GPRS Promotion Pack Continuing

Guest Simon Desser

Guest wonky-tuesday

I suspect two things have happened:

a) O don't want to lose promotional customers and may be willing to take a hit from continuing the Promotion tariff with just them indefinitely - they probably consider it some kind of reward for going with them in the first place

;) They don't want to tell anyone in case non-Promotion subscribers get the hump

This has probably meant that no-one has been told because things are being done on a need to know basis by someone who is wary of general CS staff getting the wrong end of the stick

Incidentally, my GPRS is still 'unable to place call' since Wednesday, but at last the technical support team who called back within 24 hours (I gather that is pretty swift by their standards) admitted that the fault was in their system and that possibly 20-30 per cent of GPRS customers were having the problem. When I asked why normal CS staff didn't know about it they got very evasive, telling me that there were lots of new CS staff who haven't got the experience to deal with this. I would guess that certain people within O don't want this to get around and that it is another example of restricted communications.

Cock up or conspiracy? Probably a bit of both.

Guest drblow

Can we have a poll to see who is willing to pay $2 per MB for gprs if the promo pack does not continue??

I have my own suspicions about the results, especially in light of the frequent list of gprs problems!!

Maybe we could then email the results to Orange CS?!? Like they'd listen!

Guest Gorskar

I imagine I would barely use GPRS at the standard rate, as I would constantly be worrying about the cost. With the Unlimited package - ok it costs me £6 a month, but its worth it for being able to use MSN or IE anytime anyplace without worrying about whether you are going to be bankrupted.

Guest lucky

Coolsmartphone.com has got the inside story on the new pricing structure for when the SPV promotional pack runs out.

Well this what we all feared but i guess it had to happen and I bear Orange no grudges.

As soon as the SPV pack ends I will disconnect gprs.

As soon as the contract ends I will switch to 3g.

Its nothing to do with bad customer service or anger towards Orange. It is plain and simple that their pricing structure is not competitive.

In addition, while I appreciate the handsets innovation and functionality I dont feel it is reliable or robust enough to continue using without an inncentive.

Comments?

Guest drblow

lucky -

I think all you say is understandable, and reasonable, but I don't think Orange themselves will necessarily care! :evil:

No matter if we all switch to 3g - we still need a service provider, and if you're going to switch from Orange then, why not just do it now?! Know what I mean? :?

I don't really know if Orange would ever listen to any opinions of it's customers - unless they start to lose money because of it!!

I have been told several times, as have other folk here, that Orange will replace the $6 promotion pack with something of "equal or lower in value".

If it turns out to be "lower value" as in not very good- as in $4 for 2mb - then I may well cancel my contract with Orange on the basis that they have breached agreement with me.

They might harass me & say that I can't do it, but I have done this before with BT - and in the end (after consulting a lawyer friend) I went ahead, cancelled my direct debits, and told them to contact my lawyer if they wished to proceed - which they didn't! ;)

Hit 'em where it hurts I say - talk to them with your wallet!

Hey Moderators!! Do you think this topic deserves a poll????

Guest fozzie
As soon as the SPV pack ends I will disconnect gprs.

As soon as the contract ends I will switch to 3g.

I too can understand your frustration but believe me, as a frequent user of both the SPV and 3's 3g service, ditching the SPV and Orange and moving to 3 is not the solution. You will be extremely disappointed. Unless that is, you've bought the wrong phone and are on the wrong network to start with! The two are simply not compareable. You will be trading off ALL the useful functionality that the SPV has, for the novelty of making video calls (if you have coverage). Your call..........

My NEC e606 goes back to 3 in a months time for a full refund and (with the exception of a few other people on this forum), am the world's biggest gadget freak! ;)

Guest drblow
Does anybody know more about this

http://www.orange.co.uk/talkplans/gprs/costs.html

I just had a look at this - obviously Orange have restructured the pricing of GPRS (check the pre-febuary prices - $4 for 0.5 MB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;) )

I dunno - it seems to suggest that when the promotion is up, we will get $4 for 2mb, $8 for 4 etc.

But, if that was true - why didn't Orange just end the promo pack in April?!

I get the distinct impression that Orange are just trying their luck, to see if any idiots are prepared to spend that kind of money (when you think about the standard of the GPRS service that we all get - i.e. CRAP!! - can anyone really justify paying these prices??)

I will miss the GPRS, but there is no way I'm paying those kind of prices!

I mean - $3 per MB over the basic tariff!!! :) :D ;)

They do have a sense of humour - twisted tho it may be!! :twisted:

Guest mrjuglas

Am I missing something?

