Matrix Screensaver and PocketCandySP B1.2 (motbe)

Guest benjymous

Guest sunny

i think candydaemon has to be run before launching pocketcandy :

then after putting matrix.scr into windows directory we got this screens...

but as expected... after a reboot... files are erased... bye bye Matrix.scr .... but fortunately there's only a small thing to change in pocket candy !

Aquarium doenst work... quite sad !

1.jpg

2.jpg

Guest motbe

You can place the screensavers in any location you like, but you'll need let PocketCandy know what directory they're in so it can find them. To do that you can make a change to the Registry:

Key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESoftwareStrickland ConsultingPocketCandy

Value:

Screen Saver Dir

If you've run the configuration app already, you'll find that that value's already filled with the "windows" directory. But you can change it to anything you like.

Can anyone give me more info on the IPSMWindows dir thing? It's quite strange that Microsoft resets the windows dir when you reset the phone. If I can get this thing solid enough to run on the smartphone, I'll whip up an install for it, and then everyone can install via a cab file. So, I'd certainly be grateful for any help on figuring out where things need to go so they're not wiped out on soft-reset.

Also, it will only look for .scr files. I limited PocketCandy to that because otherwise every EXE would show up in the Screensaver list by default, and when choosing the or options, this would be bad, since it would launch those EXE's which weren't meant to be screensaver's.

Aquarium should work too, so long as you rename the file to have an SCR extension.

Guest motbe
i think candydaemon has to be run before launching pocketcandy

Well, you can run the PocketCandySP.exe file without the other running. CandyDaemon is really just an app that monitors keystrokes, and that launches the screensaver when your delay time has gone by without anyone pressing keys on the phone. So, if you don't run that app, then the screensavers will never launch. The Configuration app actually tries to launch the CandyDaemon.exe when it exits if you've selected a screensaver. But if it's not in the "windows" dir it won't work. That's hardcoded right now, but can be changed once I figure out where the files need to go.

Does the SmartPhone's "Program Files" directory get reset every time the phone gets reset as well?

Guest MoRFLeZ
Does the SmartPhone's "Program Files" directory get reset every time the phone gets reset as well?

Nopes it doesn't.

I'm not sure how it's spose to work. But I placed both the files on my Storage Card, along with the matrix.scr.

Then I rebooted, ran CandyDaemon (which I guess you would have to place a shortcut to in Start Up menu .. so it always runs .. which I spose it has to .. to be able to see when it needs to load the screensaver)

Then I ran the PocketCandy thing to determine when it should launch and how .. set all of the things to the lowest value .. and waited! Nuffin .. (oh I also fixed the key to find the right path to the screensaver...

Guest MoRFLeZ

Hmmm well now it's able to find the Matrix screensaver on my Storage Card!

Now I just need to figure out how/when it will run it...

EDITED: It works!

Guest MoRFLeZ

*wiggles*!

It's quite awesome! A part from the fact that my phone recertified itself during a boot (along with all my registry settings it seems *glare*)!

Oh well ... *happy rebuilding*

Guest Scarfman007

I'm sorry, but could you please explain how you got it to work?

I've copied the two files from motbe's zip file (PocketCandySP.exe and CandyDaemon.exe) onto my storage card at 'Storage CardProgram FilesPocketCandy' and made my own links to them on the Start Menu.

I run CandyDaemon first, then PocketCandy - the screen comes up with the options boxes, but there is nothing to select from in any of them (all boxes are blank, including ones like 'Delay')! Also I downloaded PHM regedit and where motbe said there would be a key

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESoftwareStrickland ConsultingPocketCandy

set to 'windows' there is one, but it is not set to anything (as mentioned before I've run the PocketCandy prog, but it doesn't seem to work properly? Also I can't quit it .. clicking 'Done' does nothing). So I set it to

Storage CardProgram FilesPocketCandyscr

(where I currently have Aquarium.scr), press back to get back to home screen (no 'Quit' option?) and still PocketCandy has no options in any of the menus. If I go back to regedit the key I set has been blanked again :? .

Any help would be appreciated as I'd really like to get this working!

Scarfman

Guest MoRFLeZ

Well you seem to have done everything perfectly! Now you just need to reboot your phone, and it should have options for ya *S*

Guest Brody

The only problems i have found are that the matrix screensaver doesn't appear infront of the bottom bar when the keys are locked and the screensavers don't move behind incoming call screens.

Guest Dave DR

ok, i have writen a cab file that will install the files in the right locations, edit the registary and install the screen savers..

Have a look on my site...

Guest ukpauls

think it very cool, love having the matrix on the screen, but as brody pointed out bit of a pain with the incoming calls screen being hiden.

anyway looks good

Guest MoRFLeZ

My phone looks so freaking awesome, sitting there in my cradle with lil fishes swimming around! But as some has already stated, you might want to shut down the screensaver when someone calls!

