Need help with setup.exe's and CAB's

Guest Richie M

Guest Richie M

I need to know, or where to look, how to do a couple of things if anyone knows :oops:

1) How do I create a setup.exe that runs on a PC to install onto the phone via Activ-Sync?

2) How, if i can, can i get a CAB to reboot the phone?

Any help or links appreciated :lol:

TIA

Guest Soyale

Information for both of these can be found in the documentation for the Embedded Visual Tools.

1. You need to use package that can create a setup package for the desktop e.g. Installshield. You need to install your CAB file to a location on the desktop PC - often c:program filesMicrosoft Activesync. You need to create an .ini file to go with your CAB to let the system know what CAB files you are registering. Finally, you need to run ceappmgr.exe passing the .ini file as a parameter. This will register yor application with Activesync which will then manage the process of installing the application to your device.

In EVT help search for ceappmgr, choose the bottom result which should be Installing Applications and then press the Locate button. That is the help chapter you need.

2. You need to write a setup dll. This is installed as part of the CAB file and is identified by a special entry under DefaultInstall part of the INF file for your CAB. The DLL itself needs to export four functions Install_Init, Install_Exit, Uninstall_Init, Uninstall_Exit which allow you to do things before/after install/uninstall!

To soft reset the device you needs a privileged function KernelIOControl. However, I have seen some odd behaviour in SPVs that get soft reset in code such as the registry being irreperably damaged making it impossible to install/uninstall certain apps. I would avoid this method and rather prompt the user to reboot the phone. What you could do is set a registry key which your app checks for on startup and tells the user they cannot run their app until they have switched off/on their phone. You would then place a little UIless application in the Startup folder under IPSMWindows that clears the registry key then deletes itself.

HTH

jp