Batch mode media conversion?

Guest fraser

Guest fraser

Is anyone looking into a way of simplifying the conversion process for a media file into the "offically accepted" :) DixV format?

Most of the conversion tools offer command line interfaces, so it would be amazing if someone can come up with a command-line string to launch Virtualdub and apply the correct filters to make the new file. (without requiring any user interaction)

You could set this up as a right-click option for the file on your windows box. You could even try to get it installed as one of the data conversion filters. E.g. if you were to drag an mpeg onto your storage card, the tool would automatically convert it to DivX. Just like the pocket powerpoint thing works. (apparently, I've not tried it personally)

I can see two potential problems that are really required user interactions. Firstly, the destination audio format is unknown, as the sample rate of the original can vary between 44.1 and 48 kHz, producing a slightly different sample rate when it is downsampled. You can see this when you chose the audio format, only the ones relevant to your source frequency are listed.

Secondly, the frame rate decimate option also varies depending on the source file, depending on whether is is PAL or NTSC.

What would rock would be a convert binary that would:

- determine the sampling rate of the audio

- determine the frame rate of the video

- launch virtualdub with settings based on the above.

Opinions anyone? I think this would make things a lot easier, especially for newbies.