Custom Profiles

Guest midnight

Guest midnight

Ok, i've already posted this on the newsgroup, but still, i think its worth adding here...

Custom profiles, with new editable fields.....

* edit - errr, not editable yet, working on that

custom.jpg

First of all, go into settings>profiles and edit the normal profile (you dont need to change anything, this is just so that the xml file is put into the IPSMApplication DataProfiles folder)

next, copy the normal.prof.xml file from IPSMApplication DataProfiles to your pc, dont worry, it will be invisible for now.

now open a dosprompt on your pc (start>run and type command and press enter)

browse to the directory where you put the xml file using dosprompt.

type: attrib -s -h normal.prof.xml

now you can go back to your normal windows explorer and you can see the file that you copied over

rename the file to the name of your new profile, eg. Midnight.prof.xml

now edit the profile with a text editor.

first thing to do is change the profile name....

eg.

<characteristic type="Normal"><characteristic type="Registry"> 

<characteristic type="HKCUControlPanelProfilesMiddy"> 

<parm name="Name" value="Middy"/> 

</characteristic>
now, you can change the script and add new reg keys if you wish..... eg.
<characteristic type="HKCUControlPanelSoundsRingTone0"> 

<parm name="Script" value="av0pr"/> 

<parm name="Sound" value="Storage Cardblade.wav"/> 

</characteristic>

that is the script for my ringtone, it uses a ringtone on my storage card with no wait between loops (if anyone wants a complete breakdown of the ringtone script commands then mail me at [email protected])

right, after you have finished editing it, save it.

go back to your dosprompt, and type attrib +s profilename.prof.xml (change profilename to the new name of your file eg Midnight.prof.xml)

and copy this file back to IPSMApplication DataProfiles

Now you need to add this profile to the registry so it can be edited and is recognised as a profile.

HKCUControlPanelProfiles

Menu > New Key

Change the name of this new key to the name of your profile.

Select this profile

Values

Menu>New Value>String

Call this string LocName

Edit LocName and Value data should be the name of your profile again.

Menu>New Value>String

Call this string Name

Edit Name and Value data should be the name of your profile once more.

and hopefully (crossed fingers) that should be it, you should be able to select this new custom profile.

Guest crafty

Thanks Midnight - this is brilliant!!!

If you add the extra code to select the ringtone [i.e. on the storage card] then will this stop the overwrite that is caused by going into the Settings>Sounds menu???

Good luck on the cab file. :)

Guest crafty

Aaaargh - spoke too soon! Doesn't seem to be working for me.

Have followed all the steps and my profile is now listed on the profile list but i can't select it??? It lets me tick the new profile then click done but just remains on the previous profile. Any ideas?

Guest midnight

just noticed some bugs myself, first one i created had no probs, my cab file however does.... it creates the profile, i can select it, but then i cant edit it, dunno why, will fix soon

Guest midnight

errr, ok, found the problem with the cab, your problem may be similar, mak sure you +s the attributes of the file, the problem i'm having is that the files has been set as a system file, but when the cab installs, it resets the file attributes, darn thing heheh, i'll suss it eventually

Guest crafty

Just checked the properties in Smart Explorer and it has archive and system ticked. I'm not very technical but assume that that was what doing the attrib +s was doing. I'll have a play with it tomorrow and post any findings.

Guest midnight

strange, the only thing that can mess up is file attributes and bad xml, this is the reason why i'm trying to get this cab installer working (even though it wont be a custom profile as such)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest caio1

I tried but if I add the line:

I can't select the profile anymore. If I remove just that line from the prof.xml I can select it without problems.

Are you sure it's "Sound" the parm name? And are you sure the location "HKCUControlPanelSoundsRingTone0" is the right one?

EDIT:

The problem was with "Sound" of email,sms,voicemail. I was setting it under "Notification" section...

Everything works fine now, it's cool create as many profile as you want and each one with a different ringtone!

No way to play wma files instead of waves?

Thank you,

Caio

Guest caio1

I tired copyng the dafult Normal profile giving it a different name like SDNormal.prof.xml and changing all the name in registry and in xml. I see the new profile in Profiles' list, I can edit it but when I select it and click "Done" it still remain the previous profile...

The xml is perfect as I just changed the name from Normal tu SDNormal and registry seems perfect too.

Did Anyone have success in creating a new named profile?

Caio

• 1 year later...

I call upon the gods to resurrect this thread... :twisted:

Anyway... I've created a new named profile and like others, I can't select it. However, if I edit HKCUControlPanelProfilesActiveProfile to be my new profile, it works when I restart the phone. However, once I switch to any other profile, I can switch back. Any ideas?

Guest stretchie

Hi

I don't know how to edit these settings. I don't know programming, any suggestions on how I should go about learning, I would like to be able to edit my phone how I would like but don't want to just try and knaker the whole thing up

Guest fozzie

I've been trying to set the Homescreen and Backlight timeouts both through custom profiles and through a .cab; both fail. I can edit the custom profile but cannot select it. The .cab fails to install. Am I right in concluding that I can't edit those parts of the registry through an .xml file? (I'm trying on a C500).