Hudl 2 connects to wifi but Tesco update server not switched on

Guest Emphatic Groan

Guest Rpt3fois
On 3/18/2019 at 10:16 AM, Viv01 said:

It will certainly be interesting to see what Tesco IT's reply To BelAstair's message is....it could be quite revealing.

My guess is that they've gone for the 'end of useful life' approach not because they can't generate a solution, but because they've been told by higher management that it isn't acceptable to generate one that commits Tesco to any further support resource in future. I feel sure that's the real sticking point....

Indeed, I'm certain that it is fear of ongoing support that they do not want to pay for, perhaps even the likelihood of people associating them forever with failing Hudl's going forward despite any open-sourcing solution they might allow us.

Still galling that I can't even use it as a dumb book reader, photo viewer, etc., only because of it being so inextricably linked with the supplier who are abandoning it without warning.

Guest Dave the bus

Sorry to say this but everyone who has a hudl will be told its end of life and tesco will not do anything.. I have contacted BBC watchdog and am waiting a reply but tesco will NOT be held responsible to its customers for this disgusting betrayal they have left us with (I have 2 hudl 2"s) I for one will never buy from them again

Guest grocer

Back in February Tesco were informing some Hudl owners that they were aware of a problem and were investigating.This was followed a little later with a set of instructions on how to deal with the problem,but as we now know these instructions did not work for most owners. Following further complaints to Tesco it would seem they now say - -sorry, the tablets have reached the end of their life.This is patently not true as many Hudls are still working away - unless their owner tried a Factory reset.!  I am not a lawyer but surely any reasonable person reading the initial response from Tesco would be entitled to conclude that by agreeing there was a problem and issuing instructions for its solution Tesco were admitting it was their responsibility.To now say the tablets are finished and they are no longer responsible is,surely, unacceptable.

I am pleased that so many of us have contacted various Consumer Rights  organisations and am hoping that perhaps one of their legal experts will consider following this up. 

Guest Aislingeanbeag

After much wailing and gnashing of teeth and a long period of inactivity I today tried again 
HUDL HT753 android 4.2.2 has let me in and appears to be operational
I replaced the screen just after New Year and did the reset and hit the barrier. Tesco help gave the usual we are working but never heard any more 
Yesterday I found this thread and today I thought lets try the solution
Fired up and it accepted the previously entered wifi network and proceeded to update apps  
So now Everything appears to work and I have a home screen with live wallpaper
I now need to know what I should be testing to verify it is fully working

Edited by Aislingeanbeag
spelling

Guest Anna65

Well well well… I've just sat down at my computer for the first time today and checked my emails. First I came across a reply to my email to Consumer Champions at The Guardian last week, and they say as follows:

"Hi - I asked Tesco about your case and this is what they have said....

A Tesco spokesperson said: "We’re aware of a technical issue affecting a number of Hudl users and apologize to customers for any inconvenience caused. We have already fixed the issue for the majority of those who have contacted us and are urgently working on resolving any outstanding queries."

Background

A number of Hudl devices are experiencing difficulties connecting to the Hudl server. Tesco have not switched off the Hudl servers, this was not the cause of the issue.

This can be fixed for newer versions of Hudl 2 devices. Customers wanting more information on how to resolve the issue can visit our dedicated customer support website www.tesco.com/productsupporttesco or contact us directly.

We are working hard to resolve the issue for older versions of Hudl devices as quickly as possible."

My first reaction was frustration, since we know that most of us do NOT have working hudls, so Tesco's above claim sounded like an outright lie.

Then I read the email notification of Aislingeanbeag's post here on the forum and I decided to fire up a bunch of hudl2s that were previously stuck on the "Couldn't check for updates" and, lo and behold, they all went past that screen now! Doesn't seem to matter whether you say Update Now or Not Now, both options take you through to the home screen! However, on all of them I have trouble getting Google Play store to work, on a couple of them I did get the app updates to start downloading after a few attempts of only getting a blank Play store screen, but on the other two I'm still struggling. Don't know what I did differently on the first two so I will still have to do some more investigating to figure out a sure-fire way of getting the Play store to work. 

But looks like Tesco may have paid heed to (sorry I forget your handle)'s post detailing the exact response the server should be giving and that they didn't lie to The Guardian! Please let us know how the rest of you get on with your hudls!

Guest BellAlistair

Excellent news, I see Tesco have now changed the response of their servers to return the Null identified by ChrisEvilGenius as a suitable response and which my earlier instructions were based around. Assuming they are going to maintain this position going forward it looks all is well in the land of Hudl (excepting Tesco no longer providing updates which is not a disaster albeit disappointing that there was no notice)

When I got my Hudl working it took a play store update before it started functioning properly so bear with it, if it doesn't sort itself out I suggest clearing all the data associated with Google Play Services and Google Play Store in the Hudl Settings menu under Apps.

(Needless to say I haven't heard anything back from Tesco in response to my technical email...)