I have smartface installed, and it look really weird when I receive a call *hehe*! Flashing fishies and funny faces .. *cringe*!

Otherwise you've done an AWESOME job! This is something we've been waiting for...

*two thumbs up*

Guest MoRFLeZ

Yeah that might be an idea! Having an option when to kill it off.

I was curious, so I ran a little test!

My backlight goes off after 30 seconds. But the screen doesn't go off.

Starting at 91% battery power left, I left my phone on the counter. I timed 10 minutes precisely from when the screensaver kicked in (the backlight had already turned off).

10 minutes later, checked battery status - still at 91% *glare*.

Have to run a few more tests I guess, but I don't think it's too harsh on the battery *cheer*

Guest MoRFLeZ

Same test, only using the Matrix screensaver!

From 91% to 89% in 10 minutes flat!

Of course I don't know if it was in the low end or middle end of 91% =) ... and I would run longer and more accurate tests if I could keep my sticky lil fingers off my phone *hehe*.

Guest madu

After checking Matrix code and that is C++ not "code" lol :) some people said that it is gonna be hungry coz it takes all CPU cycles, but the aquarium.... Just about to get it working myself...

[EDIT]

@motbe:

You can have .cab install it to either, or:

IPSMProgram FilesYourFolderHere

Storage CardProgram FilesYourFolderHere

If it is on SD and you boot without SD it will obviously not start. Since the program is tiny, I suggest you default it to IPSM memory only.

I suggest it uses either same folder or Storage CardScreenSavers, but definitely on SD.

[OT]

IPSM = internal persistant memory store. It rewrites Windows folder I assume to ensure integrity of base phone OS to prevent malicious damage. ie, whatever you do - it will always work after restart. Furry muff - you don't wanna end up wiith no phone after a wrong line in autoexec.bat lol :(

Guest motbe

Thanks Madu, I'll make some mods tonight to the code that'll make it a bit easier to work with on the smartphone. Not having one does havae its disadvantages! I'll probably go ahead and whip up my own Cab File/installer for it tonight.

BTW, has anyone set the "Battery Disable" option to "Yes"? If so, can you let me know if the screensavers only run when the phone's recharging/in cradle or if they still run too when it's on battery..

And MoRFLeZ, sorry your registry got wiped.. I can't guarantee my software, since I don't have a SmartPhone myself.... But hopefully we can get all the bugs out.

Guest MoRFLeZ
And MoRFLeZ, sorry your registry got wiped..  I can't guarantee my software, since I don't have a SmartPhone myself....  But hopefully we can get all the bugs out.

Hehe no worries... I like rebuilding every now and then! Plus was probably due to a QuickReset proggy .. and not your fab lil one!

Anyways, I tried setting "Battery Disable" to "yes" - and the screensaver doesn't work.

Edited: My bad, it works flawlessly, it just seems to take a wee bit longer to kick in...?!? Impatiently little me!!

And you guys wont believe it, but I actually managed to stay away from my SPV for a WHOLE hour. With 5 seconds to the backlight going off, and letting the aquarium screensaver run from an hour. My battery dropped from 99% to 95%! Not too shabby...

Guest madu

YES!! Battery disabled works!! No SS when off charge and runs properly when on charge!! GOOD MAN!!!

So this could in effect run anything right? Can we allow for it to run links (.lnk) - that way... Or just 1 particular link say screeny.lnk that would be in Screensaver folder. Run a tune for example, or something..

Guest motbe

What's the normal battery life like on the SmartPhone? (hopefully better than my Panasonic Allure!)

I'm not sure about Croccy's Matrix SS, but as for mine, it's using standard GDI, which is going to take up more cycles than running it via GapiDraw (that's what Croccy's using). So, potentially I could optimize it.. Or Croccy can take a stab at modding that code for me since I'm not too up to par on my Gapi/GapiDraw skills!

Guest MoRFLeZ

Battery life is generally thought as very poor. I have to charge mine every night, and with screensaver I surely have to put it in the cradle when I get home from uni! (which isn't really a problem, cause I tend to leave it in my cradle anyways...)

Guest Saif
How ? saif !!! how did you do that ?

umm... havin gused smart explorer to create a shortcut to the scrnsaver and dropped it into a menu folder I then highlighted the scrnsaver and pressed the right soft key and selected add speed dial... hey presto...

works a treat...

and I've set up my Phone lock to kick in after a couple of mins.. so I just have this thing in the background...

wicked 8)

Guest TGSX4

you can also create a shortcut for the daemon, and place it into IPSMWINDOWSSTART UP.. and the prog automatically launch when you turn on the phone...