Hudl 2 connects to wifi but Tesco update server not switched on

Guest Emphatic Groan

Mines just started working!

*update* - correction no it hasn’t - it let’s me through the first stage now, which is some progress on what was happening; but as post above said, now stalls on the “Couldn’t check for updates’ screen, neither the ‘check wifi’ nor ‘try again’ help, stuck in a loop.

Edited by MJE111
Correction

Guest Emphatic Groan

My Hudl2 is working! Finally past all the intial setup and into the home screen. Though don't seem to be able to update from Kitkat 4.4.2, it is reporting that it is up to date with that version...

Edited by Emphatic Groan

I've tried a couple of hudl2s now and as of a couple of days ago I can get a bit further, past entering the Google account and Tesco account, but then it checks for updates again and fails...

Ok, so I've just had an email from Tesco:

"

Hi,

I’m sorry you’ve had problems using your Hudl since performing a factory reset.

We’ve been working on a fix, and I’m happy to let you know that you’ll now be able to get your Hudl working again by following the steps below.

1. On the “Hello” start-up screen, select Start.

2. Select the your WiFi connection.

3. On the Terms & Conditions pop-up box, select Continue.

4. When asked if you’d like to add a Google Account or sign up for one, select No.

5. Untick both boxes in Google & Location and tap the arrow to proceed.

6. On “Have a Tesco Account”, select No.

7. On Register with Tesco, select Skip.

8. You’ll see Checking for Updates and Updating Apps progress pages.

9. When asked to update apps, select Not Now.

10. Select Finish.

11. You’ll now be taken to the Home screen of your Hudl and you’ll be able to use it as normal.

If you’ve any problems when following the above steps, please reply to the email, letting me know which step is causing the issue.

Thanks for your patience while we fixed this issue.

TTS OST"

And indeed, by unticking those two boxes in step 5 above, I can get in. However, after adding my Google account in Setting, Accounts, I still can't use the tablet - every app I click on says it has a newer version, go to Play Store to install... But Play Store isn't working, I just get a white, blank screen, which says Play Store in the top left corner but nothing else... So I'm not able to update any apps to the latest versions and therefore not able to use the tablet. Anyone else succeeding in updating and using apps? This is a hudl2.

Anna

Guest Emphatic Groan

When I tried it this afternoon, just went straight through to the home screen after skipping tesco account. All appes etc. updated correctly and the play store is working. The only thing I can't do is update Android - when I try to update manually it just says latest version installed (kitkat 4.4.2).

Guest PINGU121
31 minutes ago, Anna65 said:

Ok, so I've just had an email from Tesco:

"

Hi,

I’m sorry you’ve had problems using your Hudl since performing a factory reset.

We’ve been working on a fix, and I’m happy to let you know that you’ll now be able to get your Hudl working again by following the steps below.

1. On the “Hello” start-up screen, select Start.

2. Select the your WiFi connection.

3. On the Terms & Conditions pop-up box, select Continue.

4. When asked if you’d like to add a Google Account or sign up for one, select No.

5. Untick both boxes in Google & Location and tap the arrow to proceed.

6. On “Have a Tesco Account”, select No.

7. On Register with Tesco, select Skip.

8. You’ll see Checking for Updates and Updating Apps progress pages.

9. When asked to update apps, select Not Now.

10. Select Finish.

11. You’ll now be taken to the Home screen of your Hudl and you’ll be able to use it as normal.

If you’ve any problems when following the above steps, please reply to the email, letting me know which step is causing the issue.

Thanks for your patience while we fixed this issue.

TTS OST"

And indeed, by unticking those two boxes in step 5 above, I can get in. However, after adding my Google account in Setting, Accounts, I still can't use the tablet - every app I click on says it has a newer version, go to Play Store to install... But Play Store isn't working, I just get a white, blank screen, which says Play Store in the top left corner but nothing else... So I'm not able to update any apps to the latest versions and therefore not able to use the tablet. Anyone else succeeding in updating and using apps? This is a hudl2.

Anna

I was asked to do this today direct by Tesco support but I come undone at step 9 as I do not get an option not to update apps it just goes straight into update mode and then I get stuck in the loop.

Guest Sdroidz

Hudl 1 gets stuck at stage 8 - "couldn't check for updates" loop with [check Wi-Fi] and [try again] buttons. 

Hopefully they will release new firmwares once we get them booted so they are no longer dependent on the tesco servers. 

Guest Baldi80

Tried again this evening for Hudl 1 and as above, still getting stuck at the update stage.

Good to see that something is happening though and that Tesco at least appear to be genuinely looking for solutions.

Would be nice if they made the info for the specs/software open source or something. I'm sure I read somewhere that the Hudl tablets are fairly locked down software wise compared to others of the era. Way beyond my knowledge, but at least would give the coders, hackers and tinkerers out there something to go on to offer a community solution and maybe even an updated Android version ROM (probably a pipedream though).

Im considering approaching some teccy YouTubers and media outlets (consumer affairs shows on TV/radio) to try and get further traction on this, but don't want to rush to judgement if it's going to be sorted soon enough.

Glad that to see people coming together here, keeping eachother updated and keeping the pressure on...

Keep up the good work!

Also get further through than before, but stuck at the ‘Couldn’t check for updates’ stage. Hudl2.

