Remote Control (for T.V.'s / DVD players) Software for SPV?

Guest urdone311

Guest scaryscotsman

Hi everyone. I found this lurking on the Orange FAQ's. Hope its relevent.

It seems it can't be done.

"Q: Software to enable the phone to be used as a television remote control would be flare (great).

A: This is not going to be possible as the infrared port does not support the CIR (Consumer Infrared) standard, which is required to allow control of home appliances."

:oops:

Guest Vector
A: This is not going to be possible as the infrared port does not support the CIR (Consumer Infrared) standard, which is required to allow control of home appliances."

NNNOOOO :cry:

Guest Syvwlch

Ah.

Well. This is probably software-related tho (in the OS&drivers) rather than H/W, so I wouldn't lose hope too fast.

The CIR is not supported by palms or pocketPCs either, AFAIK.

Guest Gorskar

I think I read (possibly further up this post) that it would be possible if you could disable the IRDA interface and activate some kind of serial IR interface to replace it for the runtime of the IR control application.

(assuming the LED is powerful enough of course)

It's probably a tricky proposition though.

As I read on ms newsgroup - the infrared in remotes is CIR (consumer) and the one in SPV is IRDa. Palms apparently 'emulate' CIR, so in theory if this is correct - SPV could possibly emulate CIR as well.

PS: I have not got a clue, but from what I read - there is hope

• 3 months later...
Guest scaryscotsman

Just wondering if anyone did try to get one working? I don't have much skills but would be more than happy to help with beta testing if anyone has anything or it. If not I'm sure some god-like programmer will come up with something sometime in the future. We all live in hope!

• 1 month later...
Guest kyrkesmith

Incidentally, there's an article about using Pocket PCs and SmartPhones to do this in Guy Kewney's Mobile computing Hands on column in this month's (sic) Personal Computer World magazine, dated October 2003. It mainly concentrates on Pocket PCs, but SmartPhones get a passing mention. Although it's a two page long article, it doesn't go into that much detail, and there's not even a mention of CIR. Mr Kewney doesn’t portray a very encouraging situation, with the article being entitled “Remote chance”, although his conclusion reads “It can be made to work, and it will impress your technically aware friends. But at the end of our tests, frankly, I felt that getting a life would be a far superior solution”.

It's also worth noting that most of the new iPaqs from HP include the ability to act as a universal remote with the use of Nevo from Universal Electronics. However, this software is only available built in to specific devices.

Guest Maverick
Ok. Have done a bit of lookin round on this. It's definately possible for the 7650 and p800, which are the closest facsimilies to spv and have just found some ce 3.0 code which should work for similar os's. My skills aren't up to this so here's the link for anyone who's interested:

http://www.codeproject.com/ce/tvremote.asp

Hey... This is good. I am sure one of the developers here will pick this up and see what they can do.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

theres a fair few apps out for the ipaq and such, and as far as i can see the ipaq is the big brother to the spv, is it not worth compiling one of these apps for the spv just to try? just for education?

id be will to actually touch the tv receiver with the spv to get the required signal strength to change channels etc, just to save looking for each of the 90 remotes i need. yeh i know i can get a 4in1...but lets all admit, using the phone, no matter how impracticle, using the phone has a level of leetness.

Arggggg........

nCoder said http://smartphone.modaco.com/viewtopic.php?t=89260>here:

HTC said it isn't possible at all due to the way the IR port is accessed on the SPV.  It is due to the fact that while the actual hardware would theoretically be capable of emulating a cIR signal the Perseus1 processor automatically alters any signal going to the port...so traditional PDA ways of doing it won't work on the SPV.  Well this is what they told me anyway, and this coupled with the weakness of the signal from the SPV means it is not worth the effort messing about trying to get anything working.  :(

The way I see it is thus:

IR ports in all computer devices (PDA's, Phone, etc) use the IrDA protocol (Infra-red Data Assoc.).

IR ports on remotes and TV/ Vids etc use the cIR protocol (consumer Infra Red).

cIR uses pulses of light, IrDA uses a continuous stream.

It is possible to control an IrDA transceiver to emit pulsed light, but the platform (Smartphone, Pocket PC) must be able to give software direct hardware access.

The Pocket PC does this, as does the Palm platform, however the current Smartphone platform (and the old Psion platform) do not.

IR remotes are not possible on current Smartphone devices. If it was possible it would be done already!

Please can we let this subject die? :)

Please can we let this subject die

Even though I would love to see this app on my SPV, I agree with Matt here.

