Matrix Screensaver and PocketCandySP B1.2 (motbe)

Guest benjymous

Guest eyup

Bear in mind i'm a complete novice and know nothing about programming ;-) but how hard would it be to make an app that runs in the background (like smartface & that loads on each startup) that would automatically run an .exe after a set length of time if no keys are pressed? kinda like simulating a screen saver.

i know the practical benefits arent great and it would drain system resources but i'm guessing most people are not really bothered when it would look good in front of your mates!

any thoughts?

ps it'll probably be impossible but i have to wait till my finals are out the way b4 i can even consider learning how to program!! and what ca/cant be done ;-) so dont be too cruel if i totally wayward in my thinking ;-)

Guest Shuflie

Any chance that someone could knock together a small app that runs as a process in the background that monitors the keypad and runs a specified program on a timer. What I would expect to happen is this

1 start countdown (user selectable time period)

2 has any key been pressed?

Yes = reset countdown

3 Has zero been reached

Yes = run program (User selectable)

4 Is (program) running?

Yes = goto 4

No = goto 1

Kind of a home made screen saver option, not very battery friendly and definately not "logoable" but if the demand is there why not?

I'm not up to the task myself not I sure someone out there is.

Guest gradiation

I'd be happy with something u could set running then lock your keypad, and unlocking the keypad took u back to the home scrteen

Guest dinoalbert

excuse my ignorance but should I just copy it to IPSM/Windows folder or IPSM/Windows/Start Menu folder?

how would you activate this Matrix thing after installing it?

thanks...

Guest gradiation

1) Run from PC

2) after completion, goto IPSMWindows

3) rename MatrixCE.scr to MatrixCE.exe

4) use smart explorer to navigate to IPSMWindows

5) run exe file

Guest Croccy22

I don't know if I could do this because my standard C++ programming is not up to scratch but could someone find the time to write an application that does as follows:

Has a config option which you can point to any .exe file on the phone.

Sits minimised and waits for x seconds. (Set by user).

It no keys are pressed after this time it executes the specified exe file.

The reason I ask for this is that I would love to write a screen saver in gapidraw. It could run for say a minute and then shutdown completely allowing the phone to go into powersaving mode and reducing battery usage.

Once this has shut down the program would then have to wait for a wake up event before re starting the count down.

I'm sure this is possible. According to some orange site i was looking at there is a program called dockwae on the sdcard you get with the phone and this displays itself like a screensaver.

Matt.

Guest benjymous

i haven't tried it, but I think dockware runs automatically whenever you dock your phone to recharge, which I think is a far better time to run a screensaver than just after a set time (i.e. when your phone is sat on your desk for all to see, you can have it doing some impressive looking graphical effect to impress passers by)

Guest Croccy22

Hmm I see your point. So maybe an app that when the spv is docked it executes an exe file.

In the exe file i could then just get it to wait for a key press before quiting.

it would then not load again until the spv is redocked. Marvelous!!!

Matt

Guest rayon

Yeah ... well I' installed it thru the desktop, did put it on the storage card ... and I've tryied to find it in ipsm/windows ... but nothing in here ???

Help !! :roll:

Guest Croccy22

rayon: If you chose to install it to the storage card, it will be in the windows folder on the storage card :)

Anyway just for a laugh download this one!! Not as good as the original but I can guarntee it didn't take anywhere near as long to write!!

Extract both files into a folder and run the exe using smart explorer or similar.

Matt

MatrixGapi.zip

Matrix.JPG

Guest drblow

rayon -

It just installs a .scr file - it will be on the storage card if thats where you put it. When you find it, use a file explorer to rename it .exe - then click it to run.

Guest dinoalbert

Cant I just put it in the IPSM/Windows/Start Menu so that I dont have to open Smart Explorer and instead just click on Programs and find the Matrix.exe?

Guest mike-oh
The source can be found on the author's page (original post) so whatever command is used should be in there

Only problem with keeping the screen on is that I've noticed it consumes power faster than it can recharge when docked, which is a shame (as it'd be cool to have that running whenever the phone's charging)

Really? Is that just with the matrix screen saver on? I always leave my backlight and display on with the charger plugged in and it charges fine. Usually i'll have dockware running.

Guest motbe

Hey all. I'm the person who actually wrote PocketCandy.. I found this thread because it was generating so many hits to my site.

So far, I've not written a version of the software specifically for the "SmartPhone", but as you're finding, most ARM executables work on there. I actually didn't know there was quite as much demand for this type of thing for the smartphone, but now knowing that there is, I'd be interested in porting it over to work on there.

Many of you had questions about how to configure PocketCandy. Normally, there's a Control Panel applet (on the PocketPC at least) that lets you configure the software. However, the entire framework for the Control Panel on the Smartphone is different than what I have on the PocketPC. In doing a bit of rudimentary research last night, it's configured using XML files (namely the main one being something like root.cpl.xml in your windows directory). There's seemingly no documentation for that type of thing, but once I find it, I can whip up a "Settings" applet for it on the smartphone.

If anyone's interested in helping me test it out, I'd be grateful! I don't own a smartphone myself (maybe one day, especially if I was selling pocketcandy I could buy myself one), so I'll need a bit of help in testing it to make sure it runs correctly.

For now, all the configuration options for PocketCandy are stored in the Registry under the key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESoftwareStrickland ConsultingPocketCandy

If that key doesn't exist, create it.

Under that key, the following options work:

(DWORD): set this to the # of minutes you want the device to wait for before launching a screensaver when it's on battery power

[*]Delay (DWORD): Set this to the # of minutes you want the device to wait for before launching a screensaver when the phone's in its cradle or recharging.

[*]Screen Saver (String): Set this to the name of the screensaver you want launched (i.e. "MatrixCE.scr", "MystifyCE.scr", etc). You can also put the value "" for it to choose a Random screensaver, "" for it to cycle through all screensavers, and "" to disable it.

[*]Screen Saver Dir (String): Set this to be the directory you have all the screensavers stored in. The default should be "Windows"

There are a few other values that get stored in there, but I think those are controlled by the CandyDaemon.exe executable itself.

When you change the registry values, you'll need to soft-reset your phone in order for the changes to take effect. And note that the CandyDaemon needs to always be running. I'm not certain if when it installs on the smartphone that it runs automatically, but from what I've read here, I am assuming it does...

So, HTH. If anyone's up for helping me test out a new version that's built specifically for the smartphone. Let me know.

Daniel Strickland

http://www16.brinkster.com/motbe/

Guest Richie M

Daniel you are a star :( TBH i didnt install Pocket Candy just the Matrix Screen Saver, but looking at what you have wrote it'll be on my phone tonight :) as it appears Pocket Candy is THE app everyone wants!

I had looked at the Matrix SS code to port it, but unfortunately havent got time :lol:

I would be more than happy to help test any new version you come up with :D

Unfortunatly Pocket Candy won't work on the Smartphone platform in it's current state. :cry:

The Matrix "screen saver" does work in a way, by changing the file suffix from ".scr" to ".exe". This enables it to run, but at the moment there is no program that will launch a screen saver in the same way that Pocket Candy does on PocketPC.

I imagine that it will be quite a task, and that there could also be battery and memory issues (not having enough of either!).

Motbe, if you do look into doing a port of Pocket Candy to Smartphone, I am sure that you will find many eager beta testers through this board! :)

Guest Dave DR

ok... here is a simple way to make it a screen saver... run the program.... and press and hold the Red hang up button... it will lock the keys, and after a few seconds it will swap back to the matrix exe!! yipee!! :)