tablet at the side of my bed, and this morning it was once again stuck and had to reboot it. I read about app keeping the device awake but I guess it keeps the screens on and drains the battery pretty quick... Any suggestions?

Edited by tomshreds

Guest PalmTrees

I experience the same with the battery drain. However, one way of extending the batterylife is to turn off WiFi when the tablet isn't used and of course Bluetooth (can't remember if it's turned on by default in Remix OS). Another thing worth trying is downloading 360 Security (or whatever cleaning/security tool of your choice) and clean memory. Alternatively, there's a memory clean up tool in Remix OS down in the toolbar. 

Glad the .apk workaround worked for you - seems like a universal solution to the problem :)  

Guest tomshreds
1 hour ago, PalmTrees said:

I experience the same with the battery drain. However, one way of extending the batterylife is to turn off WiFi when the tablet isn't used and of course Bluetooth (can't remember if it's turned on by default in Remix OS). Another thing worth trying is downloading 360 Security (or whatever cleaning/security tool of your choice) and clean memory. Alternatively, there's a memory clean up tool in Remix OS down in the toolbar. 

Glad the .apk workaround worked for you - seems like a universal solution to the problem :)  

It's not really a battery drain since once rebooted the battery is totally fine. I found a workaround last night. I used the "Standby" function in the start menu to shut it down and when I woke up this morning I pressed power and it started back with last night's state, all my apps opened etc. I'll try it again tonight to see if it works 100% but at least I'm not stuck rebooting it every time I left it somewhere for too long without using it.

It's cool to have so many APKs around of each app online, I just try my best not to get any malware though :P I use Malwarebytes to scan what I download. Never tried 360 security, maybe I should give it a go. 

Guest PalmTrees

Update: Standby is really working wonders for me. Fully charged yesterday, used it for 20-30 minutes, standby, and now just woke the device, still at 78% battery. Thanks a lot, tomshreds. 

I'll post this on techtablets.  Can you post this on Techtablets forum? I can't seem to login :(

Edited by PalmTrees