2xSIMs and microSD card possible ? -yes but not advised -read on..

Guest xzyk

Warning:
During this process i damaged one 8GB microSD and 2xSIMs. The most important part to be very careful with and avoid at all costs is damage to the phone, like the simtray getting stuck or something falling off the simtray and inside the phone.

Using both SIMs and microSD is possible on our Honor 5C but it's not easy and I absolutely accept no responsibility for anyone trying this and ending up with any problems on their phones. My advise is that unless you absolutely need the extra storage don't even try it; you have been warned!

Good points:
1. SIM cards are cheap to buy.
2. Transferring number from one SIM to another is easy, some operators even allow this via SMS message as long as it's like for like,e.g. vodafone to vodafone, otherwise PAC code (for the UK don't know about other countries) is required.
3. MicroSD cards are also becoming relatively cheap especially in smaller capacities; 8GB.

Bad points:
1. It is not easy to shave off the right amount off the microSD to mount the SIM on top and get the dimension right.
2. Possibility of getting the SIM tray stuck without being able to take out again especially if you try and force the sim tray in and the mounting of the SIM onto the microSD is not secured, i.e. the mounted SIM can become loose when trying to open the sim tray and then everything gets stuck inside.

Watch any of these vids (or search for more yourselves for "dual sim and SD card" ):

My process was as follows:
1. Bought a couple of SIM cards . 
    1.1 If wanting to transfer number from old SIM to this new one, make a note of the SIM (13 or 19 digit) number printed on the back of the SIM (or on the packaging). This will be required by your operator during the number transfer process.
2. Used a lighter, as shown in one of the vids to extract the SIM from it's plastic. Also tested the extracted SIM in an older phone using a SIM adaptor to make sure the SIM was still functional after extraction because the heating process could possibly damage it.
3. Marked which way round the SIM is to be mounted on the microSD.
4. Used masking tape to mask the contacts on the microSD; obviously removed on every insertion attempt. Only did this to make sure i don't accidentally damage the microSD contacts during the filing process.
5. Filed down both sides of the microSD card using a nail-filer. 

File only the portion where the SIM is going to be placed, don't file the 'lip' at the end of the microSD (this 'lip' is on the opposite side of the contacts) card cause this is what holds it in place in the simtray.
This is one of the tricky bits, you have to ensure that you file down enough so that when the SIM is mounted onto it the sim tray goes in not too tightly and both microSD card and SIM card contacts can be made, but at the same time if you file down too much you can damage the microSD. I just persisted with trial and error trying to insert the sim tray (not all the way) and then checking the microSD was still readable via a card reader on my laptop after each nail-filer shave. 
What I found is that getting the phone to see both SIM cards was not too difficult,  the problem is getting it to see the microSD card also.This is beause when you mount the SIM on the microSD card the chip that exists on the SIM raises the SIM card so that the pins on the microSD end up being lower than the SIM card contacts. It is the reason why the filing down of the microSD is so important and tricky, the idea here is that there is not much horizontal difference between the microSD and SIM contacts.Try to imagine what is happening when you insert the simtray. Contacts inside the phone have to touch all contacts (i.e. both SIMs and microSD) to make this hack work properly.

So, I repeat, I take no responsability for any damage you guys could end up causing to your phones if you get this wrong. But with a lot of patience and trial and error it is possible as evidence with the screenshot attached.
Note both SIM signal indicators active and 32GB FAT32 Sony SD card shown active.

Screenshot_2016-07-17-16-14-07.png

Edited by xzyk
additions, typo on title.