Announcing first beta of PocketTV - MPEG video player

Guest The PocketTV Team

Guest StoutMan

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: this is a knightmare :evil:

HOW THE HELL DO YOU GET UNDER SCORE'S ON THE PHONE!

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOTpockettv_mpgfile]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOTpockettv_mpgfileDefaultIcon]

@="Storage CardPocketTVpockettv_sp_beta.exe,0 "

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOTpockettv_mpgfileShell]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOTpockettv_mpgfileShellOpen]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOTpockettv_mpgfileShellOpenCommand]

@=""Storage CardPocketTVpockettv_sp_beta.exe" "%1" "

Guest MoRFLeZ

Got it working .. and if I can .. *EVERYBODY* can!

The backlight appears to go off (it looks awesome!!!)

It took a bunch of fiddling with the RegEdit (and I'm such a spass at that) plus my laptop is european key-mapped .. so finding " and % was such a bugger *rofl*

I used RemoteDisply tho, that made it easier.

Remember to call your strings 'Default' (that was my mistake). Took about 10 minutes to get it all working, and it looks great mates...

Guest The PocketTV Team

Thanks for the feedback ;)

Don't worry, we'll make an installer very soon, and hopefully we'll fix the SPV backlight issue, as soon as we can get an SPV (the backlight stays "on" on the Red-e smartphone, but the SPV does not work the same).

Any comment regarding what we could improve in the UI would be welcome, too. Of course, we plan to have programmable hardware buttons like on the Pocket PC. And also a "Recent" file list.

Guest The PocketTV Team
heres a few pics, i hope you dont mind me posting them if you do let me know will remove em straight away

On the contrary, thanks a lot!

I did not have time to capture some, so thanks for posting them!

Guest ambro

no problem for the pics =)

Davidrm - hold up im sure there will be a installer,

its a lot easier to add the registry entries using the registry tool which comes with the SDK

Guest ambro

i'd say the quality of the clip does not fully match the quality of the pdivx mainly because of the quality used 97kbps and that was variable...

but the frame rate for the clips is amazing =)

usability of the menu's is damn good =) im sure people will be able to use the program with ease!

Guest MoRFLeZ

It might just be me, maybe I'm quitting all my programs the wrong way!

But could you possibly add an 'exit' or 'quit' option. So many SPV programs doesn't add this, and I end up with 10 apps in the background, (thank god for task manager!!)

Guest ambro

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOTpockettv_mpgfile]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOTpockettv_mpgfileDefaultIcon]

its a bit harder than i thort to make a cab file, where to start in the sdk lol

Guest The PocketTV Team

I like the numbers in the menus, unfortunately this is not allowed in the so-called "logo requirements" from Microsoft.

I fail to understand why.

The rational MS gave me was that <>. Fine, this says by itself that it is a good idea to have numbers in the menus.

Now, since this OS (Smartphone 2002) does not add any number in the menus, why make a requirement that applications designed for Smartphone 2002 cannot put them ?

There will be no problem for us application developers to remove the numbers from the menus when MS makes a version of the OS that adds the numbers automatically.

This has no sense at all. Especially since the OS implements automatically the numeric shortcuts when navigating in the menus...

After hearing this story, I am not surprised that so many people complain about the bad ideas of some decision-making people at MS.

Guest StoutMan

how the hell do you get the under score on the phone

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOTpockettv_mpgfile][HKEY_CLASSES_ROOTpockettv_mpgfileDefaultIcon

its a bit harder than i thort to make a cab file, where to start in the sdk lol

Guest Matt Kirby
But could you possibly add an 'exit' or 'quit' option. So many SPV programs doesn't add this, and I end up with 10 apps in the background, (thank god for task manager!!)

Programs not having quit commands is down to Microsoft! They recomend that programs do not give the user the option to quit, that should be left to the OS to handle automatically. OK for newbies, but not ok for those of use that want to push the boundaries of this phone!

Also, if a program has a quit function its then not eligible for "Designed for Microsoft Smartphone" certification (although who is going to bother with that? ;) )

What would we do without Task Manager?

Guest The PocketTV Team
in the menu there is the Back function that is the same as quiting it menu option 9

The Microsoft Smartphone 2002 logo requirements explicitely says (I quote):

<

Application cannot have an Exit menu item. The smartphone device will ask the application to close when more memory is required for another application.>>

I believe that we satisfy this requirement 8)

Guest The PocketTV Team

> What would we do without Task Manager?

Yes, in a way it's quite stupid to think it's logo-legal to make a task manager that can kill other applications, but not itself. :-)