More info about the Mitac Mio

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Chris b.a.r.f.

What an awful-looking phone. Might be clamshell-small but it looks chunky and over-designed. I'll be sticking with the SPV a while yet, if only because it's the best-looking (of an admittedly ugly bunch, so far)

Java's an advantage though...

Guest fraser

The Matrix one looks just like the one in the film...a knocked together mockup prop with little thought of design because they had other more important things to do! :)

It just looks cheap. If you pulled it out in public, everyone would think that you had a walkie-talkie, not a phone!

I quite like the Mitac, I'm a fan of clam-shell phones. Had the first Motorola 688 when it came out, which later evolved to the v.dot. Did me fine for four years until the SPV came along.

Guest Syvwlch

Does anybody have an idea who supplies the Java MIDP 2.0 for the Mio? I now of several suppliers looking to supply it to the SPV/Tanager platform, but I'd like to know who's already secured it on this new phone...

Guest pibrahim

The Mitac looks absolutely *awesome*. Clamshell phones look so much better IMO, but regardless, the SPV's a pretty ugly phone. No comparison looks-wise in my opinion :)

Guest Monolithix [MVP]

I prefer the clamshells too tbh. If i hadn't got my SPV i'd have had a Sharp GX-10. I can live with a small aerial for the sake of having a very nice little phone like that...

Guest Shaks

Memory 32MB ROM / 16MB 100MHz SDRAM

Only 16Mb Ram? Don't the samsung's have 32Mb?

It seems to be PC100 SDRAM too. I've got loads of dimms of that stuff lying around, have to get me soldering iron out and put some more in like I once did with my Cirrus Logic GD5459 Graphics Card, upgraded it from 1Mb to 2Mb by desoldering 1Mb off my knackered CL GD5458 card and sticking it into the new one.

You can tell this was a long time ago though, the card run off the 32bit VESA Local bus, not the PCI bus as this was a state of the art Intel 486

Don't think the same trick would ever work on a phone though lol.