How to de-cetify SPV post UK update inc version by Myke

Guest awarner

Guest awarner [MVP]

Thanks to all the members who I have copied this information from to make one hopefully easy guide, as I have not done this myself with the UK update. I have only de-certed with the DK update and origional ROM which is a slightly different process.

Here goes :)

Open activsync and explore to My SmartphoneWndows and leave it open.

there is only one file you now need to change, mxip_oem_10.provxml, This folder is normaly hidden so on your pc you will need to go to ToolsFolder OptionsView and check show hidden files and folders to be able to view the file through activsync.

open the file with notepad and change the following values

Save the file on your pc this will replace the original SecurityPolicy

later on, make sure the file has been saved with the extension .provxml

Ok now for the fun bit ;)

Take the phone out of the cradle, you will notice the explorer window becomes empty and power down the phone.

Make sure the SD card is in the phone ( to help slow things down a bit) do a hard reset by pressing the record and the action button at the same time you press the power button.

As soon as the phone starts to power up release the buttons and the phone will displayed Card Found you will then be prompted to "press any key for bootloader" Press the action key fro two seconds to bring up the diagnostic screen. This may take a few attempts as this happens very fast so you will have to be quick. If you get the Canary screen, try again.

On the bootloader screen press 8 to select "Erase IPSM data"

when it is finished is should say PASSED Press left direction pad twice and choose 3 to close the diagnostics.

NOTE some people have mentioned that pressing left twice does not work anymore, if this is the case just move on to the next part.

Right click the altered .xml file and select copy.

Press and keep pressed the power button on the phone and the orange sunset screen will appear, you can release the power button now.

Wait until the blue screen appears for a few seconds then place the phone in the cradle.

After about 20 seconds activsync will see the connection, when activsync is finished (you can see all the files in the explorer window you left open again)

right click in the window's folder and choose paste to paste the .xml file into the folder, you will be asked if you want to overwrite click "yes"

Your phone may look like it has finished booting but don't worry it should be ok don't panic and take your time.

Now to test is the process has worked.

Most members suggest altering a favourite befors de-certing to test if the process has worked, but as that did not seem to work with me i suggest

that you try out one of the unsigned apps like NotBad or Smartexplorer.

If has not worked try again not everyone is lucky enough to do it first time.

Any comments or corrections needed please let me know

Cheers

Ashley

PS thanks to MisterCurly for the final editing of this post :lol: Cheers mate

Guest TSCRYPTO
open the file with notepad and change the following values  

I have done the UK update and am following the instructions above - however my file has an extra line in it... "4111"

Furthermore, the value of "4101" is already 64.

Am I getting concerned over nothing??

Cheers.

Guest awarner [MVP]

Value 64 is fine just leave it, this has been mentioned in other posts that there is an extra line, and most people seem to think it's ok to delete that line :) but make a note of it in case you get any problems.

So you could be concerned for nothing but thanks for mentioning it.

Guest TSCRYPTO
It's worked

Well sort of.

I have had a look through the forum and couldnt find any posts relating to the following - apologies if I am repeating something already mentioned.

This afternoon I did the update followed by the de-cert. Both seemed to work OK However, a couple of problems have come to light.

1. I cannot send (or reply to) any SMS / Email / MMS messages. When I go to the inbox and select NEW, I get no option to compose a new (ie no Message or MMS options) message at all. The NEW menu on the left of the screen momentarily highlights and then just does nothing.

2. The Orange Update on the phone itself now seems to be barred from my use. When Checking for updates, I get a message saying that this service is "restricted to the orange network only". Perhaps after the fact that my phone is de-cert is now recognised by orange.

The updates I can live without, but I really need to be able to compose new messages or to reply to messages.

Does anyone have any idea what could have happened?

Cheers

:?

Guest pipin

:cry: check the main forum for spv setting and paramiters sorry mate can help you further i,m still trying to de-cert mine but having no luck since installing the new update. :) seems like this is a lot harder since the update did it easy b4 the poxy update i have found some other instruction on www.bornsloppy.co.uk gonna see if their gonna help :shock:

Guest TSCRYPTO

Thanks pipin....

Have just done the de-cert and it seems OK now - ie the message options are where they should be.

Heres a tip for doing the de-cert:

It seems that one of the main problems with doing this is the timing of the provxml file replacement. What I did was as soon as the phone was sync'd was to just hit paste over and over again for abt 30 secs, each time replacing the previously installed file. (In the past where I had just pasted once, I guess my timing was out).

Pasting the the thing half a dozen times gives tou greater opportunity to get the timing right, I guess... :wink:

Guest raider

awarner Had looked at previous posts and spent till 3.30 saturday morning trying to get it to work.

Gave up :cry:

Then this evening saw your post and thought I'd give it one last try before throwing SPV through window :wink:

:) ;) :lol: :D :lol: :lol: It worked phone is now de-certified.

Many thanks.

Guest aiwapro

I tried doing the de-cert. It didn't work, and I think I messed up my SpV. I did everything correct too. Everything went just as the post said it would, but when it came time to 'paste' the new file, I had no partnership. ActiveSynce never detected it for some reason, and it still hasn't.

I need help fast.

Guest aiwapro

I think I have successfully de-certified my phone. I want to test it with Smart Explorer, but I don't know how to install Smart Explorer.

Will someone please explain?

Guest aiwapro

I put copied Smartexplorer to various places in the phone, and when I try and open any of them, I get the Error, "Failed to execute IPSMProgram Filessmartexplorer.exe

Any help would be appreciated.

