Wind up charger

Guest Fat Freddys Cat

Guest Fat Freddys Cat

Hi all

Anyone know if this is compatible with the SPV?

http://makeashorterlink.com/?L5E424174

I've seen in other threads that people have managed to get some Nokia chargers to work with their SPV, and some not - and this wind up charger says it's Nokia compatible - but then again, my Nokia charger ain't fitting into the SPV adapter, no way - so now I don't know what to think. And that's just the mechanics, never mind the electrics.

I would love one basically - it winds me up (ha ha) that if I go on a camping trip or something, my SPV would be useless.

So, anyone tried it?

Guest Machineman

I did not try it but maybe you can make a convertor for the wind-up to the connector delivered with the SPV (the one to connect the adaptor straight to ya SPV) Y just need an plug to the connector and some wires.

see if this works

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Fat Freddys Cat

Okey dokey - I chanced it and ordered one, and it arrived today.

It comes with a selection of cables. The Nokia compatible one, as suspected, doesn't fit, but I made sure the important bits were in contact with the cunning use of masking tape. Plugged it in, started winding - Hooray! The screen comes on and the little charging icon shows! Woo!

However. What they don't tell you in the ad is what it says on the leaflet. Yes, maybe it "charges in less than 3 minutes and gives you up to 8 minutes talk time", but also "this unit WILL NOT fully charge your phone battery. It is designed to supply temporary power when your phone needs it" and "if your phone battery has no power at all, it will be very difficult to charge"

Never mind, onwards. I applied one of the home screen skins that shows the battery life in %, and commenced to winding like mad. All the signs were good, but the % didn't go up at all. I'm going to assume that this is because it's at 90% and regarding the note above re. full charging, ain't going to go any higher.

I'll wear it out some more today and let you know how I get on later!

Guest Fat Freddys Cat

Right, the verdict, in case anyone is interested (I get the impression from the lack of interest on this one that all SPV users are slick urbanites who are never more than a few minutes away from a power source!)

First - the charger puts out a fairly steady 7 - 7.5 V, unloaded. With nothing plugged in, the LED at the front lights up so you get a bonus torch (albeit with a nasty orange streetlight hue)

I finally got the battery down to warning levels, ie below 20%. I'd tried charging when it was at all other levels below 70ish, and the results are always the same, until my patience gives out. In a nutshell, yes, it charges after a fashion, all the signs are good (as mentioned above) but I simply cannot get the percentage up by more than 1 before I get bored or my hands start to hurt. That's about 5 or 6 minutes of winding. The unit is small and not very comfortable for extended use.

In brief - not recommended for the SPV, except in complete emergencies. If you were looking for something that would give you a couple of hours more MP3 listening or gameplay with just a few minutes winding, this ain't it.

Hope that's of use to someone out there!

Guest zajfman

Thank you for that full covering review...

I think that the thing itself is a great idea, allthough I dont think it would come in handy all that much.... the chances of not finding a powerplug somewhere are pretty slim.

But I think its great that you gave the little thing a try and told us about it.

cheers... :)

-zajfman

My company had a big party about a month ago and everybody was given one of these thingies for free ...

Most of us left them on the bus that took us back ... what a load of useless crap !