A Bug or Not? in the Smart Amazing Phone

Guest Raffy

Guest Raffy

I've posted this topic in another forum but with this Pinoy area hopefully I can have an added info for this "Bug?" since we all have the same phones.

I would like to know if all the pinoy users have the same phone reaction.

Whenever I get a new sms my SAP alerts me with a tone but if I don't open/read that new sms the succeeding sms will have no alert tone. Only if I read another sms will I have an alert tone.

I asked customer care about this and said it's a phone problem as per their technical staff. Upon replacement of the phone, I tested it at the smart wireless center and it has the same "problem". They told me all other SAP in their stock has the same reaction.

Other phone models alerts you with a tone for every new sms why not on this phone? Is this a Bug or not?

Raffy

Guest ppcsurfr

Well it is a bug alright. One feature that obviously needs some fixing...

It does remind me of my T68 though which can't seem to receive messages... or at least won't alert me of new messages when I'm in the compose mode and I leave it there.

Well, hopefully this is fixed with a ROM update instead of a dowloadable app as more and more people use the SMART Amazing Phone/Tanager, not all of them will go through the lengths of downloading and installing any software or fixes...

Mabuhay ~ Carlo (ppcsurfr)

Guest jbyte

It is a bug indeed! :evil: I think it is a software bug rather than hardware. I tested it and it does not really give me a tone. After I receive one message and did not open that message, the succeeding messages with not give me a tone. But here is what I found. When I receive a message, of course, I get a tone. And while the tone is playing and another message comes in, it does plays another tone, thus, it overlaps the first tone which is just a normal reaction of the phone.

There might be several explanations to this problem. In my own point of view, this is a program bug (sms program). Probably a flag bit was not set/reset properly during the execution of the program. (Have a little knowledge in programming. :) )

Guest Raffy

Thanks for your comments on this matter. Well, if there's nothing much I can do about this since Smart won't agree that it's a "BUG" and most of the Pinoy users can tolerate or are still not aware of this then we're stuck with this "BUG" until such time most of the users will complaint.

Hopefully the next ROM update will correct this.

Raffy

Guest jbyte

Another experience on Tanager which I consider a bug also is regarding the some garbage messages that I have receive sometimes. I don't know if most of tanager users here in the Phil have experienced this one also. At least there are five of us who exprerienced this. When I receive the message, the first line seems ok to read, but the second or third line 'till end is a garbage. I need to inform the sender to send it again so that I can read his/her message. One of my friend told me that he only encountered this garbaged message only in smartphone.

Any comment on this?

Guest ppcsurfr

Probably an unsupported character set or spaces and carriage returns that don't jive with the one on the Smartphone.

Mabuhay ~ Carlo (ppcsurfr)

Guest jbyte
Probably an unsupported character set or spaces and carriage returns that don't jive with the one on the Smartphone.

If the message is from other phone to smartphone, probably your right! But from smartphone to smartphone, I don't think so. :?:

• 2 weeks later...
Guest jabez

Hi jbyte!

My sister encountered this problem with her SAP. When we brought it to the Wireless Center, somebody there tinkered with the phone and got to a menu about "Unicode" something ... the problem was fixed

Guest jelicano

how about this BUG... do you sometimes get that are missing the first letter of the message? I thought it was just probably a keyboard defect of the sender, but it has happened to me on several occassions from different senders...

I hate my name to get slaughtered by missing first letters.. :)

Guest mapaman
how about this BUG... do you sometimes get that are missing the first letter of the message? I thought it was just probably a keyboard defect of the sender, but it has happened to me on several occassions from different senders...:)

yeah i get that too a lot, it's weird coz sometimes it's so unpredictable, sometimes from a globe subscriber, other times from a smart subscriber. very very irksome :x

• 1 month later...
Guest epato

I have the same problem missing the first character of an SMS from another phone. I also get a missing character in the middle of a message.

I'll be going to wireless Podium later and ask about this. It sucks!

Another thing is when I send a long message to another phone the message contains a "@" at the beginning of the message and another "@" in the middle of the SMS.

Duh.... what is this?

When sending from the smartphone to itself I dont get the problem.

So there is a problem sending and recieving to another phone other than a Smartphone and whatever network.

Grrrr.

Im thinking of junking my smartphone for a 3650.

Guest elizamft

I experience delays of "waking up" my Tanager after standby. It happens especially when my phone is on standby for long periods of time. Bad trip.

Thanks for the report, tried sending two messages in my phone, in a not so close interval and it only allerted me once. Hope this will be fixed. But the missing first letter was fixed after i upgraded to 1.5 version.

Guest dinoalbert

the missing text from a long sms, they say is already fixed with the new rom1.5 upgrade.

the missing alert tone is indeed a bug....if you receive an sms and didnt read it (left unread in the Inbox), and when more sms arrive, it wont give you an alert tone unless all sms are read first...hope this will also be fixed by the new rom?

Guest Geren

There is another thing that i've noticed on this message alert tone problem, that is, even if you have several unopened messages, but if the last message is opened, then you will hear a tone.

I also complained this alert tone problem in a Smart Service Center here in our place. The service people were not even aware of this problem even though one of them was using a smartphone. :roll: They said that they will bring this up to their superiors.

I wonder if Orange subscribers have the same problem with their Smartphones? cause if they don't, then it's definitely Smart's fault.

Guest spv_dman

This bug (multiple unopened sms, single message alert) are not in SAPs alone, even Orange SPVs have this. I was able to personally test this when I tried out the Orange 1.35 ROM on my SAP. Unless this is a hardware problem, I think we can all blame it on the same SMS application smartphones are using.

Guest ppcsurfr

From the last webcast, Microsoft is hard at work on improving the Smartphone OS and is in the process of addressing this problem... Will it appear in the coming Windows Mobile 2003 for Smartphone? Maybe...

Mabuhay! ~ Carlo