SMARTPHONE for DUMMIES

Guest jabez

Guest jabez

Hi there!

I'm opening this topic for "Dummies" like me who may be to ashamed to ask those silly questions about the SmartPhone and other related issues.

We have to admit it. We all started with blank, unformatted hard disks (brains) when it comes to computer related matters. I remember, a long time ago that the only DOS command I knew was "CLS". But things have gone a long way since then. It is now the Windows XP and the Windows-powered Smartphone.

So for the benefit of the "un-initiated" ... let us start this "Dummy" topic.

You can ask questions like:

What does "PC" mean?

What is a "kilobyte"?

Where is my SmartPhone's power button? (C'mon, admit it ... you tried to power up your SmartPhone with the "Record" button ... it had the red dot! ha ha ha) :)

Just ask those questions you have always wanted to ask.

As much as possible, let us keep the forum in the "Question & Answer" format.

Mabuhay!!!

Guest Xander

to tweak means to improve in small increments. it is thought to have come from the German word "zwicken", which means to pinch or to twist" (huh?). the use of tweak to define fine-tuning probably comes from the delicacy of the adjustment, "a twist or pinch" only rather than a whole upgrade.

Guest ppcsurfr
Dummy Question #2:  What does "ISPM" stand for?

Intel Persistent Storage Manager (IPSM)

The whole point of most systems is to acquire, manipulate or display data. A system that cannot reliably store data fails to perform its primary function. This solution improves data and system integrity by reliably storing both files and the Registry in flash instead of battery backed-up RAM (BBRAM). BBRAM has a number of unique failure modes. Discharged batteries, dislodged (even momentarily) batteries, ESD events and memory leaks will corrupt the data in BBRAM but will not affect linear flash.

Unlike FAT-based file systems, Intel Persistent Storage Manager is a self-contained file system and uses media management structures and techniques that are appropriate for flash memory. As a result, the files stored in the flash can be restored in the event of a power interruption, even if the media is being modified when the interruption occurs. (Only the file currently being modified when power is interrupted is in jeopardy of being lost.)

All Intel Flash memories include hardware to ignore spurious commands during power transitions.

Well, so far this is what's available from Microsoft and Intel... :wink:

Mabuhay ~ Carlo (ppcsurfr)

Guest jbyte

Well, it seems that jabez is indeed a dummy! :shock:

Anyway, for your dummy questions:

>What is a SIM?

SIM stands for "Subscriber Indentity Module". That is the card that you insert inside your phone - is your key to many services that a particular carrier (i.e. SMART, GLOBE, SUN) offerred. SMS Messaging is one of the services that we enjoy. For further details about your sim, consult the SIm user's Guide that is included in the package when you acquired your phone.

>What is "Unlocking a SIM"?

A simlock is a lock programmed into a mobile phone which only allows only one company's sim card to be used in the phone. The reasoning behind this is to keep your custom to that network. Simlocks are also referred to as SP Locks or Network locks. Once your simlock is removed you can place any (dependent on phone model) sim card into it including foreign networks if you take the phone abroad.

Unlocking a SIM therefore is a way to crack the SIMlock code on your SPV to allow any SIM full access.

How can you tell if your phone is simlocked?

If you place any card other than the one that the phone accepts, then you will get a message such as 'Incorrect Card', 'Sim Card not accepted', 'Enter Special Code', 'Enter NCK' or similar. All postpaid phones are locked to one service provider only. Unless of course you unlock it. But note: :!: don't do this one if you are not sure what you are doing!

Guest jbyte

for other dummy questions of jabez:

>What is a "Windows CE" device?

First, I will give you an idea what Windows CE is.

Windows CE is based on the Microsoft Windows operating system but is designed for including or embedding in mobile and other space-constrained devices. Although Microsoft does not explain the "CE," it is reported to have originally stood for "Consumer Electronics." (I thought that "CE" stands for "Compact Equipment" the first time)

>Is the Tanager a Windows CE device?

It is a mobile phone. So, what do you think?

Guest jabez

You're right, jbyte ... jabez is a "dummy" :? ... and he represents all the "dummies" who don't want to stay "dummies"

... so keep on answering all the dummy questions on this topic ... so there will be less dummies ... he he he

Guest jabez

Dummy Question #5: SD/MMC

What is an "SD"? What is an "MMC"?

What are the differences between the two? Which is better?

Should a user have an SD/MMC on his SmartPhone?

What size is required?

Any compatibility problems?

Do you get them from the drugstore? if not, where?

How much?

Guest jbyte

Dummy Question #5: SD/MMC

> What is an "SD"? What is an "MMC"?

SD card stands for "SecureDigital" card and MMC for "MultiMedia Card

> What are the differences between the two?

How SD Works

The SD standard provides an easy method for quickly downloading and transferring secure digital files from your computer or the Internet. By using a SD Reader it is also possible to upload files from your SD card to your computer. As the latest introduction in the competitive Flash Memory form factor, SD is an increasingly popular format for leading manufacturers of Digital devices like, MP3 players, digital cameras and PDAs. Because of its small foot print SD makes it easy for device manufacturers to integrate expansion capability into ever smaller devices.

