Win XP Upgrade - Any cheap offers?

Guest pete1312

Guest pete1312

As many will have realised by now (at least I have), Win 98, 98SE & ME are apparently obsolete OS's, and are certainly not supported by Orange SPV! (Witness the UK Update, USB Modem, Permanent SIM Unlock, etc).

I have no idea if De-Certificating (or whatever it's called) can be done, as I dare not even try. Most topic replies on this site are from "techies" who use XP. We older OS users can only get more and more confused by helpful replies which do not work for us!

I've concluded that I need to upgrade my OS, and further concluded that I want XP Pro rather than Home.

I am a single user, but have both a Desktop and a Laptop PC, therefore I need 2 Upgrades (from Win ME).

Is there anyone out there who can offer me a "good" price?

Thanks

Guest pete1312

Thanks for the tips guys.

Scan.co.uk works out a bit pricey @ £160.98 inc p&p.

Also Woody has misspelt his anagram - but I got the gist!

I've opted for a couple of bids on ebay. So I'll now sit back and wait.

Guest Gorskar

I could be wrong, but I believe microsoft allow you to install onto both a desktop and a laptop PC from the one disk for a single user.

Guest pete1312

Thanks for that Gorskar, but it may be too late now that I've placed 2 bids on ebay. Guess I can only hope that I'm outbid on one of them!

Any idea how/where I can verify your comment?

Guest pete1312

Ok - I've now found the answer to my earlier question on Microsoft Licencing site.

It transpires that whilst Secondary Use Rights do exist for some software, e.g. MS Office, it does NOT apply to OS.

Back to ebay :cry:

Guest pete1312

Thanks Dave, but I'm too old in the tooth to even think about trying to learn a new OS. Fcuk, I havn't really got up to speed with DOS yet - thank fcuk :!:

I've heard of Linux (and Lino), but thanks - and no thanks :?

Guest Firaas
Ok - I've now found the answer to my earlier question on Microsoft Licencing site.

It transpires that whilst Secondary Use Rights do exist for some software, e.g. MS Office, it does NOT apply to OS.

Back to ebay :cry:

Are you sure?

My WinMe agreement entitled me to transfer my upgrade, but only once.

Guest pete1312
Are you sure?

My WinMe agreement entitled me to transfer my upgrade, but only once.

See page 47 of the following guide: http://www.microsoft.com/uk/licensing/basi...n_Guide_Web.pdf

This reads:

"Secondary use rights grant usage of software on two devices. The secondary device may be a home PC ("Home-Use Rights") or a Laptop ("Portable-Use Rights").

Secondary use rights do not exist on all Microsoft software. They only exist for specific Microsoft application software e.g. Microsoft Office. You will need to check your End User Licence Agreement (EULA) to make sure that Secondary use rights exist for your particular Microsoft application software. Secondary use rights do not exist for Operating Systems or Server products.

This rule applies to Full Packaged Product and Volume Licences. This is not applicable to pre-installed software."