Edited by BellAlistair
Double post avoidance

Guest Anna65

PS. More specifically, I do get the Google Play store home screen, and I have even tried installing a simple app (Sketch - for most others it tells me "your device is not compatible with this version") and that works, but what doesn't work is checking for updates to all the pre-installed apps. When I click on the Menu, My Apps, which should trigger a check for available updates, I just get a blank screen with a circle going round and round... I've tried other routes, e.g. there's a notification pops up to say Google+ requires an update, I've clicked on it to try to get play store to work, but it doesn't (and it won't update Google+). I've tried launching YouTube, which tells me a newer version is available, Install now?, but this doesn't work either (I get a blank Play Store screen which says "Item not available"). 

I factory reset both tablets and started again. On one I chose "Download" at checking for updates, the other I selected "Not now". No difference, neither play store works. I've done some basic trouble-shooting, such as turning off and on again, checking that automatic updates is on, but no clue yet. I'll continue trying things. If someone else has already figured it out, let me know!

Guest Daveab

Brilliant mines gone past the update screen now ? fingers crossed it solves everyone's problem.

Anyone know if I can still update the OS mines still on 4.4.2

Edited by Daveab

Guest razzler

Hi All!

I have just successfully factory reset my Hudl 1 (HT7P16S3) through the boot menu details below...

Android version 4.2.2

Kernel version 3.0.36+

Build number JDQ39.20140424.153851

...so (from my POV) the Tesco/MS servers are now giving the correct response to let the Hudl 1 reset complete to a proper conclusion.

After reset I followed the steps in Anna65's post of the 27th February

• On the “Hello” start-up screen, select Start.

• Select the your WiFi connection – and log in!

• On the Terms & Conditions pop-up box, select Continue.

• When asked if you’d like to add a Google Account or sign up for one, select No.

• Untick both boxes in Google & Location and tap the arrow to proceed.

• On “Have a Tesco Account”, select No.

• On Register with Tesco, select Skip.

• You’ll see Checking for Updates and Updating Apps progress pages.

• When asked to update apps, select Not Now.

• Select Finish.

• You’ll now be taken to the Home screen of your Hudl and you’ll be able to use it as normal.

BUT after I got to the home screen I went into applications and cleared the data, disabled notifications, force stopped then disabled the below, mostly Tesco, bloatware...

• Blinkbox

• Blinkbox music

• Blinkbox widget

• Clubcard TV

• Getting Started

• Google+ – Never used this App (think this might be discontinued now anyway)

• Groceries

• Groceries widget

• Hangouts – Never used this App

• Picasa Uploader – Picasa is now defunct anyway

• Store Locator

• Tesco Account Manager

• Tesco Clubcard

• Tesco Direct

• Tesco World

I then opened Play Store and signed in with my account and let it update the apps it wanted to, but please note that the Play Store App itself and possibly a few other base Google services need to update themselves first and this can look like the Play Store has frozen on a partially empty screen for about 5ish minutes. Once the PS has updated the other Apps start updating.

I now have a fully working Hudl 1...!

Edited by razzler
added more info!

Guest Sdroidz

This sounds fantastic, I'll test my HUDL1 later.  It looks like a bit of crowd-sourced technical knowledge and perseverance here paid off and probably helped Tescos resolve the issue for everyone. Hopefully they leave the server on for a few more years.

Guest Anna65
1 hour ago, razzler said:

I then opened Play Store and signed in with my account and let it update the apps it wanted to, but please note that the Play Store App itself and possibly a few other base Google services need to update themselves first and this can look like the Play Store has frozen on a partially empty screen for about 5ish minutes. Once the PS has updated the other Apps start updating.

Yes, I have found this to be the case for hudl2s too, however it's not always that straightforward - sometimes the Play Store and Google Play Services seem to update themselves in the background like you say, and in this case, yes, the play store will start working after a while and it is possible to kick off all the other app updates (and there's no specific NEED to disable certain apps, only if you yourself specifically want to, but you can leave them all active and let them update themselves, it doesn't cause any problems).

However, in some hudl2s the play store and google play services DON'T seem to update themselves automatically however long you wait (I have left some since yesterday, turned them off and on again sporadically, and still today the play store doesn't work). I've figured out one workaround so far, it is to open an app that needs updating, I've used YouTube since it happens to sit next to the play store icon, and it'll tell me that a newer version is available, Install Now? which I do. However, after the installation when I try to open YouTube it tells me that to run it needs Google Play Services to be updated, Update now? And once Google Play Services have updated, THEN the play store also works as it should. Still need to figure out if there's an easier way to trigger the update to Google Play Services when it doesn't happen by itself.

Edited by Anna65

Guest Viv01
2 hours ago, razzler said:

Hi All!

I have just successfully factory reset my Hudl 1 (HT7P16S3) through the boot menu details below...

Android version 4.2.2

Kernel version 3.0.36+

Build number JDQ39.20140424.153851

...so (from my POV) the Tesco/MS servers are now giving the correct response to let the Hudl 1 reset complete to a proper conclusion.

After reset I followed the steps in Anna65's post of the 27th February

• On the “Hello” start-up screen, select Start.

