The point of moderators?

Guest pteale

Guest awarner [MVP]
What is the point of moderators on a forum like this?

They seem to censor or close topics of valid posts.

Whilst i understand that duplicate posts about a similar topic can be frustrating i think its wrong to censor posts unless there offensive in some way.

There is also a lot of inconsistency in what they do and dont moderate too.

No doubt they will get locked too but ive made my point.

First off posts are only generaly deleted (censored as you put it) if they contain

Piracy links requests etc. or if they are a crosspost (as long as no one has replied to them.)

Topics are normaly locked if it is a duplicate post or a crosspost. it's pointless having people reply to the same question if the post next to it has exactly the same question being asked, try continuing an existing thread.

You have pm'ed the mod who was involved with your post in question

and as far as I am concerned you have been given a satifactory answer.

constantly pming will not win you any votes. Take what has happened like a man, what if your post was locked? there is no point in starting a new post bitching about it just because you did not get your way.

Lots of topics get moved , deleted or locked you are not alone but for some reason you believe your post was more important than all the other posts here.

Also we Moderate because we want to, we have given up our time to try and help Paul with the running of this site, we don't ask for thanks we just try our best in the time we have available.

no pleasing some people :roll:

Yes I think we do, particularly for piracy links etc. to keep the reputation of the forum. They may not need to be as strict IMHO as they are but I think they necessary.

Anyway I think you've made you point now.

Guest awarner [MVP]
Just to stir up the the hornets nest some more:

I do think pteale's got a point and it's been mentioned before in loads of other threads. The hassle of repeated questions is now less annoying than the millions of "Search first!" and "Topic locked/moved" posts.

One thing for everyone to do is try and search themselves before posting

DO A SEARCH as searches do not always work :) , if possible give a link as well as politely suggesting about a search. I did think the "do a search" type posts have been cutting down a bit.

I do try and give links if possible or not post at all.

and I think more members are doing this as well.

Guest vampyre69

Ohh look what we've got here a f@cking comedian.

Why aggresively share your one issue that no-one really cares about and start a slangin match.

You really should approace the moderator 1st then post something that has a constructive view not a "30second after incident I'm still angry rant"

We are all mature here and problems/issues/conflicts should really be dealt with in a maner that reflects this not...

...I'm still at school trying to prove a point routine.

Sorry but posts like this annoy me because it gets everyone banging on and then it the post losses its impact.

Guest ClintEastman

Out of interest (last time I said that I got flamed :cry:) what warrants a warning?

PS What a stupid thing to say we don’t need mods, what would stop people posting pictures of gerbil’s pooholes? :wink:

Guest Monolithix [MVP]

Clinteastman:

In pteales case:

Insulting a mod.

Issuing orders to the mods.

Harrasing the mods.

Spaming.

Flame baiting.

Bad language.

Other things include:

Constant bad language.

Piracy.

Illegal file sharing.

etc.

edit- posting pictures of gerbil's poo holes, happy now? ;p -Mono

Guest pteale
Clinteastman:

In pteales case:

Insulting a mod.

Issuing orders to the mods.

Harrasing the mods.

Spaming.

Flame baiting.

Bad language.

Other things include:

Constant bad language.

Piracy.

Illegal file sharing.

etc.

I didnt do any of that, your making it all up

Guest DJHope

This topic is proper funny at the end of the day you dont really have any rights here so shut up, paul owns the board and chooses the moderators apropriately! Its not a 5th amendment job, get ya own board if ya pissed off!

DJ Hope

Guest fraser

Yup. Censorship is when you take a bunch of reporters out to a war, and you pick the reporters that you know will do what they are told. You give them a stern warning that if they break the party line, they get sent home. That's what censorship and control of the media is.

Trying to make a web-board as useful as possible for a wide audience is moderation. If it were censorship, we wouldn't even know you were angry; all your posts would be deleted.

Honestly, world war III is about to kick off and he's complaining about posts deleted on a board about mobile phones. Get a grip.

Guest HelloDave

Well said fraser! :)

If we didn't have mods we might not have this board becuase it would probably contain enough suspect material (piracy etc) that Paul would have been forced to shut it down! Sorry, but if you don't like the way things are run then no one's forcing you to stay here - go and start your own board, but you might be the only user on it...

this post has had me in stitches man!!!!!

just one question if Mr Eastman did post a picture of a gerbils poo hole would he get a warning for it??

it didnt seem to be on the list? :twisted:

Man I love threads like this! Especially on a Saturday night after a few beers! :D

Someone set the ring up, and I'll go and start selling the tickets!! :) ;)