Anna65 please can you report back on this to Tesco since you have the dialogue running, and this appears to be the the new log jam in the reset process!

Matt.

Guest Emphatic Groan

Very strange - am I the only person who has got past the initial setup?

My device already had the google account setup from last week when Tescos did whatever they did to get past the initial internet check. It was getting stuck on the 'check for updates' stage until yesterday, when switched on it checked for firmware updates and reported it was up to date, then went on to connect to the internet, update the rest of the apps and go on to the home screen.

The only thing it won't do is update Android, so still stuck on 4.4.2.

I just checked again and I still can't get past the checking for updates stage and there is no option to skip this stage (on a hudl 1).  Got all excited when I read your post too. ?

Guest PINGU121

It appears so.  You may be on a different version of the bios?  It appears Tesco fix was done with what you have in mind and not what we have.  It appears older Hudl2's and Hudl 1's are still stuck as the start up gives no option to bypass the update stage.

I've now tried several hudl2s and it looks like it must depend on a different version of something - on some I can get in, but the Play Store won't work and therefore none of the apps work, on others I get stuck at the checking for updates stage with no option to say "Not now" as per step 9 in Tesco's instructions. I have yet to find one that will work like Emphatic Groan's hudl. I'm in a rush just now but I'll upload a couple of pics later - someone might be able to pinpoint what the difference between the hudls is.

Guest Emphatic Groan

mine didn't bypass the update stage, it just checks and finds itself up to date. Which must be a workaround, as it ought to find updates.

Versions etc below:

Andriod version: 4.4.2

IFWI version: BayTrail 5.04.16.0043.J

Kernel version: [email protected] #1 Mon Nov 2 17:52:48 UTC 2015

Build number: KOT49H.rel.android-build.20151102.170607 release-keys

Guest Baldi80

As someone before has done, I have took to warning some eBay sellers of these issues, as they may not be aware having done the factory reset then just put them straight up for sale. Just for Hudl 1 models as from what I understand 100% are affected where Hudl 2s may not be.

Came across this one: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tesco-Hudl-1-/254141032050?nav=SEARCH

It states in the description...: "Factory reset, Please note that this item has been rooted (Kingo Root) so that it can be set-up without the Tesco Server."

Rooting is a bit beyond me at the minute, but willing to learn. Be warned though that as far as I can tell this "Kingo Root" is frowned upon by those that write about rooting devices as it may send device info to developers or dodgy sources or something.

Just thought it may be of interest if true. Not even sure it is true as I'm sure that others have mentioned that rooting and alternative ROMs don't bypass the setup server?

Pretty sure Tesco would wash their hands of any device that's been rooted or software modified as it's then not their responsibility, but as an absolute last resort I'd certainly consider it if no other fix materialised.

Anyone know more than I on such things?

My hudl 1 was rooted with the Clockwork cyanogenmod ROM and it is one of my concerns that the solution Tesco comes up with will not work for me. I rooted it as soon as it was out of warranty, so I accept I am fully responsible for the situation if that's the outcome for me. My emails to Dave Lewis and Lewis Gorrie do not mention the rooting because the rooting is not the actual cause of the problem.

If I'm honest I can't remember if I rooted it again trying to solve the problem and before I found the threads on this message board. In the end if the custom ROM is the barrier for me then so be it and I will just be glad to have helped others get a solution from Tesco after almost 2 years. 

Edited by BuddyB

Guest Bill_Door

Same here with the Hudl2.  It gets stuck in a loop at "Couldn't check for updates" with options Check Wi-Fi and Try Again.

• Choosing "Check Wi-Fi" flashes the list of WiFi signals very briefly before returning to the loop at "Couldn't check for updates" page, with no opportunity to change anything.
  • Choosing  "Try Again" loops back to "Couldn't check for updates" page.

I performed a fresh factory reset to see if it would make a difference.  I followed the Tesco advised procedure as posted by Anna65, but it still gets stuck in the same place.

Edited by Bill_Door
typo

Guest Max G

For me, following the tesco process posted by Anna65, it did work for me on Hudl2 4.4.2 variant. I don't know why it should not work for others as the services hit by all are same.

Maybe rooting has to do with it or different versioning but I can't pinpoint to anything.

Edited by Max G

Guest Anna65
6 minutes ago, Max G said:

For me, following the tesco process posted by Anna65, it did work for me on Hudl2 4.4.2 variant. I don't know why it should not work for others as the services hit by all are same.

Maybe rooting has to do with it or different versioning but I can't pinpoint to anything.

Max G, were you actually able to update the apps after you got in?

Guest Anna65

Here is me going through the set-up process according to Tesco's instructions in tandem on two different hudl2 running 4.4.2. As you can see they behave differently, one gets further than the other, but neither result in a working hudl... ? 

(Sorry, turned out I was only allowed to upload 4.8mb in total, ever (not per post), so I had to edit away most of the photos and only select the most relevant ones).

But basically one stalls at the checking for updates stage and the only way to get out of there is another factory reset through the recovery menu, the other looks like it might work but when you try to use any of the apps it wants to update them before you can use them but the play store isn't working (and if I had been allowed to upload the whole chain of events you'd have seen that I did add my google account before that pic so that's not the problem).

Pic6.JPG

Pic7.JPG

Pic8.JPG

Pic12.JPG

Pic13.JPG

Edited by Anna65