• Select the your WiFi connection – and log in!

• On the Terms & Conditions pop-up box, select Continue.

• When asked if you’d like to add a Google Account or sign up for one, select No.

• Untick both boxes in Google & Location and tap the arrow to proceed.

• On “Have a Tesco Account”, select No.

• On Register with Tesco, select Skip.

• You’ll see Checking for Updates and Updating Apps progress pages.

• When asked to update apps, select Not Now.

• Select Finish.

• You’ll now be taken to the Home screen of your Hudl and you’ll be able to use it as normal.

BUT after I got to the home screen I went into applications and cleared the data, disabled notifications, force stopped then disabled the below, mostly Tesco, bloatware...

• Blinkbox

• Blinkbox music

• Blinkbox widget

• Clubcard TV

• Getting Started

• Google+ – Never used this App (think this might be discontinued now anyway)

• Groceries

• Groceries widget

• Hangouts – Never used this App

• Picasa Uploader – Picasa is now defunct anyway

• Store Locator

• Tesco Account Manager

• Tesco Clubcard

• Tesco Direct

• Tesco World

I now have a fully working Hudl 1...!

Progress at last - a nice demonstration of the power of social media.....well done to everyone who contributed. The only questions now are a) whether Tesco's mods will allow all affected HUDLs to be setup correctly...and b) when they are likely to switch their servers off/withdraw support again.....suggest we get the message out to as many folks with factory-reset machines as possible -  just in case this is sooner rather than later.

FYI, I can report another successful setup - HUDL1 details are v4.2.2;  Kernel 3.0.36+; Build JDQ39.20140424.153851

Guest BuddyB

At last!  I did the exact same thing as razzler (learned that lesson from so many previous attempts!) and my hudl1 is working.  The only extra thing I did was to disable Chrome and install the Via browser which is much more lightweight. 

Just want to say a huge thank you to everyone on this thread and to the other MoDaCo members over the last few years who posted solutions that helped us find workarounds until the final solution was found. You are all stars and a perfect example to our current government of how working together can achieve results (sorry for getting political!). 

Edited by BuddyB

Guest Baldi80

YES! My Hudl 1 has got past the setup process (at long last)!

Massive congratulations to everyone on this forum for working together to figure out the nature of the technical side of the failure and keeping pressure on Tesco to support this much loved line of tablets...

Was holding off mentioning it until I saw how it played out but I'd been in contact with the BBC (producer of "Rip Off Britain) and they were interested in this case, but then have gone quiet in recent days... I reckon Tesco have probably told them that they are sorting it so it's no longer a story worth the BBC's time and effort to follow up on.

I suspect that Tesco's have been contacted by several media outlets recently and this may have contributed to a change of heart with regards to continued technical support for the Hudl line.

As others have mentioned though, hope this doesn't come back around in a few years time when management changes and they look to shave a few quid off of their tech support budgets...

Team effort in action! Great stuff!

Guest Mel.D

Just received this reply from Tesco's Lewis Gorrie to an email I sent 13 March. I must say it sounds encouraging for the older Hudls, especially after all the "end of life" responses folk have been receiving of late.

"I’ve just spoken to our support team about this, and I’m told that we are continuing to work on a solution which we hope will allow older Hudls to work again.
I can’t give a timescale, but any fix will be posted on our product support website as soon as we have it. You will find this at www.tesco.com/productsupporttesco, following the yellow banner at the top of the page for the latest update on Hudls.

Lewis Gorrie
Customer Service Executive to the Board
"

Guest MikeProbs2

Hi Everybody,

Can I just add my good news too, that my Hudl 1 is now up and running normally. I did have a problem signing in to my Google account, however,  at least initially, but I think that was because I seemed to be unable to get a Wi-Fi connection with any device for some, probably unrelated reason.

So, can I give a big thank you to each and every one of you, because if I had not discovered this forum I'm sure I would have just thrown my Hudl into a corner somewhere and probably never used it again. Indeed, I wonder how many people may have actually done just that!

Guest Dave the bus

Good news guy and gals ???? after having a blazing row with head office it seems something has been done and both my hudl"s are now working perfect... Let me know how you get on.. Very happy now.. Dave. ?????

Guest MikeProbs2

Hi Guys,

You may be interested to know that The Guardian (Saturday, page 55), has printed a story about this Hudl saga. Well done to the person who contacted them!

Guest Grannyfixit

Oh you wonderful, wonderful & persistent people! I was ready to throw my immaculate Hudl 1 in the recycler until you kicked Tesco into touch & got them all working again. I'm really grateful.

Guest Anna65
4 hours ago, MikeProbs2 said:

Hi Guys,

You may be interested to know that The Guardian (Saturday, page 55), has printed a story about this Hudl saga. Well done to the person who contacted them!

Very interesting! I believe I was the first, but not the only one, to write to the Guardian. Unfortunately I haven't bought the paper and my local shop doesn't have it and I can't find the story online. Any chance you can take a photo of it and upload it here so we can all read it?! ? Thanks!