"Make the switch..."

Guest chloe

Guest chloe

Found this site very interesting to read the "Make the switch" column where it has 'stories' on people who have sucesfully made the switch from another brand mobile phone to the SPV.

It's different to the other web-sites and forums out their, no offence to Modaco.com but I find the site above more friendly than this site.

I suggest you all check it out...it's pretty good.

Guest awarner [MVP]

The link above has been removed please ask permission before posting

links to other forums.

One thing I will say is it's not a very large forum so it may seem friendlier

as you say and i hope they can stay friendly and good luck. :)

Guest Simon Desser

I can remember back in November 2002, Paul coming on the "microsoft.public.smartphone" NG, and telling everyone on there that he was setting up a forum, and inviting everyone to check it out. Microsoft didn't see fit to remove his post from their site, but you have prevented us from seeing it. :evil:

Over the past few months I have found MoDaco incredibly valueable and useful, (thanks once again to Paul), but over the last few weeks, I've seen it changing, from a friendly helpful forum, to a place where people are told to "search!!" "don't cross post" etc. etc.

I understand it is frustrating seeing the same questions come up all the time, but if you feel like this, then don't answer them, leave it for someone who doesn't mind answering.

Everytime I look recently a post has been "moved" which I can understand, but usually it says it has been moved. My most recent one got moved without any mention of it?!

I've got 2 mates who both have recently got SPV's, I've told them to use Modaco to find out everything, but they ring me instead, they're reluctant to get "shot down" for asking a silly question!

(This is not directed at any individuals in particular)

Simon

Guest Richie M

Simon, this has been discussed in great detail else where ;), but in the Help & Advice section (formally known as Begineers) attitude is a LOT more relaxed, we are more than happy to answer "stupid" or repetative questions in there, i dont think anyone has ever been "shot down" in there. The worst that would happen is they would be given a link to a different thread.

The main reason the link in this thread was taken down was because they didn't ask permisson & i'm sure there site admin also posted in the NG.

Please tell your m8's we're not a bad bunch and if post in Help & Advice they should be quite safe :)

Guest Paul [MVP]

I don't think that's the case at all!

All the mods are trying to do is ensure that stuff is in the right place to make it easier for people to find what they are looking for.

With regards to moving topics, not sure whether it is best to move without a shadow (i.e. no MOVED: topic left behind) cos it leaves the forum tidier, or to leave a shadow topic.

I agree that the 'Search first!' thing has got out of hand - I personally don't have a problem with answering a question that has been asked before, it's just if a particular member persistently repeats questions, it's a bit of a pain.

P

PS Come to the MoDaCo Event, you'll see we're all great people after all (especially me!)

Guest stillwaiting

Well said Simon, I think the moderators have got a little trigger happy in recent weeks. As you've mentioned i do think the fact that newbie questions have been shot down in flames can be a little off putting and will also discourage further participation.

To be fair to the moderators they are trying to keep new posts relevant and up to date with the latest info for this smartphone, but a little tolerance for newbie questions wouldn't go amiss.

Guest Monolithix [MVP]

It is some of the more regular members that are making the place less "friendly", with just yelling "search!" at people, and hopefully we can clamp down on this (i've pointed out hundreds of times that i will always suggest a thread to look at, and i'd ask that other members do the same...).

As has been pointed out there as the "Help and Advice" forum as the "Articles" too, both of which provide plenty of help for new and longer-term owners at the same time.

As Paul pointed out, all we are trying to doo is keep the forums tidy. If everything is in the right place it makes searches less of a hassle...

I will agree 100% with Simon, This site is an invaluable tool but the members on here who think there no it all are too over stressed and are changing it from a frendily helpful atmosphere to a "do a serch" site.

It is a pain in the $^%£ to do a search for simple problems and you can find yourself reading loads of text and getting no where.

It is better to get one-to-one help, and it does not take long to reply. I have said this when i first joined the site, and have slowly noticed more and more newbies saying how unfriendly the site is.

Its so simple to stop all the bitchin, if there is a question that been posted on the forum that has been answered before, and one of you stressed out "im a high profile" muppets out there are just going to have a go at that member for not searching then simply DONT ANSWER TO THE POST. This site is (or slowly getting "was") a good site, so why ruin it.

Im slowly getting used to my SPV thanks to the friendly member of this site who have answered by silly simple questions. But I still visit the begineers and main section to try and help people with their simple problems, there is just no point in getting stressed out, If I dont want to reply then I dont, how simple is that, Im not going to go off at a newbie and tell him/her to do a search.........

Paul and all the others behind Modaco have put a hell of a lot of work in to this site, and Im sure they do not want to see its popularity decrease between newbie just because some member cant be decent enough to offer their help for all of 30 seconds. Is it really that painful for you.....SAD

Its not the newbies that are ruining this site

Guest chloe

Geez, one really does have a stick up their a@# don't they (in the kindest way possible)? Just thought that people might want to know about this site that I found. Maybe it would be of interest to some members of this site? It's not like I'm trying to advertise my own site or anything! Proves my point however about being 'less friendly'.

