Divx Problems

Guest Bouger

Guest Bouger

Hi all, i cant get Divx to work for love or money. Its there, i see all the options and it even finds movies i have put on there, BUT. When i try and play a movie i get an error msg saying that there isnt enough memory to play the file. The video i'm trying to play is from an SPV site and its optimised for playing on the SPV. I have closed all apps that are running too. I have followed the advice that has been posted on here for other people and still nothing!!!!! any suggestions?

Guest fraser

Try imediately after a reboot. Also, get the Task Manager tool, it'll give you more control over quiting programs, many actually stay resident until you reboot or stop them manually.

Guest Coolboy1982
how big would a divX file roughly 200mgs scale down to once converted to smartphone compatibility settings

well normal 600-700 meg movies become around 100meg, so you are looking at around 30ish

Guest Bouger

Not on my phone ,no. I install everything onto the sd card. I have almost 4mb free of ram and 2.5mb frre space on the phone if that helps .

Guest mike-oh

5.03 is working fine for me! I've got a dvd down to about 90megs (still avi format), does that sound about right? But sound quality is v noisy. Now....playback of dvds on my pc has always been quite quiet but there wasn't any noise. As a result i've used virutaldub to increase the vol. The avi file that i'm converting from isn't noisy either. Could someone please suggest options i should check.

Cheers

Mike

Guest flashfodder

Things to take note of..

You should expect the file size to be roughly 1mb per minute (Give or take 1 or 2 mb). Go by this & you can plan what you can get on the card before you start.

IA Task manager (Or any other task manager tool) is a wonderful tool (A godsend! ...if you like). This is because Pocket MVP is a heavy resource user while loading your chosen film or short. Make sure you clear out all programs before starting & when you've played a short or film, exit Pocket MVP before loading a new one.

Also... if, like mine, you're phone is always on... Make sure you reboot it from time to time. This gains back any resources, lost over time.

Don't zip the films cos Pocket MVP won't read them.

Make sure you have, at least, a 128mb card. Prefarably tho, a 256mb. I recently purchased one from the USA on Ebay for £50. A 256mb card is great as I can have 4 hours of video. (We're driving for 12 hours on Thursday so this'll come in handy!).

I have 2 films o the 256 card at the mo with enough space for a couple episodes of Red Dwarf! I also have a 128mb card which I have all my other programs on.

Guest jim80b

has anybody managed to get both 502 and 503 codecs installed on their pc. i use 502 as standard but i have one film from a friend..... thats 503 and installing that got rid of 502.

any ideas anyone??

am looking through the reg now

Guest Bouger

K,,,,, still no joy guys. I downloaded the new matrix trailer that was posted on here too. Seeing as that had been encoded by some one who knows what they are doing. I still get the same problem."Failed to load file,please check available memory" ARRRFFHHHHHHHHGGGGGGGG. :x

Guest jim80b

ok have messed about with my reg settings and just need a dll to try it out. can anyone with the 502 installed send me the divx.dll file in windowssystem32 directory

have edited the settings to point to a copy of the renamed 503 dll so if i point to another dll it should let me have the option of both when encoding. just need to figure out not to change to decoding one!!!

Guest jim80b

bouger try deleting all the reg settings for pocketmvp. i had the same problem as you but deleting them solved it for me. i was changing the cache size at the time and got "Failed to load file,please check available memory"

pocketmvp will create the reg again so dont worry.

its in hklmsoftware. just delete the pocketmvp key and try running again.

Guest flashfodder

Bouger: Have you read my post on the bottom of the first page on this topic?

It's long but it tells you why you're getting Failed to load.

P.S. Try this... It's a 10 second (Blink and you'll miss it) email funny that's been doing the rounds for years and it isn't copywrited...

P.S. Jim80B... No need to delete the reg settings. You don't delete the registry of a program on your PC when you get a memory error. You clear down anything that's open and try again. If that doesn't work, you reboot?

Cow.zip

Guest fraser

flashfodder, jim80b may be right about the registry. There are known problems when you go up a version of the PocketMVP application, and the solution is always delete the reg keys. It stores things in there, like cache size, so a value set by an earlier install could break things. All the fun of the fair when working with beta software.

This wouldn't work on a PC...delete the registry for most apps and they won't run anymore. The phone applications are a bit simpler and probably designed to create keys as required.

Also jim80b, be wary about messing with codec. Sometimes you come across alternate versions of a codec, so you'll need to make sure there are no other DivX codecs on your box. First remove all the ones you know of, then try to play one back, or recode another. If you get errors, you can be sure that it has been completely removed. Also, I'd recommend rebooting every time you make a change to these.

Guest jim80b

cheers fraiser. havent sussed how to have both codecs installled but have repointed the reg to the 502 dll.

i can decode 503 but :wink: have the 502 in virtualdub to encode with.

thats what i wanted and am not gona mess with it any more.

the windows reg is so scary after messing with the spv's!!!!

Guest flashfodder

Thanks Fraser... ;)

I have noticed that the memory, after a reboot (never thought I'd say I rebooted my phone) is usually around 6.4mb although sometimes, I've seen it as high as 7.172mb.

I've also noticed after a certain amount of usage it tends to sit around the 4-5mb memory stage.

This is enough to run MVP quite happily so long as you exit when you've watched/ listened to each loaded file.

Sorry Jim80b, :( I have removed the registry before for a different problem but I'm unsure exactly how removing the registry of the program you're trying to load will sort a memory problem. If the error was something else like a file problem then I can understand. I don't see how the memory would change if you delete it for MVP and then restart it immediately? :?

By the way Fraser... I'm an avid watcher of your program & I must say.. It's extremely funny! :lol: