Latest news on Next orange smartphone

Guest theodotcom

Guest one.ear

Here are the complete Upgrade thresholds on Orange, averages are worked out per handset, not per account (i.e if monthly spend on account is £300 spread over 5 handsets, amount would be £60.00 average per handset.)

Band 1 - Average spend less than £30

Band 2 - Average spend between £30 and £60

Band 3 - Average spend more than £60

0-<3 months

1 - £250 (was £150)

2 - £250 (was £100)

3 - £250 (was £50)

3-<7 months

1 - £200 (was £150)

2 - £100 (was £100)

3 - £50 (was £50)

7-<12 months

1 - £125 (was £100)

2 - £75 (was £75)

3 - £0 (was £30)

12-<18 months

1 - £50 (was £0)

2 - £0 (was £0)

3 - £0 (was £0)

18+ months

1 - £0 (was £0)

2 - £0 (was £0)

3 - £0 (was £0)

Ben

Guest Gorskar

Well, my average monthly spend is probably around about the £30 mark, once you factor in orange care and £6 for the GPRS. However if it works out cheaper to cancel the contract and take out a new one then I will be doing that.

You can still cancel and take out a new contract at the end of one year even if you are inthe lowest spending band, so the 18month upgrade restriction doesnt make a lot of sense.

Guest awarner [MVP]

Just upgraded my wife's phone to a SPV for free and was told no problem just renew a 12 month

subscription. Like I posted earlier I'ts on a pay the everytime 20 charge and that's it as she very rarley

makes any calls.

I also asked about the SPVx and was told it should be soon, that's why there are giving the SPV away for free.

Guest Gorskar

According to www.coolsmartphone.com, the SPVx if/when it is released will cost at least an extra £100 on top of the SPV price.

Guest Gorskar

Well, I guess you could take that to mean that we can't believe what we hear from Orange - given that everyone who has compared the two has said that the difference is very obvious.

Guest Simon Desser
Well, I guess you could take that to mean that we can't believe what we hear from Orange - given that everyone who has compared the two has said that the difference is very obvious.

The futures bright(er with a Tanager) :!: :)

Screens.jpg

Guest Chris b.a.r.f.
Orange not releasing the tanager that sucks.. :evil:  :cry:

Right now Orange are negotiating with a few manufacturers - Mitac, amongst others. I'll try to find out whether HTC are still in the picture, but I can't really see O bothering with the Tanager with SP2003 on the horizon. The release of the next-gen Orange Smartphone will coincide with the release of SP2003.

Guest Monolithix [MVP]

TBH i'd expect to see a SP2003 Mitac as the SPX mk2. They have a working production model of that, only down side is the delays due to SARS.

I heard that the Asus was bearly even a proof of concept, the pictures everyone has seen were of a dummy handset...

The .NET bloke i chatted with at the meet said that we should be seeing SP2003 handsets in Europe by xmas, so heres to a 200mhz handset running the new OS version :)

Guest Chris b.a.r.f.
I say Orange should try and get their hands on the Samsung - i700, that phone looks wicked!!

Unlikely, unfortunately. Noone's even 100% sure whether this phone's actually going to make production....shame, the only clamshell phone I've really liked so far.

Guest Chris b.a.r.f.
I heard that the Asus was bearly even a proof of concept, the pictures everyone has seen were of a dummy handset...

That Asus is certainly a cracking phone tech-wise, but the look of the thing...naah. 'er indoors would love it, tho' :)

Guest Chris b.a.r.f.
Yeh, sort of (Pocket PC Phone Edition)

You're right though, bloody nice phone. Samsung are on a roll at the minute...