"Please ask permission before posting links to other forums" - whats with that? Does it make a difference? I wasn't exactly advertising the forum side of that site anyway. I was telling people to check out the Make the switch section.

Chances are you probably wont let me display the link if I ask, and if I go ahead and post it anyway you'll remove it.

In my opinion this site has been a victim of its own success...

Chloe.

Guest chloe

LoL. They moved my post. Hummmm...I wonder why. It WAS in the Main section (described as, "Post any general messages in here". My post was definately to do with the SPV more specifically a web-site about it. Yet it was moved to off-topic. I don't think the moderators liked my posting and the attention that it attracted.

LoL.

So transparent.

Guest Richie M
Im slowly getting used to my SPV thanks to the friendly member of this site who have answered by silly simple questions. But I still visit the begineers and main section to try and help people with their simple problems, there is just no point in getting stressed out, If I dont want to reply then I dont, how simple is that, Im not going to go off at a newbie and tell him/her to do a search.........

My attitude exactly.

I help where i can, if a thread in any other section annoys me i tut and sigh to myself and move on.

Im calm Paul, completely, but I too am sick of all the muppets that are ruining the hard work that you have put into this site, you dont deserve it. When I first visted this site I posted a thread and people were polite and helped me, some even responded to my PMs, that is the way it should be and the way you have worked hard to get. Then all these know it alls begin to get moody cause they have to reply to a question that they have done so already.....tell me, is it really that hard to reply....or even not reply and ignore, that way the question will get answered by member who want to help and there wont be any moaning.

Its annoying cause I got a warning (as you will see by my name....really nice...not!!!!) for posting something about a game that I thought was shareware and it wasnt, I was a newbie and it was a mistake, but some one jumped on my back.........FOR A MISTAKE. Yet nothing seems to be getting done about all this bitchin........

I so wish i was a moderator to keep on top of this stressin out situation!!!!

Guest Paul [MVP]

Removed which post Chloe?

OK, so chatted to the mods, here's what we think would be a good idea...

Locking topics:

Mods will post in the thread 'I'm going to lock the thread shortly' and then leave it say 5 mins before locking if still appropriate. More care will be taken to avoid over-enthusiastic locking :)

Moving Topics:

We want to avoid having too many 'Moved:', but we want people to be able to find the topics. We also want topics to be in the right forums, as it makes it easier for people to find what they want! What we are going to do is PM the people who have posted in the thread letting them know that it's moved from x to y. Again, over-enthusiastic moving will be avoided ;)

Finally, the whole 'Do a search' thing:

I think MODs aren't as bad for this as some others, but, I've asked the mods to , instead of writing 'DO A SEARCH', answer the question or post a relevant URL, and THEN perhaps write 'Remember to do a search next time :)' if necessary. Also, MODs will post the search string they used to find the topic.

How does that sound guys?

P

Guest chloe

Hey...what about me? What about my problems? What about my removed link?Hey...what about me? What about my problems? What about my removed link?

Guest Richie M
"]How does that sound guys?

As it should be Paul ;)

Unfortunately noone can please everyone.

I think there are only a very few that spoil it for most, & some just get a Bee in there bonnet.

PS had a wicked idea for a Site Sponser - Valium :)

Guest Paul [MVP]

Hehehe...

I am not sure what to do about links to basically other SPV forums. I am happy to have people link to other sites (e.g. coolsmartphone etc.), but pointing people at other forums with a subject titled 'make the switch' is discouraging people from using the site I put a helluva lotta work in.

I would like maximum content for my site, to make it as useful as possible, and I think I am within my rights to ensure this (Sorry Chloe!).

Thoughts?

P

Paul, sounds a good idea mate, but as you said, the MODs are not really the ones that have ago at newbies.

So how about maybe being more strict on the members that seem to offer little help and go off on one. If I had more power than I would simply send them a PM telling them not to just write "do a search and stop posting repeat threads" and then simple delete their post, that way the member should learn to either offer help or not post to the question, and also it keep the thread tidy and relevent rather than going out of control

Guest chloe

"Make the switch" does not mean switch to another SPV forum. It's a forum about people who have switched to an SPV mobile. Completely different and I did explain this. You don't have this on your site. I was simply pointing it out that some people might be interested in seeing it.

What was a genuine post has turned into a controversial one.

Another reason to suggest the 'user-friendliness' of this site. The whole "oh no, he's stealing my users" is so unecessary. I don't think users of this site are all going to flee and abandon this site overnight simply because of its already gathered popularity and size.

But, you're the boss...

Just another friendly SPV user "shot-down" and made to feel as though she did something wrong.

So.....whatever!

Guest chloe

Well if my link wasn't moved in the first place then we wouldn't be kicking of about not displaying links, etc. The Mod that originally edited my post was the one who started it all.