About 20 threads about this and every single one comes out with the same answer 'NOT POSSIBLE'

Shame :roll:

Lock this topic pleaseeeee, before my hopes are built up again :)

while its not easy im sure this is possible. as long as there is some low level access to the ir (the ability to turn on and off) as apposed to sending actual data to it, then the other protocols just have to be coded. the fact it uses one and not the other is like saying a pc can only run windows because thats what it comes installed with.

this thread doesnt need to die, it needs a coder sumwhere to pick up the gauntlet and actually do some coding. id gladly do it if my spv wasnt up the creek

Guest Matt Kirby

HTC (who make the SPV) have said (according to the quote above) that IT IS NOT POSSIBLE ON THE SPV!

(sorry to shout, nothing personal, just getting bored of The Thread That Refused To Die! :) )

There is no low level access to the IR port, AND the IR port's range and strength are limited.

The hardware and OS have not made it easy to gain direct control of the IR port. Maybe someone could hack the OS directly and re-write from scratch (Smartphone (Hacked) cIR Edition anyone?), or take a soldering iron to the SPV and attach an external box of tricks; but it is not worth that much time or effort.

I used to have a Psion, which also has an IR port. Many people wanted a remote control ap - saying "the Palm can do it, why can't the Psion? The Psion is more powerful" blah blah blah. If it could have been done on the Psion it would have been. In fact there was one programmer attempting to do this, and all he was able to do is make a program that could see cIR pulses but not transmit them. The implementation of the hardware on the Psion made it impossible to emulate cIR. Same as the SPV.

You have to remember that the whole IrDA protocol is designed purposely not to interfere with consumer IR - you wouldn't want your phone changing channels on your TV when you are trying to IR sync to your laptop would you? And equally you wouldn't want Windows saying "A computer is nearby with IR" every time you tried to turn down the volume on your stereo? That’s one of the reasons that IrDA uses a continuous stream, domestic appliances will ignore it and IrDA devices will ignore pulsed streams. IrDA just don’t do cIR – and this is intentional (or “this behaviour is by design” I’m sure they’d say).

The fact that some other platforms (PocketPC & Palm) can emulate cIR is because on those platforms it is possible to kludge a method of making IrDA behave in a similar way to cIR. It's because on those platforms IrDA is not as rigidly imposed, giving inventive coders a way around the limitations (by design) of the IrDA protocol.

There are too many limitations and obstructions on the SPV’s implementation of IrDA to make it possible to emulate cIR.

Emulation of cIR depends on the platform's IrDA implimentation.

Don’t get me wrong, if someone manages to find a new way of doing this and manages the impossible task of making the SPV hardware talk cIR then I will be the first one willing to eat my hat and join in with the inevitable parties and rejoicing in the streets. In fact I’m sure that they will declare a national holiday, and the person responsible will probably be in line for a Knighthood for managing to acquire the Holy Grail of the SPV. Wars would end, poverty would be banished, and the whole human race would live in harmony and joyful bliss. What a marvellous day that would be.

the fact it uses one and not the other is like saying a pc can only run windows because thats what it comes installed with.

It can't run Mac OSX, can it? :( (Sorry, couldn’t resist!)

[/rant][/sarcasm]

i run macos 8.5 on my pc every day (couldnt resist either :)

I see what your saying, im just stubborn.one of my other geek toys is a xbox thats been ever so slightly modded ( http://www.xbox-scene.com/articles/casemod-pc.php )and i run linux on it and make it do all sorts of things it shouldnt do (like run pc games) ..

however, a project that may be more succeful would be a 'remote control' for pc/laptops...

a win32 app and smartphone app combined to let your 'media center' tpye pc be controlled by the phone. pc's in entertainment centers are gaining popularity and an app to control them with a phone would go down well with the sort of people with pc's hooked to tv's (geeks in other words :(

well yes, but both the pc and smartphone would have no issues with that. that sort of app would probably take no more than a few hours to code... maybe even in VB both ends, with the pc end emulating keypresses with SENDKEYS()

Guest Fragmaster

Well I don't know if this is any help but with my PALM (sony clie) I have an app which you basically use the normal remote and transmit it to the PALM IR and then it saves that frequency, which you can then use on the PALM IR to transmit commands to TV. :)

The app is called OmniRemote, can't find a link.

Sigh.....

I am familiar with OmniRemote, used it on my old PalmIIIx, and it is an excellent piece of software.

Won't work on Smartphones, and the programing tricks used won't work either.

There is no simple way to program the SPV to learn consumer IR signals.

See my posts above.