Why are people using $ instead of £? Is it easier to post from the phone or something???

Confused... maybe it's just cool to use $... :?:

Guest drblow

It's not cool, it's not big & it's not clever - my keyboard is knackered, & I can't use the pound symbol, so $ is the only thing I can use!

That's my excuse!

Mr B -

I don't think anyone should do anything until the replacement GPRS package cost is finally revealed by O - except maybe the gentle harrassment of CS every time you speak to them!

However, my point originally was that if we are not happy with the new pricing - and lets face it, who would be happy paying $3 per MB (if you find anyone who is, let me know, I have a few items for sale!!!)

then I for one will cancel my GPRS package, on the basis that I was promised 'equal or lower' in value - infact as I have said before, this could be interperated as O breaking contract with me, and I may terminate my contract with O altogether on that basis.

I just think that we can all talk til we're blue in the face on this forum, the only thing O will actually listen to is the sound of falling profits!! (and realistically at $3 per MB, those must be some mighty big profits!)

Guest davidhorn

Yeah.... I can't believe Orange can charge that much for data transfer. I mean, on the promo pack they must still have been making profit, and I reckon we could all have used hundreds of MBs each per month and not cost Orange anything.

On the new pack, will we be warned when we go over the 2MB and start to be charged for the extra? Or will Orange just let people go over and charge them.

Guest ukpauls

i just got the spv last week so missed out on the promo, but where is every1 getting these prices from as i pay £6 for 4MB which i admit maybe harsh. and as in reply to messages about 3, why would you give up the SPV functions for a phone that does nothing but make video calls that cost a bomb to make and u prob have no one to make them too.

and no only that it a major gimic that will disapper in a couple of months

Guest ajb3000

I very much doubt Orange will warn you when you go over, they don't warn you when you go over your inclusive minutes or texts do they?

Guest strathclydezero

No... but you can count the minutes or texts that you use. GPRS is more like the electricity in your house - you are never quite sure how much you are using, although it could be worked out by how many light bulbs are left on for how much time. But who would accept an electricity supply without an accessible meter? And why should GPRS be any different?

Guest davidhorn

Well, there is a "get-out-quick" clause in the contract which you can use, where "[we] vary its terms, resulting in an excessive increase to the charges." I'd call going from £6 for 10MB to £4 for 2MB and £3 per megabyte therafter an excessive increase.

Guest ajb3000

that won't work because orange have said right from the beginning that this is a promotion and will finish at the end of april

Guest mcfc2134

Phoned up Orange AGAIN today regarding the promotional pack. Geezer on the end of the phone said: (And I quote):

"Your promotional pack will continue until you hear from us to change it onto a standard GPRS plan"

Hmmm, what ya think people?

Guest mattat
Your promotional pack will continue until you hear from us to change it onto a standard GPRS plan"

Seems pretty much like we expected - they have extended the promotional pack a bit, but they will soon change us to another pack - they'll probably tell us (probably in our bills) in June.

Guest fozzie
Phoned up Orange AGAIN today regarding the promotional pack.  Geezer on the end of the phone said: (And I quote):

"Your promotional pack will continue until you hear from us to change it onto a standard GPRS plan"

Hmmm, what ya think people?

Yeah, they told me the same yesterday. We await with baited breath!

Guest Chief

"Mobile Email GPRS free promotion" - this is new isn't it?

From http://www.orange.co.uk/services/pop_terms.html

The Promotion will provide free access to mobile email sent and received using GPRS for a period of three months from the date of connection.

The Promotion can only be used for the sending and receiving of email using GPRS and cannot be used for data calls which use circuit switched data transfer methods

Currently high usage of The Promotion is defined as 30Mb

Very interesting. I wonder how exactly they will know/enforce that the GPRS access is used for only email. Could this simply be a renaming of the SPV promo pack package in the hopes of minimising use, even though it may still be permitted? It doesn't make sense to set a 10Mb limit for full access and now 30Mb for email only.

Guest cybercamel

Got my bill today, I've been charged the promotional fee until the end of may, so if the current thinking is that it will end by then, I'd better make the most of it!!!!

Guest Mr_Protozoa

fook this!

I called orange about a week or so ago about the and of the GPRS pack. They said they were gonna put me on one of the regular price plans.

I said no. You shall cancel all my GPRS price plans, for I will no longer use it untill you reduce the cost.

I don't really need it anyway, I've got a Broardband connection at home, at uni and at my student house. I can survive without a connection for 20mins. Can't I?