Why Is It Different From MMC?

SD is a second generation derivative of the MMC standard. The SD format includes several important technological advancements over MMC. These include the addition of cryptographic security protection for copyrighted data and a 4X increase in data transfer rates. To help support higher-density capacities, SD cards are slightly thicker than the original MMC cards. This means that most devices designed to support SD are also backward compatible to MMC cards, but devices designed only for MMC will not support SD. To be certain, it is best to refer to your user owner manual.

> Which is better?

With the difference presented above, which one do you think?

> What size is required?

Depends on your need but I recommend 128mb and above. With 128mb you can already play a 2 hour full motion picture. The video file will around 70mb to 100mb depending on your encoding settings.

> Any compatibility problems? There are some issues regarding reliability on some other brands of SD cards. I have read from other threads that they don't recommend a certain brand, I think they mention about the "Sandisk" brand of card probably because of performance issues, not compatibility issues, since both can be used on SPVx.

> Do you get them from the drugstore? if not, where?

How much?

There's a post on the other thread called "any filipinos here?" which mention where to find this stuff and for how much. Look on this link

http://smartphone.modaco.com/viewtopic.php...er=asc&start=15

Guest jbyte

I know Jabez is not really a "dummy". :) Sorry m8 if I call you that! :oops: You just use your initiative to create this thread for our mga "KaSPAMyan" who does not know much about there Tanager, right! :D I really appreciate what you've done, m8. :lol: :lol: :lol:

So, just keep on asking questions here. I will see if I can handle those questions of yours. :(

Guest jabez

Dummy Question #6: Operating Systems

What are the different operating systems for cell phones in the market today?

Which manufacturer uses which?

What is the "Symbian"? Does Nokia use this system?

Is "SmartPhone 2002" an operating system?

Note to anyone who replies: Please remember that this thread is for "dummies". No "braintwisters" please.

Guest ppcsurfr
Although Microsoft does not explain the "CE," it is reported to have originally stood for "Consumer Electronics." (I thought that "CE" stands for "Compact Equipment" the first time)

>Is the Tanager a Windows CE device?  

It is a mobile phone. So, what do you think?

"CE" while it was thought to stand for Compact Edition, Sompact Equipment, Connsumer Electronics... actually doesn't stand for anything... at least that's how things are now...

As for the Smartphone 2002 devices? Well, they are running on CE.

Guest Anjo448

Question about gprs setting:

How do i configure the gprs for globe (assuming i have already desimlock my SAP)...

salamat

Guest jabez

:?: Dummy Question #7: VCD's on the SmartPhone

What type of files are in VCD's?

When I explore the files, I see "AVSEQ01.DAT"?

Aren't they supposed to be MPEG files or something? How come "Windows Media Encoder" doesn't recognize them?

Guest ppcsurfr

@jabez: All you have to do is copy the whole avseq01.dat into your PC's hard drive then change the file extesion from *.dat to *.mpg.

Then you can use it with Windows Media Encoder.

President

Guest jabez

Hi Carlo!

How do I change the file tag to mpg? I tried right-clicking the file and renaming it. But when I tried to open it in WME, it was still AVSEQ01.mpg.DAT.

Is there a file converter or something?

Guest vctor

change your explorer settings first...go to tools > folder option > then dapat uncheck yung "Hide known extension for known file types".

Guest jabez

Hi vctor!

I just did what you taught me to do about the explorer settings. It worked! Thanks a lot! I just encoded my first VCD-to-WMV movie.

Now, since this is a thread for Dummies, could you please tell us what happened? How can a simple change in file extension change the way WME recognizes a file? Is the DAT file an MPEG file in disguise?

Guest dinoalbert

Also another question...I have read from other threads that they were able to convert some DVD movies into avi/wmv/mpg files and view in on the Tanager (or PPC)..... anyone knows how to do this and what program do i need to do this?

Thanks...

Guest jabez

:?: Dummy Question #8: MoDaCo

What type of company/entity is MoDaCo?

What are its products?

What keeps it going (finances)? Sponsors? members?

I really feel this is a DUMMY-DUMMY question but I just need to ask.

Guest marky

how can i store MP3 on my tanager????? could you give me a step by step procedure????? what whould you suggest MP3 or wma????????

Guest dinoalbert

Use Active Synch. Just copy and paste the MP3 from your PC to any folder in your Tanager, but I suggest that since MP3s have large filesize, you store it in your SD card. Then use Windows Media Player, it will automatically find the MP3 files in your phone.

MP3s have better quality than WMA but they are large and could occupy large amount of space. WMA are smaller in size. Its up to you. If you have a lot of music files to store, better convert it first to WMA format so it could fit into your limited memory. But if you have high-capacity SD card and space is not a problem for you, you can use MP3 format as you wish.

Try listening to a song in both MP3 and WMA format and you decide which is good for you.