Today's Top Tip...

Guest TooMuch2AM

Guest TooMuch2AM

... don't EVER put a can of Coke in the freezer to cool it down quickly, then forget about it.

The Coke freezes, and the water molecules expand. Combine this with a liberal dose of carbon dioxide and hey presto - a highly pressurised sealed container....

Unfortunatly, the Coca Cola Company of America don't design Coke cans to withstand such pressure - the result.....?

... Well I can only think that this must be one of those 'Dirty Bombs' they talk about in the news - this thing has exploded and covered EVERYTHING in my freezer with a dirty brown gunk that leaves everything it touches sticky.

I've tried to clean it up but conservative estimates have this stuff with a half life of about 5 years....

... And to think old Osama must have been working on this for years. A eureka moment on my part I'm sure you'll all agree!

Yours, Sticky

Mike

Guest Monolithix [MVP]

I once tried to juggle two cans of Dr Pepper, i gave up after dropping them for the 10th time, as one had exploded covering the entire wall with a fine sprinkling of sticky liquid...

:/

Guest fraser

Here's an e-mail forward I got last week: (sorry, it's a bit long, but worth it)

WATER OR COKE?

WATER

1. 75% of Americans are chronically dehydrated. (Likely applies to half world population.)

2. In 37% of Americans, the thirst mechanism is so weak that it is often mistaken for hunger.

3. Even MILD dehydration will slow down one's metabolism as much as 3%.

4. One glass of water will shut down midnight hunger pangs for almost 100% of the dieters studied in a University of Washington study.

5. Lack of water, the #1 trigger of daytime fatigue.

6. Preliminary research indicates that 8-10 glasses of water a day could significantly ease back and joint pain for up to 80% of sufferers.

7. A mere 2% drop in body water can trigger fuzzy short-term memory, trouble with basic math, and difficulty focusing on the computer screen or on a printed page.

8. Drinking 5 glasses of water daily decreases the risk of colon cancer by 45%, plus it can slash the risk of breast cancer by 79%, and one is 50%less likely to develop bladder cancer. Are you drinking the amount of water you should every day?

COKE

1. In many states (in the USA) the highway patrol carries two gallons of Coke in the trunk to remove blood from the highway after a car accident.

2. You can put a T-bone steak in a bowl of coke and it will be gone in two days.

3. To clean a toilet: Pour a can of Coca-Cola into the toilet bowl and let the "real thing" sit for one hour, then flush clean. The citric acid in Coke removes stains from vitreous china.

4. To remove rust spots from chrome car bumpers: Rub the bumper with a rumpled-up piece of Reynolds Wrap aluminum foil dipped in Coca-Cola.

5. To clean corrosion from car battery terminals: Pour a can of Coca-Cola over the terminals to bubble away the corrosion.

6. To loosen a rusted bolt: Applying a cloth soaked in Coca-Cola to the rusted bolt for several minutes.

7. To bake a moist ham: Empty a can of Coca-Cola into the baking pan, wrap the ham in aluminum foil, and bake. Thirty minutes before the ham is finished, remove the foil, allowing the drippings to mix with the Coke for a sumptuous brown gravy.

8. To remove grease from clothes: Empty a can of coke into a load of greasy clothes, add detergent, and run through a regular cycle. The Coca-Cola will help loosen grease stains. It will also clean road haze from your windshield.

FOR YOUR INFORMATION:

1. The active ingredient in Coke is phosphoric acid. Its pH is 2.8. It will dissolve a nail in about four days. Phosphoric acid also leaches calcium from bones and is a major contributor to the rising increase in osteoporosis.

2. To carry Coca-Cola syrup (the concentrate) the commercial truck must use the Hazardous Material place cards reserved for highly corrosive materials.

3. The distributors of coke have been using it to clean the engines of their trucks for about 20 years!

Now the question is, would YOU like a glass of water or coke

Guest Monolithix [MVP]

Just as well i drink a 1.5l bottle of water at work alone each day :)

Also phosphoric acid is fun.....especially when suspended in ethanol and held over a lit bunsen....

Guest Firaas
Just as well i drink a 1.5l bottle of water at work alone each day :)

2 pints when I wake up, 2 pints when I go to bed, and 2-5 pints during the day.

New water routine - used to drink loads of coke before...

Did that coke/freezer thing, we had an ice maker built into ours, and I left it in the top bit, so it only affected the ice cubes/ice maker, which was lucky. (Was a summer day, and I'd left it for 10 mins, and forgot about it.)

Nah, normal coke won't do all that - it just makes stuff go mouldy if you leave it in there. No coke syrup will. Of course, leave a tooth in there and zap it and you get something quite interesting..

I once had 2 litres of coke in one sitting for charity. The backdraft through your nose is nasty.. Urk.

Mind you, the two litres of Sainsbury's cherryade the year after was worse..