This would be great !

Guest slaatje

Guest Monolithix [MVP]

Orange have something like that in the pipe line...GPS-esque location software using the cell you are logged into on the GSM network ;)

Guest Monolithix [MVP]

Nope sorry. The Orange bloke at the MoDaCo meet let me have a play with it on his Tanager.

Basically you sign up and have a "contacts" list similar to any IM client available atm (but based on phone number i would assume). However it uses the GSM cell ID of the users to put a little marker on a map of the UK based on this location. You can then select one and click to zoom in, presumabley to the accuracy of a street. It looked very impressive, amazing it took so long for mobile operators to pick up on the idea.

However, there is a lot of testing and (a LOT of) privacy hurdles to get past before it goes public. Deffinately something to look out for in the future though (now taking bets on it being a subscription-only service... ;p)

Guest Gorskar

Well of course they'll want some extra money for it - they are trying to get something like 25% revenues from data services, so they'll see this as going some way towards that.

Guest Brody

This application looks interesting but, to be honest i'm not sure that i'd use it really? Unless someone can give me a really good use for it that i'm missing?

Guest Richie M
(a LOT of) privacy hurdles to get past before it goes public.

Not 'arf m8, on that fact alone i cant see this ever being released, in that form anyway - basically that'll allow you to "track" anyone in your contacts :shock: (would of been great when my ex was cheating on me tho); i don;t think they would be able to release that. A modified version for just your location; oh yes i'm sure that'll be out ;)

Guest siu99spj
This application looks interesting but, to be honest i'm not sure that i'd use it really? Unless someone can give me a really good use for it that i'm missing?

Well, if it found your location, via your phone which you were using it would have some really useful features. 8)

Firstly, you could use it when you were in a new town and lost. Have it show your location on a map and then you look around the map for where you need to go. Admittedly not the most accurate system (Large area offf each transmitter, but there are ways and means. I made a personal one that could calc distance withing 100m! :shock:

You could even update it to finding the route for you (Kinda like Autoroute) but that could be harder.

As ever though, assuming its a feasible idea and has people wanting it, they'll be a charge involved. I don't see us getting anything for free.

Guest Monolithix [MVP]

Also useful if you are meeting with someone in neutral terretory (sp). If i was meeting someone in a strange place i wouldn't mine being able to track them down the the nearest network cell...