PocketCandy 1.2 (BETA) (Updated June 7th, See first post)

Guest motbe

Sorry guys - don't know what happened there - downloaded from "www.haxware.co.uk" and had same problem, but downloaded from "www.haxware.pipex.dsl.com" and installed without any problems at all!

Very strange - same file in two locations and one doesn't work! "Re-copied" the file to "www.haxware.co.uk" an dall appears to be working again now....

EDIT: Uploaded motbe's 06/07/2003 latest version

PM me if you have any problems with getting the file from either of these sites!

Hax

Guest terminater2_uk

Struggling to get this to work. Have rerad through every page of both topics, and as far as I can see I've done everything right. Downloaded the cab, installed to Storage Card-program files. Altered the registry value to StorageCardProgramFilesPocketCandyScreenscreensavers

Settings gives me the Random-cycle-none options only.

So I set it to random just to see what happens, put the phone in my cradle and...nothing.

Have I missed something?

Also, when I choose "load at startup" option to yes, it resets back to no as soon as I leave.

Guest fozzie
StorageCardProgramFilesPocketCandyScreenscreensavers

Have I missed something?

Shouldn't there be a space between Storage & Card and Program & Files?

There is on mine :)

Guest Brody

Is it not more to do with the fact that u have "Screenscreensavers" instead of the word "Screensavers"???

You only need to write "screen" once!! :wink:

I agree with the spaces as well!!

Guest terminater2_uk

:) The screen savers was a spelling mistake, the spaces I've just altered. Also, am I supposed to have the charger in or out?

And why wont battery disable stay on yes?

By the way, I can see my screensavers in options now :(

Guest fozzie

:(

You, don't need the charger plugged in - only if you have set 'Battery Disable' on - that way, the screensaver will only kick in if you are on mains, to save battery life.

Hmm, my battery disable survives a soft reset?! The load at startup doesn't - but that's being looked at.

Enjoy your screensavers :)

Guest Speedy

Okay here is what i can conclude so far....

The app is just fantastic..... but,

I think we can confirm that it will not run of the SD Card. It install nicely (except for the registry which you have to change to Storage Card instead of IPSM). When you run your settings and haven selected your screensaver, pressed done and waited for at minute, you get a litte the little "loading" pie as if it gonna run it, but nothing happens.

Another thing i pondered about when installing the latest update was that it did not include the Windows and the Aquarium screen savers? (my two favorite ones)

Certainly, the Aquarium screensaver is someone else's work.

I think I'm correct in saying that you should just think of PocketCandy as a screensaver launcher.....

Hax

Guest Speedy

See thats what i dont get!!!!

I have done everything in my power to get it to run of the SD but it wont.

Did the install --> to the sd card.

Did the edit registry --> from IPSM...... to Storage Card....

The config utility finds all the Screensavers nicely

I switch to one minut delay and sit there staring a my phone.

After 1 min the think pie comes up but nothing happens.........

""WHY"" :!: :!:

Guest Saif

Mine WAS working off the SD card till this morning... after a couple of reboots to sort out the Ansafone icon I now have a non functionning Pocket Candy.... :)

It also changed my ringtone for some reason..... all the files are there and you can launch and run pocket Candy but nothing happens after a minute.... strange...

will do a reinstall in while... if I can be bothered...

cheers...

any ideas will be welcomed...

Guest Saif

did a complete uninstall... a few reboots, a new install...a few reboots...

and hey... its working again....

no idea why though......

ho hum....

:?: :?: :?:

Guest motbe
I think we can confirm that it will not run of the SD Card. It install nicely (except for the registry which you have to change to Storage Card instead of IPSM). When you run your settings and haven selected your screensaver, pressed done and waited for at minute, you get a litte the little "loading" pie as if it gonna run it, but nothing happens.
As others have mentioned already, it does run off the SD card, just getting the registry settings right is the trick. Can someone post the settings that get stored in the registry under HKLMSoftwareStrickland ConsultingPocketCandy right after it gets installed to a Smart Card (instead of installing to the IPSM storage on the phone? If I can see what settings it stores, I can figure out why it's not working when it gets installed to the SD card.

Another thing i pondered about when installing the latest update was that it did not include the Windows and the Aquarium screen savers? (my two favorite ones)

As Hax mentioned, that's not my work, so it's not included. I believe there are cab files out there for installing Croccy's screensavers (the ones you mentioned), but I'm not sure where they're hosted at.

