Curious

Guest muff

for starters, the latest version MBoden released of Doom runs far better than 5fps

as for Quake, well it does run, and the speed is kind of the reason for the question - as to how brutal I can be with the engine optimisations to make it run faster - at the moment it can run quite smoothly, but levels need 'tweaking' to simplify some geometry in hot spots

if I can be more brutal with the engine and 'break' some of the historical compatability, then there is room for some good speed improvements

Guest pteale

Whilst it is very cool to have games like Doom and Quake running on the spv you have to appreciate that these games were never designed to be run on such a platform. So it is no wonder the frame rates are currently unplayable. The way forward to get the best performance from this phone is to code new engines optimised for these platforms as Superscape have done. (http://www.superscape.com/inaction/index.asp if anyones interested)

The frame rates they get from there Swerve engine are incredible, they've even coded a Doom clone demo for there Swerve engine called Bio Waste.

The point of my post was to try encourage people to bring new original content to mobile phones rather than trying to get games like Doom or Quake to work with the Spv.

and the point of my post is this, quoting websites = no cool, porting wicked games like quake and doom (however funtional they are) = cool!!!!

Guest pteale

I was pointing out that by having a custom build engine would provide the frame rates people desire for games such as this to be truly playable.

Guest fraser

Looking forward to seeing the games from this Swerve engine though. I wonder how they will run on the SPV if they get ported though...aren't the pocket PCs a bit more powerful?

Guest DJHope

Yeh but i bet you have to pay for the priviledge of using the swerve engine and when are we gonna get some apps (ages im guessing, or ever if orange keep with cert)?

DJ Hope

Guest pteale
Looking forward to seeing the games from this Swerve engine though. I wonder how they will run on the SPV if they get ported though...aren't the pocket PCs a bit more powerful?

I know they are intending to develop for the Spv, thats all i can say.

Cent - :)

curiously enough it wont help RCAM's project as my code is based on the original GPL code + the PocketQuake port, and under the GPL the code cannot be used in a commercial product unless that project is also prepared to open it's code - and specific permission is granted by the code's authors

hmmm

I need to talk to RCAM before I release ...