Poll: Would you buy Custom Faces for the SPV?

Guest MISMan

Guest Shire29

Not sure I would want to give my baby a face lift, even after a few more months ware and tear.

See she is perfect as she is, and has a character all of her own, nearly 4 months old now and wow what she can do, puts all other mobiles to shame.

I think i'd rather spend the cash on some decent software or hardware that improves the performance of the phone, I don't reckon you buy an SPV for looks, although it's definitely grown on me.

When I saw the black sprayed fascia I thought wow, that looks good, then I looked at my baby and thought, nah, it don't look any better than mine.

I voted No, however I might be intersted in a metal case, purely from a protection point of view, but from the initial comments by the originator of this thread that's not what is being offered here.

Cheers, Shire

I'm happy to keep the look, but would buy a toughend up replacement. Not into fancy colours.

My only fear is that non official covers are usually very poor. The amount of times I let myself get suckered on Nokia covers only to find nothing came close to the real thing....

I'd also be interested in a cover with a better keypad, again though it would have to be official quality.

Cheers

Marc

Guest modfather

i must definitely say i vote for see through too... i beg for a seethrough cover on almost every phone i buy, you just cant beat em... there is no paint to flake off, and it makes phones look so new and hi tech.

i also vote for the joystick, but if you can get a clear back and front made, you have a buyer. (specially since i blue/white led modded my keypad and charging lite.)

The SL45 was a beautiful phone, and mine only has one small chip in it with just over a year of use. Shame about the joystick (nav buttons) on it though. After a while, it seemed very hard to press the up button without pressing one or both soft keys.

A white gold plated one would be nice/cool gimmick. But aside vanity, it would serve no purpose.

Aluminium or brushed s.steel would be good. Would have to be careful not to add too much weight to it though, it's quite a heavy phone already.

Guest SeaneyC

Have to get flamed for this but personally think that see through covers are the worst thing in the world! They look pretty nasty, and it's not even like you can really see anything interesting through them. (Rubber/plastic keyboard inlay, how exciting!) Missed my SL45 as soon as i sold it, especially as i had a mod that replaced the back half of the phone so it matched the battery!

Why do manufacturers have to use this awful grey plastic for the 2nd half of the housing? I think it really detracts from the look of the phone. SPV looks cool from the front, but less than attractive in profile (in my opinion).

Would definately buy a jet black model with silver buttons, then i guess i'd have to spray the battery or something to match?

Guest Chris b.a.r.f.
Aluminium or brushed s.steel would be good. Would have to be careful not to add too much weight to it though, it's quite a heavy phone already.

Well, the SL45's was brushed stainless steel and the whole phone only weighs 88g, so it'd hardly make a difference to the SPV. Aluminium would be dead trick but it'd have to be quite thick to withstand the knocks mine gets from time to time.

• 1 month later...
Guest Brody

PLEASE MAKE REPLACEMENT COVERS!!

A new front would be great, not too bothered about a colour change but an increase in button size would be possible wouldn't it?! Tell me if i'm wrong? I'm no expert!!

Also, my screen is very slightly scratched and i can imagine it getting worse over time so i believe that there will always be a market for at the very least a replacement provided the quality is good!

Cheers!

Guest McHale

All I ever look for in a replacement cover is either as a replacement because I broke the original *OR* if it was completely clear so you could see the electronics on the inside. I'm a sucker for that...

Guest modfather

i most certainly NEED a cover... really really want a see thru completely clear one. as naff as some people think they are. they look amazing to me (says he with perspex pc case ;) )

modfather

Guest EMGenius

unless you are a bit of a ponce you dont need a fancy pantz cover surly; the spv is not a nokia (as someone has already pointed out!). think why you got it in the first place - surly it wasn't because of how it looked, and if it was, why do you want to change it??!!!

as far as i can make out these are the only reasons to get a new cover for the spv:

1) your a ponce

2) you have fooked your case up - scratches and chips and wot-not and want a better quality stronger one

3) your a ponce

4) for a better usability of the phone like the SPVx - joystick and bigger buttons - spv is cr*p for that

5) loads of people in your house have got one and you never knoow which is which - not very likely??!!!

sorry for the slightly rantish post, but there you go...

(btw I voted yes for reasons 2 and 4 ONLY!!!!!)

Guest Scarfman007

Ok, this is a slightly useless post. I have a distain for anything non-black, and *personally* think the shiny silver casing and buttons looks 'poncy'.

People are bound to have different opinions and tastes as to what they want their phone to look like. It doesn't mean they're being childish or they're 'ponces'.

Sorry - bad day. Apart from that I agree with the point about giving SPVx style joystick and buttons.

Chris

Guest MoRFLeZ

I voted yes!! I would love a replacement kit for my phone, cause it's bound to get scratched with me hauling it around in my pockets!!

As for 'bigger' (flatter) buttons I would just squuuueeeeeeaaal with joy if that came true! I hate writing texts on this thing. A joystick would be bliss, but 'better' buttons is a must for this baby!

Guest PsychoDave

Yeah Baby ;)

Don't know if it would make me squuuuueeeeaaal but i reckon bigger buttons would make life a bit easier for me and ma big clumsy hands.

Bring it on :) :D

Guest Brody

So who can tell me how long we will have to wait to be told whether this project is going ahead and if so when we will be able to purchase replacement covers!!?? I wanna know!!

Ps. Yes my cover is a little scratched but i'm more interested in bigger buttons!! :wink:

Guest cyrilthefish

here's my reason for wanting a new case! :shock:

bottom.jpg

i'd wouldn't mind a custom cover, especially a metal plated one!

but i'd quite happily settle for an original cover if someon knows where to get one.

By the way, the Siemens SL45i's cover was not solid metal as some people have suggested, it was plated plastic!

it wouldn't be too hard (i guess) just to plate an original SPV cover, it would add hardly any wieght make make it incredibly stronger!

Guest Monolithix [MVP]

I found it relatively easy to remove the casing on my SPV. It's not that difficult once you realise the back comes off first, not the front... ;)

Guest mashkhan

I didn't know that, however I still think that removing the case isn't "user friendly" enough to make custom faces feasible for the masses. Just my opinion though