Sorry guys for the hiatus in development.. was out of town for a couple of days, and then had Memorial Day yesterday.. Tonight there will be some more progress on hunting down these bugs...

Guest drblow

I'm not sure if this is what you are asking for - but here's what's in my registry, & I installed to SD card with no problems, and have no probs running the app (except for wanting the backlight option & timer options!! :wink: )

Battery delay

Cycle screen saver

Daemon

Delay

Disable while fullscreen

Disable while on batt...

Log activity

Screen saver

Screen saver Dir

Screen saver status

Hope that is of some help.

You are doing sterling work there motbe!! Keep it up lad! :lol:

Guest motbe
I'm not sure if this is what you are asking for - but here's what's in my registry, & I installed to SD card with no problems, and have no probs running the app (except for wanting the backlight option & timer options!! :wink: )

That's pretty much what I was asking about. I really want to know the values of what each of those is set at. Specifically what's stored in the Daemon and Screen Saver Dir ones.

Glad to hear that it did install for you onto the SD card with no probs! That's good news!

Guest MoRFLeZ

Runs nicely from my SD card!

I have one question though, I just re-installed it, and wanted to put a link to the CandyDaemon file in my StartUp folder, so the screensavers would always run, even after a soft reboot, and I noticed that there was a link to PocketCandy in the StartUp folder!?

Isn't it spose to be the other way around!?

Guest Brody

I think that it automatically puts a link into your startup folder but i know from my own experience that this is only a link (shortcut) and does not seem to start up Pocket Candy when i soft reset my phone, the only way that i have found to do this is to move the CandyDaemon file into WindowsStartup. This now works for me.

Edit: I am running PocketCandy from my SD card so i wonder if this anomoly is anything to do with this fact?

Guest colthekid

Ok here's my registry settings with the prog installed on the SD card.

Battery delay -- 1

Cycle screen saver -- currently MatrixCE.SCR

Daemon -- Storage CardProgram FilesPocketCandyCandyDaemon.exe

Delay -- 1

Disable while fullscreen -- 1

Disable while on batt... -- 0

Log activity -- 0

Screen saver -- Aquarium.scr

Screen saver Dir -- Storage CardProgram FilesPocketCandyScreenSavers

Screen saver status -- 1

Startup Dir -- ISPMWindowsStartup

Hope this helps. and it works at the mo, but not automatically after startup :x , I have to go into the settings and change screensaver or something to get it to start!! I also changed the address in both Daemon & Screen Saver Dir registry keys to the storage card. (is the Daemon one the problem?? I've only seen references to changing the screensavers dir)

Cheers

Col

Guest motbe

Thanks Col! That defintely helps...

I'm trying to figure out why this isn't starting things on a reset. The link that's automatically placed in your Startup folder when you install runs the CandyDaemon (that's what monitors all the key presses and launches screensavers). Which, that's what needs to run for it to be started when you do a soft-reset (thus the shortcut). The "Load at Startup" setting in the "PocketCandy Settings" app just checks for this shortcut, and if it's there, sets that option to "Yes" (and otherwise to "No"). When you close the Settings app, it either deletes the shortcut (if you left it set to "No") or creates the shortcut if it doesn't exist.

So, since it is creating the shortcut in IPSMWindowsStartup, it should automatically be starting upon a soft-reset. I've now stored the exact location of where the Daemon is installed and where the startup directory is in the installation, so those settings should be correct, I'm just wondering why it's not actually functioning... I'll see what I can find out tonight..

Guest fozzie

This sounds like a similar problem that IA Style had with their Caller ID app. They had a shortcut in the Startup folder to start the background monitoring process but it wasn't actually starting after a soft-reset. It works now though but I don't know what they did to fix it?!

Guest Saif

the shotcut is there as you can see the deamon running as a process through SP Tackmgr.

Atleast it is working on my phone....

Guest colthekid

motbe,

The link that's automatically placed in your Startup folder when you install runs the CandyDaemon

I don't know about anybody else, but the shortcut in my startup folder is for "PocketCandySP.exe", not "CandyDaemon.exe". Or is it supposed to be like that and I'm just reading your note wrong? :?

The prog runs fine once options are selected again after a reboot though.

Great little prog by the way, screensavers were one of the things the phone was missing... not that you really need them for a TFT screen!!!

Col

Guest motbe

The shortcut should be for the PocketCandy Daemon (file name is CandyDaemon.exe) It doesn't have any user interface, so when it runs you won't see anything pop up, it's just monitoring things in the background.