Beta Software - SmartMP3

Guest carlosp_uk

Guest carlosp_uk

Hi, guys.

I've had a Smartphone for a couple of weeks now and I'm developing a proper MP3 manager, to organise your mp3 collection and transfer playlists, audio and so on over to the device, without having to open ActiveSync / Explorer / etc...

If you would like to try out the Beta and provide feedback, please visit:

The SmartMP3 HomePage

...please remember, this is very early beta, so it won't be perfect, but I think you'll agree it's a great start towards providing us Smartphone users with a sensible, quick way to manage our music collection and transfer it to/from the phone.

Comments please!

Carlos

Guest carlosp_uk

Brief info on how it works:

0. Connect your smartphone via cradle before running.

1. Run the program.

2. Add in folders containing music using the 'Explorer' tab.

3. Use the 'Database' to search your music collection, view albums/artists/etc.

4. Double-click files to edit ID3 tags, genre, etc. Click 'Play' button to hear your files.

5. To create a new playlist : Click 'Playlists' in the tree, then press the new playlist button.

6. Drag music files onto the playlist. (or multi-select from list and use the arrow button underneath)

7. Drag the playlist name from the tree, down into the 'Mobile Device' playlist section.

8. It will begin copying the playlist, plus all associated music files, to your device. It's a background process, so you can still continue to use the program whilst it does this.

PLAYLISTS APPEAR IN YOUR START MENU - UNDER 'MUSIC'. Goto Tools -> Options to change this.

...or, just drag individual music files down into the 'Mobile Device' section to copy them without creating playlists.

Known Bugs/Limits:

- Search/Filter not implemented

- Multiple selections work, but not with drag/drop.

- It would be great to copy Albums direct to smartphone without having to put them into a playlist yet... ...WIP.

no WMA support

no uninstall

could not get it to put multiple files into a playlist

when you close the app the process keeps running using alot of memory

good start tho might pay money for an app with the above fixes

cheers

Guest carlosp_uk

Thanks for the feedback so far! Keep it coming, I'll be adding in a lot of these features.

Shaky - there shouldn't be any probs with the download, it seems OK for me; you have to visit this page, then right click the links to the ZIP files. Let me know if you're still having probs.

Guest carlosp_uk

OK, have corrected some of these initial bugs; v0.1b released:

- Terminates properly

- Mulitple drag/drop of files to playlist.

- Sort by column

There should already be:

- Full Uninstall

- WMA support

By Sunday night, there will be a v0.1c with more features implemented.

Download files from:

http://www.fatattitude.com/software/smartmp3.asp

Guest grownEd

Hey, this is actually pretty good!!

Tried it out - installed OK first time - had to remember to put phone in cradle when I run it.

Really like the interface and the concept - especially that it copies the files in the background so I can keep searching for mp3s. Good to see my whole music collection and browse by artist etc. Filters dont work yet. WMA I can copy but not add to database.

It's quite slow to copy, but I think that's a limitation of the phone not the proggy. Would be great to copy albums without having to make playlists.

But... ...I would DEF pay for this as a release with bugs fixed! NICE ONE!

Guest fraser

Yeah, it's looking good. Any discount for beta testers? Especially ones like myself who are professional testers? :)

(meanwhile all the developers think: "professional testers"? eh?)

Guest fraser

Feature request:

Allow for automatic downsampling. When the user copies a file of a certain bitrate and above, the utility would convert that format to one of the users choosing.

For example, I have all my media at 160kbit/s or more. On the auto system on this phone, that is pointless. I usually convert these to wma files at 64kbit/s for use on the phone. A tool that could do this for me would be worth it's weight in gold.

Not too complicated to do; just grab an encoder and launch it against each track, making tempory copies of each file. Then move the file across.

Guest fraser

Some bugs/suggestions:

Don't rely on ID3 tags. Most folk don't use them. If you are going to force users into using a song database, you'll need to give the people who don't have well named ID3 a chance. In the Artist/Album section (etc) put in an "All" selection.

Personally, I'd rather not use a database. When you have 50 Gig of mp3 on a network share or on the web, it doesn't really work. Let me browse to the files in some way please.

I can't add *.wma files to the database, only mp3

I can't update the supported types with in the config dialog. Changes are accepted but not saved. Which file should I edit to force this? Hex edit, or will notepad do? Or is the *.wma bug a problem elsewhere?

When I exited the program last time, it corrupted my windows shell icon cache, meaning all my desktop shortcuts have the wrong picture. That's bad news, 'cos most folk don't know how to fix it (TweakUI let's you do it)

Opening the Tools/config menu, I get a "There has been an error: 5: Invalid procedure call or argument". The resume suggestion appears to work.

I'm running on a Win 2000 box, connected to SPV with lots of space free on a 128MB card, over USB.

Other than that, it's looking great. Can't wait to see the final product! :)

Guest Palindrome

Whereas I do use ID3 tags and find them very useful. I like the database support. Of course it would be ideal to have functionality for myself and Fraser.

-The new 0.1ba is improved from the previous version.

-It's a little clearer now how to use the program.

-All the tooltips are working that I tried but I can't get the inner window to maximize when the whole program has maximized. This means I have to use the sliding bar to see all my MP3 info in the database window.

-It would be good to have a track number column in the database view so I can be sure my albums will play in the correct order or I can re-edit them if I see any mistakes.

-An uninstall shortcup in the startmenu would be a help. I know you can uninstall from Add/Remove Programs but I'm lazy and you know the saying, 'God is in the details'.

If I think of anything else I'll let you know but this is looking to be a great program. Thanks for your time in this.

Guest carlosp_uk

SmartMP3 is now in advanced beta - version 0.2 is available from the Smart MP3 page here.

THIS VERSION IS A VAST IMPROVEMENT over v0.1:

- LOTS of enhancements / fixes (see below)

- Add/transfer music from existing filestore; database now optional.

- WMA files fully compatible.

- Full Tag/File Info Editing

A big thank you to everyone who has beta-tested and replied, either via email or this forum. To address some points:

MECx - All your suggestions have been added / fixed.

grownEd - You can now include WMA files in your playlists.

fraser - Most of your suggestions have been added / fixed. Please let me know if the program still gives an error in the 'Options' window.

fraser - Downsampling is in alpha; will be included in next release.

Palindrome - Working on the window size for a future release... ...thanks for your comments.

THANKS TO ALL.. ...PLEASE POST BUGS / COMMENTS OR EMAIL ME!

YES, fraser, beta testers WILL be given a discount for your help and troubles!

Guest PsychoDave

Good work fella :) ;) :D

Just a quick question tho. On your site it says download version is 0.1ba is this the latest or I am a wee bit confusssssed :?

Cheers again,

Guest grownEd

Whoa! WMA support! :-) :-) :-)

This program has come on leaps and bounds since your original beta - I'm even more impressed. This is awesome.

If you need anyone to betatest the sample rate conversion - let me know!

======

gE ;-)

Guest neilfenstein

how the hell do you rearrange the files to get them in order!

This isnt what i would call user friendly!

I have obviously overlooked something as lots of people seem impressed, to me it just seems to get all of the files you want ie. an album and jumbles the order. This is the same as if you cut and paste using the computer.

HELP :?