Guest awarner [MVP]

Right all I did was to put smart explorer on my storage car under Program files (my choice)

right click and copy, then go to IPSMWindowsStart MenuAccessories right click and Paste Shortcut.

this should now work for you :)

Guest capt_janeway

Don't know if it's just me who's dumb but...

I found out why my de-cert wasn't working initially - it was because I saved the editted file as a .txt and it did not overwrite the original which was a .provxml file. I just renamed the file by removing the .txt....and Bob's your uncle....

Anyway it probably was just me being dumb so....ignore the above if your a bit more techie than I

Guest B@man

Chaps,

Does de-certi'ng the SPV invalidate the the insurance with Orange? And if it does will a hard reset remove all the unsigned apps installed.

Apologies if this has been asked b4.

Guest Monolithix [MVP]

As far as i know it doesn't effect the insurance (but don't quote me on that...).

When it comes down to it though a hard reset will remove any evidence you ever applied the work around as it will reset the phone and its settings back to factory defaults (including removing your unsigned apps that have not been installed to a storage card).

Hope this helps.

Guest B@man

thanx, mono 4 the speedy response, u da man! gotta get home 2 unleash this dog & bone's full potential expect a few more hits on your site....after a few jars me thinks

Guest awarner [MVP]

This version was submitted by Myke

Many thanks for your input

Post subject: Idiots Guide to DeCert Your Phone!! (After UK Update)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've sucessfully decerted my phone a couple times. The reason it was so tough for me was because, for some reason, the people who wrote the instructions decided to make it as complicated as possible. I've written below the easiest way to decert your phone! (After Update)

*This will erase everything saved on your phone and return it to the "out of box" state, so back up your important stuff*

1.) Put your phone in the cradle and open the explorer. Browse to:

"My Smartphone/Windows" (Keep this window open)

2.) Copy the file "mxip_oem_10.provxml" onto your desktop.

(If you dont see it, click Tools, Folder Options, View, then bubble "Show hidden files and folders"

3.) Open that file. (It may ask you which program to open it with, choose Notepad). Then scroll to the bottom of the file and find this:

4.) Hilight that text and replace it with this:

5.) Now you have to save it. For some reason, you cant just save it because you wont have permission. You may have to change the filename in order to save it. I suggest saving it as "mxip_oem_10.provxml2". Once you saved it, delete the old file and rename the new one back to "mxip_oem_10.provxml".

6.) Right click that file and click Copy.

7.) Take your phone off the cradel, turn it off, and put in an SD card (this makes it easy).

8.) Now hold down the action button, the record button and hit the power button to turn it on. Keep these 3 held down untill it says "Card Found", now you can let go.

(The action button is the button in the center of the joystick, the record button is the thin silver button above the volume control)

9.) It will then goto a screen that says "Press any key to enter bootloader". Once that screen appears, simply press and hold down the action button. Keep it held down till it goes to a page titled "Canary DIAG". If it goes to a tri colored screen, you didnt press the action button fast enough.

10.) Press "8" to EraseIPSM. It will go through a process, this will hard reset your device. When its done, it will say passed.

11.) Power off your phone and then power it back on. It will take longer than normal to start up, mine takes about 2-3 minutes.

12.) Okay, get ready. Right when your phone gets to the Smartphone 2002 blue screen, put your phone back into the cradle.

13.) Now find the "My Smartphone/Windows" window that you have open. Click in that window and continue to press Ctrl+V (paste) every half second or so. Make sure you still have the updated "mxip_oem_10.provxml" file copied. Keep pressing Ctrl+V until it asks you if youd like to replace the file, quickly press Yes and it will copy over the file.

14.) If youve copied this file quickly enough, your computer will ask to make an activesync relationship AFTER the file has finished copying.

Voila! Your phone should be application unlocked! Pop on an unsigned app to see if it works. If it doesnt work, chances are you didnt copy the file over fast enough.

***If it is not working for you, try enabling sim lock by going to Programs > Settings > Security > Enable Sim Lock. (NOTE: you probably dont know your password. call Orange or your service provider to get it for free). Enabling the sim lock seems to give you a little more time to copy the file over, increasing your chances of getting it right the 1st time!

Last edited by Myke on Fri Mar 07, 2003 11:14 am, edited 5 times in total

I have followed all these instructions, and after many hours, finally got the updated file onto the SPV with the new settings. However, when I try to install the task manager and tetris applications, I am stopped with errors indicating insufficient secirity privelages. (I copy the CAB files to the SPV, and run these using the Explorer application.)

My SPV has been updated.

Can anybody help please?

Guest Vector

If it is saying you don' t have sufficient security pledges and to contact your service provider (or something like that :roll: ) it means that you haven't unlocked it successfully.

Looks like you'll have to try again sorry mate :)

PS: Took me 4 attempts ;)

Thanks for the reply, yes you are right, that is the message I get. However, if I have managed to get the settings into the right file on the SPV (and have confirmed that after several restart cycles), then that means this does not fix the problem post-update, at least for me!

When you say you retried 4 times, do you mean from a state where you had got the settings onto the SPV, or it took 4 tries to get the settings loaded (once)?! Important difference - can't see any point in trying again as thingsstand because I have the updated settings loaded?

Thanks again.

Guest Vector

By saying i tried 4 times i mean i had to try and paste the new file into the folder 4 times before i got it in fast enough.

If you see what i mean :roll: