I played with a P800 today...

Guest TooMuch2AM

Guest TooMuch2AM

... courtesy of a friend who just bought one.

Quite frankly - I'm not impressed.

The UI is clunky and inconsistent, it has expensive proprietory memory and the whole feel of the unit was 'cheap' compared to the SPV.

The rounded edges of the phone do nothing to hide the bulk of the unit, and it's painted in such a way that it is bound to look shabby after heavy use.

The stylus is like something you might eat ice cream with, and because it clips to the side of the phone it's really easy to lose (just ask my mate - he lost one within 8 hours) no wonder they give you four of them!

Think I'll be sticking with my SPV!

M

Guest paulcaley

They had an p800 for sale in a shop on southport, along with other contract free / second hand phones. The pice tag on it was £399, this was second hand so obviously someone else ddnt like it!!!! :shock:

Guest superkingdave

i think my mate might have one of the first insurance claims on a p800... they are just as temperamental As spvs, stopped working after only one submersion in a bath... had to laugh he doesnt know how long hell have to wait for a new one with the paucity of supply

Guest Gorskar

... which begars the question: how did it ever get in a position to be submerged in a bath?

Now falling in a pint glass I can see happening, but surely you wouldnt be surfing the web while laying in the tub, or is it just me who thinks this is just asking for a very expensive sponge.

Guest edupin

I do own a p800 since 3 weeks now. I liked my SPV very much, but sorry, I must admit my p800 is far better. Quick (a formula 1 compared to the SPV, even upgraded), powerful, very user-friendly and simple to learn, and last but not least, I finally can write and take notes with it!!!

It has all SPV features, plus much more.

It is a the first real phone + PDA, non compromise.

I know what i am talking about: looking since a long time for real convergence, I've had a Palm, a Tréo270, an Ipaq 3760 + Siemens SE45 GPRS data Phone, a SPV: none of them brought me entire satisfaction. There was always something missing. The p800 is the only one which replaces all of these in one device. Since I have it, I sold all the rest and keep my single p800 which makes the job.

I repeat: I loved my SPV (I bougth one the first ones available here in france, mid-november 2002), but I finally sold it last week.

Last thing: zero crash with my p800, and I still have my first from the box stylus. No more chances to loose it than an Ipaq or Palm stylus.

(Sorry fot my bad english)

Guest ClintEastman
I do own a p800 since 3 weeks now. I liked my SPV very much, but sorry, I must admit my p800 is far better. Quick (a formula 1 compared to the SPV, even upgraded), powerful, very user-friendly and simple to learn, and last but not least, I finally can write and take notes with it!!!

It has all SPV features, plus much more.

It is a the first real phone + PDA, non compromise.

I know what i am talking about: looking since a long time for real convergence, I've had a Palm, a Tréo270, an Ipaq 3760 + Siemens SE45 GPRS data Phone, a SPV: none of them brought me entire satisfaction. There was always something missing. The p800 is the only one which replaces all of these in one device. Since I have it, I sold all the rest and keep my single p800 which makes the job.

I repeat: I loved my SPV (I bougth one the first ones available here in france, mid-november 2002), but I finally sold it last week.

Last thing: zero crash with my p800, and I still have my first from the box stylus. No more chances to loose it than an Ipaq or Palm stylus.

(Sorry fot my bad english)

Out of interest, what was missing from the SPV that you get from your P800?

PS had a go with one at the weekend, bit of a cheap feel to me, the stylus looks and feels as if it came straight from a christmas cracker!

Guest spacemonkey

Why does this whole thread sound like sour grapes? :)

You think this thread sounds like sour grapes? Did you read the one from SPV users claiming that they didn't think the Tanager was smart, that it's joystick looked crap and there was no way the screen was brighter?

Guest midnight

i personally think its actually quite daft to compare the two:

a p800 is a pda with phone like functions (i wouldnt wanna carry this thing around with me while out in pubs/clubs etc)

an spv is a phone with pda like functions (i wouldnt want to write anything like a long letter or somethin on a standard keypad)

if you wanna compare the spv to something then compare to similar phones with no touch screen (7650)

if you wanna compare the p800 with something compare it to something with a touch screen (xda)

thats just my opinion of course :wink:

Personally midnight, i dont think I agree. essenitally the p800 is a phone with touch screen with pda capabilities. But it isnt really comparable to something like an ipaq or clie (or however theyre spelt). The spv is a phone trying to be as much a pda as possible as is the p800.

I agree with amo. Yes they are coming from different backgrounds and not quite meeting in the middle (just yet), but it's still worth comparing them. I wouldn't want an IPAQ or xda, but would still consider a P800. Not overly fussed about the stylus idea and don't think I really want a P800, but am keeping an eye on topics like this to see if they can sway my mind...

Guest spacemonkey

While I kinda agree that the P800 shouldn't be compared necessarily to the likes of XDA etc, and yes SPV and P800 are trying to achieve a convergent PDA/Phone device, I think they have both gone for quite a different approach to do this.

The SPV is definitely more traditional phone like, where as the P800 is more traditional PDA like. That's not to say one is better than the other, it's a different style and people have to ask themselves what they want from it. For instance, you remember the old Nokia Communicator (the big opens in half PDA/Phone thing) some people love it, some people loath it, that doesn't make it a bad device.

I think we will continue to see this in the mobile phone market, SPV cos of it's specs will tend to shrink. After all, it needs a pretty much normal size keypad, and although the screen is larger than the average phone it's not huge. P800 derivatives will always be quite large because they are specifically focused on having very large screen realestate. So which one's better? I think my soon to be Mitac Clamshell smartphone with inbuilt camera will suit me just fine. Other's want to be able to write letters etc and will definitely be wanting a P800.

Remember also that a lot of the technology underlying the P800 is somewhat more established, the SPV is a totally first generation device, so comparing factors such as bugs, menu responsiveness etc, was never going to come out in favor of the SPV and it's brand spanking OS, Symbian has been playing these games for a long time, and they know what they are doing.

And always remember, it's just a phone, you'll get a new one next year :)

Guest edupin

If you consider just the number of features, the p800 IS better, far better.

Now for sure, if you consider weight, size and which of them looks more like a phone, the SPV is better. I repeat: I loved my SPV but it was too limited for my use whereas the p800 perfectly fits all my needs. If the SPV have had a Tréo-like keyboard and multiple mail accounts, I think I would have kept it.

Guest TooMuch2AM

All this talk of 'sour grapes' is just silly. If I had used the P800 and liked it more than the SPV my SPV would be on eBay as we speak (seen them go for over £300 on there).

There's nothing stopping me from swapping my SPV for a P800, but I wasn't particularly impressed with the device, so I'm keeping my SPV...

Guest edupin

"SPV would be on eBay as we speak (seen them go for over £300 on there)."

I mentionned it before: I sold my SPV €330 (approx. £217), thanks for the advice.