VCD/DVD on the SmartPhone for DUMMIES

Guest jabez

Guest jabez

I am starting this thread so we could put together all the information on the various threads regarding MOVIE FILES for the SmartPhone. I feel that the info is so hard to locate because it is scattered all over this site.

I also intend to simplify all the instructions given by the other threads ... since this thread is for Dummies ... I will try my best to post in plain, non-technical English so our "KaSPAMyans" could really enjoy using their SAP's.

Right now, I am able to watch VCD movies which I converted/encoded for the SAP. But I must admit, I had to squeeze my vocabulary and comprehension, just to understand the posts on the subject.

To the Mods: Is it alright if I post in Tagalog? Or maybe post in English, then post a Tagalog translation?

Guest dyey

i usually encode .avi files and play them in pocketmvp (i find that avis compress better than mpegs and look better than wmvs). download virtualdub (search in google) then download clinteastman's v2 settings here. start virtualdub, load the settings, then click save as avi to begin encoding.

25-minute episodes usually compresses for 12-15 mbs. more video fun for us! :)

lol

Guest jabez

Now let's break the process into bite-size pieces:

1. encode .avi files

How do we do this? What apps are needed? system requirements?

2. play them in PocketMVP

I haven't checked the link to this yet

3. download virtualdub

What is virtualdub for?

4. download clinteastman's v2 settings?

What are the setting for?

Please pardon the seeming "stupidity" of these questions. But I believe, many of our KaSPAMyans who recently acquired their SAP's would appreciate simplified instructions about the various features of the phone and related matters. I've been "scavenging" information in this forum and found most to cater to people who have previous (and profound) knowledge on Windows applications, audio/video encoding, downloading, etc.

We have to admit that the technology behind the SmartPhone is something new to the Pinoy users who needed just some thumb tricks and abbreviations to use their Nokia's, Ericksson's, and their Trium's.

Now ... thanks to the SAP ... the Pinoy celfone addict begins to hear and read about bitrates, codecs, CAB files, MoDaCo (he he he) etc.

Guest ppcsurfr
To the Mods:  Is it alright if I post in Tagalog? Or maybe post in English, then post a Tagalog translation?

Well, I think the others would appreciate it if you also included an English Translation... including a Tagalog version would be nice actually.

Mabuhay ~ Carlo (ppcsurfr)

President

Guest dyey

"encode avi files" = you need a program called virtualdub to use this. virtualdub basically encodes various video formats (mpeg, etc) to avi depending on your preferred settings (like screen size, bit rate, etc)

"pocketmvp" = a player application for the sap used to play avis. the built-in media player in the sap only plays wmvs so you'll need pocketmvp for avis

"clinteastman's v2 settings" = a modaco user (clinteastman) messed around with virtualdub's settings and found a pretty good setting for video playback in the sap (and saved it for other sap users to use). just unzip the files somewhere and open it using virtualdub (there's an option there which says "load processing settings).

here's a step by step process in converting video files to smartphone-playable ones:

1. download virtualdub (search in google)

2. download clinteastman's v2 settings (see previous post for the link)

3. open virtualdub, load clinteastman's v2 settings (there are two actually. the normal uses fullscreen while letterbox uses about 3/4ths of it. i find letterbox to be a bit more detailed than normal.)

4. open desired avi/mpeg file

5. click "save as avi" to start encoding

6. install pocketmvp in your sap (see previous post for the link)

then copy the newly encoded video file somewhere in your storage card (pocketmvp only reads the storage card so you can't put the file in your phone memory) then open it using pocketmvp. tada!

hope this helps :)

Guest checkyoulater

uh.....this might sound as the dummest query ever....but please be kind enough to help out an idiot...... :?: :?:

i downloaded that virtualdub thing, and the settings thingy too...

loaded the settings in virtual dub, picked out a segment to convert and voila.... :)

at least that's how i did it, problem is....to say the file is gigantic is an understatement.....82mb....that's for a file running less that 2 mins. worth!!! :? :cry: :?:

what am i doing wrong...please help the local idiot here

thanks so much for your time... :?:

Guest checkyoulater

gosh.....i didn't know i had to pick out a compression thingy...i was encoding the stuff uncompressed...i guess it's plain and simple that i do earn...top honors for idiots :) :(

anyway, i'm downloading that divx codec thing...hope it works...

thanks.. :D

Guest dyey
gosh.....i didn't know i had to pick out a compression thingy...i was encoding the stuff uncompressed...i guess it's plain and simple that i do earn...top honors for idiots :)  :( 

anyway, i'm downloading that divx codec thing...hope it works...

thanks.. :D

lol... np

i was as clueless as you are when i first came here ehehe :lol:

Guest checkyoulater

hahahahaha......i'm the king of the universe....well at least of my things...for now...'til everything crashes (please no!!!)...anyway thanks...and by the way YES EVERYTHING is just DANDY now.......

anyway....hope that i get more interesting stuff here, i've been reading posts here for 3 days now...quite a few interesting ones out there...hope to be able to be of any assistance too....someday....

Guest blueper

hey, guys! my first time to post here. apart from the virtualdub thingie, you may also want to check out CHRIS BENJAMINSEN's own solution to playing movies on your Smartphone! :(

http://smartphone.modaco.com/viewtopic.php?t=787

I haven't checked out VIRTUALDUB yet, but i found WINDOWS MEDIA CONVERTER ok too. :) You can try to download it through Kazaaa. It looks like the link at microsoft.com is dead the last time I tried to download from there. :?

I guess one good thing about this one is that you only need media player to view a movie. even if it's stored in the phone. a bad thing though, last time i heard was that it couldn't convert mpeg files. :x

anyway, just to give you another option. later!

Guest Xander

Divx as compared to WMV (the type Windows Media Player uses) is better in terms of quality. Filesize is not that different, around 1 Meg per minute (but it does depend on your virtualdub settings though). Plus PocketDivx can play your video fullscreen. Actually there is another format, the one used by PocketTV (search the forums for topics regarding this). It's faster than PocketDivx though it's a little too blocky for my tastes.