WORKAROUND FOR HUDL1 STUCK AT THE WIFI STAGE AFTER A FACTORY RESET

Guest BuddyB

Guest BuddyB

I know this has been a problem on and off for a few years now, but Tesco is currently working on a solution. Finally! 

In the meantime this is a workaround from the hudl2 thread on the subject to get a functioning device - 

1. Perform a fresh factory reset

2. When you get to the WiFi setup, click 'Add network' on Select Wi-Fi page

3. Long press the mic key (bottom left) to see a cog. Select to go to Google Keyboard Settings

4. Click on "Send feedback"

5. Clicking "privacy policy" starts Chrome

6. Search for "Settings", and the hudl should make suggestions from web and from device apps -  choose the hudl Settings icon

6. In Settings click Users

7. Choose "Add user" and enter a new user.

8. Follow the normal steps to set up the user and display on login.

If you get stuck at 4 try this instead after you select the cog and access the Google Keyboard settings

1. Select About Google Keyboard

2. Select open source licences

3. Highlight some text with a long press and select WEB SEARCH from the top right

4. This will take you to a page showing a message saying there's no Internet connection

5. Type settings into the search box at the top and select the hudl settings icon from the drop down

This takes you into hudl settings where you can select Users to add a 2nd user and continue steps 7 and 8. 

Play store, notification bar, everything works OK.

When you reboot, the first thing you see will be a user selection. As long as you make sure you choose the extra account the Hudl2 will behave as normal. If you choose the wrong account by mistake, just short press the power key to lock the screen, re-open and choose again.

NOTE:  The device cannot be upgraded to a newer version of Android until Until Tesco provides a better solution. 

Thank you to all the users who helped get to this point. Please make any further posts on the hudl2 thread for continuity. 

Edited by BuddyB

Guest MikeProbs2

Hi BuddyB,

I've just joined the community as I am also having difficulty with my Hudl 1, after resetting it to factory settings. I have been very interested to read some of the posts on this site, and have tried some of the suggestions to overcome the problems.

I can access my Google account via the method you suggest, but don't seem to have the option to add a new user to my Hudl. The only settings I can access are for Google and not the Hudl device itself. How are you accessing the Hudl settings?

The best I have been able to achieve is accessing Google play store, my apps, opening those apps from there, including play books and Keep notes, the latter enabling me to access use of my camera from it's menu. I am also able to open and view my books even when offline, but only after accessing the play store via the back door method through the Google keyboard settings.

It's very frustrating, I'm stuck in the dreaded Wi-Fi/internet loop when I switch the device on and can only access the 'add network' on the Wi-Fi page by turning off my router, which I believe many others are experiencing as well.

I have also emailed Tesco and received, initially a quite supportive response, but when phoning them when their suggestions failed to resolve the issue, I was advised that there was no more they could do.

Guest BuddyB

Hi, Can you pull down the notification bar at the top on right hand side? If you can then Settings is available from there. In Settings click on Users (option after Apps) and you should be able to add a second user there. Let me know how you get on. 

Guest MikeProbs2

Hi BuddyB,

Thanks for getting back to me. No, I am afraid I am unable to pull down the notification bar in the top corner. The only menus I seem to have access to are the Google one's.

This makes shifting between applications very difficult. Also, I have not been able to download any apps from the play store, such as another launcher and start-up manager. They are seemingly just stuck at pending installation and never actually download. At least I do have some function from it now, however, being able to access the play books, keep notes and camera, but the bizarre means of shifting between them is very frustrating. Still, the good thing is that at least my Hudl is now no longer a brick!