Updated App : SetTones beta 1.0.0.4

Guest Soyale

Guest Soyale

Hi Guys

[uPDATE] 1.0.0.3 - Added UI when run from Accessories to give feedback

[uPDATE] 1.0.0.4 - Added more info to UI, an icon and checking for file existence

I was getting frustrated by having to use a registry editor to tell the system to load my ringtones from my storage card and it "forgetting" about them all the time so I wrote this little application to help out. It is configured in a similar fashion to Smartface so if you could cope with that, you can cope with this.

Instructions are included in the ZIP file.

Feedback always appreciated.

Regards

jp

settones 1.0.0.4 (beta).zip

Guest Soyale

Wow! 45 downloads and no feedback means:

1. Nobody can use it

2. Nobody found it useful

3. It's that perfect combination of utility and usability that noone feels they need to comment.

Which is it guys and gals?

jp

Guest Soyale

For that you want Ringtone Tools from DAT Group. This essentially lets you setup shortcuts to sound files on your storage card by editting simple text files.

Mono. Can you fix that clunk sound through the registry?

Guest Monolithix [MVP]

Nope, hard coded into the applications apparently...(which was the point i realised at).

Without a "new" version of the software that uses the sound i don't think its possible to circumvent it...

• 2 weeks later...
Guest pierre

Hi, I might be dumb (must be) but I didn't get a single thing of the explanations in the text file. I installed it, but got no idea how it works (if it does..) Are the rings automatically transferred to the card. Any1 can provide with clear easy explanation?

Thanks!

Guest Soyale

Since I wrote the original document can someone else explain to Pierre how to use it?

Very briefly you need to manually copy the tones to your SD card and then set up the appropriate "shortcut" text files. However! That gives me a good idea for an automated solution.

Guest Soyale

NB This app WON'T make the inbuilt sound config apps read your ringtones from your storage card but will make a sound on your storage card play when your phone rings, sms', emails etc

1. Copy your ringtones to your storage card

2. On your phone, in the directory IPSMApplication DataSounds create a file called Ringtone0

3. In that file put the complete path (including Storage Card) to the file you want to use for your ringtone and follow it by a comma

4. Repeat step 2 and 3 for all sounds you want to use e.g. for SMS create a file called SMS (there's a list of valid files in the apps zip file)

5. Run the application NB There is no UI

Now your phone should ring with the file on your card rather than your phone. If the phone "forgets" about the files on the storage card then re-run the app.

Does this help?

jp

Guest pierre

I had liked the "in brief" explanation of Soyate yesterday better than the new one...

Well, I did put all the rings onto a "Ringtone" file in my SD; then I created shortcuts of these in the "Sound" file int he ISPM.

Yet the rings are not available in the directory. I'm now trying hard to create a "Ringtone0" file in the latter, as proposed in the last procedure, but am not quite sure how to process exactly... Any1 can help?

Guest Soyale

Let me explain how the app works and maybe that will make it easier to understand!

When the app is run it scans the folder IPSMApplication DataSounds on your device. If it finds any files WITHOUT file extensions i.e. not .wav, .mid etc it reads the first line from them. It expects (and doesn't check) that the first line of the file is in the format ,

Let's ignore the scripting for the time being.

Having read this information the application updates the registry entry for that particular sound. i.e. if the file is called Ringtone0 it updates the sound value under that key in the registry. The net effect of this is that when the phone wants to play a sound it checks the registry and finds tha path to the sound and plays it. The phone already does this so all my app does is a) changes this value and hence where the tone is located :) updates it whenever the application is run.

I really hope this helps! NOTE. This is not a commercial application, just something I put together to solve a personal problem. I hope it helps some other people solve that same problem.

jp

Guest pierre

Hi, it's me again. I surely understand it's nothing commercial, and btw, thank you for creating and offering this app, + answering to requests like mines.

Before I go ahead with trying more, can u tell me: is it normal that when I run the app, nothing visible happen (I mean I open it from "Accesories")?

Guest jim80b

i must say its a great idea...

if only i hadnt spent some time a month ago making cabs that install the reg shortcuts.....

:)

Guest Andy Mac

Ignorance being BLISS, is there not a way to create an app that will simply point & explore the SD card directory for your WAV files, and create it's own maintained ringtnoe list?

I'm not one for faffing about, hacking this, moving that, I'm one of those people who likes things nice and simlpe.

Any thoughts on how this could be acheived?

Good work so far...

Guest Soyale

There's a DAT application called Ringtone Tools that begins to address this. The next version of SetTones will include a wizard that will transfer ringtones from your phone to your SD card and create the appropriate files. After that I'll look at putting a UI to manage them but it all depends on the amount of time I have available!

jp