The Letter Confirms It!!!!!

Guest mattbrown

Guest Rob.P

Be good if Orange made a package that would keep track of GPRS costs against your GPRS option and the same for inclusive minutes and SMS's. Now that would definately make a good well used app for me.

Guest smartman

what really gets on my t**s is orange promoting use of GPRS eg. go to orange homepage and they start asking us what we'd like to see like favourite websites and what streaming data, video's etc when clearly unless your extremely rich!! or stupid!!!! it'll cost you an arm and leg to make use of it... they want to offer and move forward with this technology but clearly want to shaft you for use of it....makes no sense :twisted:

Guest Big Ron - No Longer a Mem

If you want someone to blame, Gordon Brown and his advisor Prof. Binnmore would be a good place to start. The good professor (an expert in games theory) advised the chancellor on how to structure the auction of G3 licenses to maximise revenue. The choice was between making wildly inflated bids, or being left behind. Orange made wildly inflated bids, the government made a fortune, and we got yet another "stealth tax", this time on mobile phone ownership. The money that winds up in the government's pocket didn't fall off a money tree - it has to be earned somehow. Elsewhere, notably Scandinavia, Orange and others have simply closed up shop on G3, stating that "it cannot be done for the money". It would have been a smart move here too. Anyone too dumb to work out that 3G was going to lose a fortune at the kind of prices they were paying doesn't deserve a JOB let alone a six figure salary. But the die has been cast. The money has to be found. And the only obvious source of revenue would seem to be... customers. Note that Virgin Mobile dropped out of the race, and will NOT be losing a fortune on 3G licenses - they didn't buy any! This may reflect in their prices in a year or two down the road.

Guest paradox ewan
I've spoken to "Carrie Millions" from the Customer Relations Department (David Taylor's office) today at 3:30. She agrees with me that the wording is "at best misleading" and said (anongst other things) that the wording was "appaling".

However, she states her legal department contend that they are covered with their wording.

She also rang the Orange Shop I bought the SPV from. The Orange Shop staff admitted to her that they thought the text "lesser or equal price" meant "greater or equal value", and that "greater or equal value" was what they were telling customers. They also admitted that they did not have the T's and C's to show me when I bought the phone.

It's worth noting that the website did not exist at the time I bought the phone (November 2002).

I have currently been presented with the option of a free upgrade to the phone (more-or-less) of my choice, or a cancellation of my account(s) with them. The latter means returning both my wife's Nokie 3510 (or whatever it is) and the SPV (which I paid £129 for). At least I can take my numbers with me.

I will ring tomorrow to sort something out, and possibly speak to someone who has some degree of control over the tarifs, and preferably with the same common-sense outlook as Carrie.

I'll keep you all posted on any progress I make.

How does everone feel about this now???

I am well hacked off, i have been looking into developing my online radio station for this technology, but its a waste of time with stunts like this... plans on hold.

Orange are getting a phonecall on monday from me thats for sure.

Anyone interested in a MASS letter to orange? I still recon this is one for the watchdog.

I was not only told in the orange shop, and by 150, and 156 that this package would be replaced by something thats of equal or better value.

Angry Ewan

Guest Gorskar

But the terms and conditions do not say equal or better value, they say equal or lower cost. World of difference.

Did you really expect Orange to continue the unlimted package forever (which would be the only definition of equal value)

Or did you somehome expect orange to offer a better value deal (Still unlimited, but costing less than £6 a month)

If you did then...

well I wont actually say, cause I don't want to get accused of flaming, but please, come on people, wake up!

However, I agree that Oranges standard GPRS prices are too high. I don't feel that Orange have shafted me in any way over the promotion, but I do think that I can't afford to pay for their standard GPRS rates.

Orange need to offer different Data rates for multimedia content such as full colour internet and streaming audio/video, which other phones arent capable of. I realise that to make money on GPRS WAP the cost needs to be fairly high, as the data used is tiny, but it is silly to expect an SPV owner to pay the same rate, as the content their phone is capable of receiveing is far more data intensive.

Guest joelj
But the terms and conditions do not say equal or better value, they say equal or lower cost. World of difference.
I wonder how many of us actually got the opportunity to read the T's and C's before parting with the cash. I for one only got the chance a few months ago when somone posted the link here - the WWW sitelet wasn't around when I bought mine.

When you're told by someone in authority that you'll get "equal or better value" and later read "equal or lower price" it doesn't strike you that there's any cause for concern; to the layman, or at least to me and a few other unobservant types, the two phrases seem to have the same meaning.

Personally, I don't really believe we're buying a "bundle". I think we're buying "GRPS data access".

The other point I'd like to raise is that the Orange Shop warned me off going over the 10mb "fair use" limit. They gave me to understand that it was a very tangiable limit with repurcussions for its abuse. It was only later (on this site) that I discovered that Orange were being fairly relaxed about it. (Although they did bill a few people the first month, including our sysop Paul).

Did you really expect Orange to continue the unlimted package forever (which would be the only definition of equal value)

Or did you somehome expect orange to offer a better value deal (Still unlimited, but costing less than £6 a month)

I was expecting it to be replaced by £6 (or less) for the first 10mb and then a reasonable per megabyte charge. This is what the Orange Shop admitted to Orange Customer Relations they were telling customers.

If you did then...

well I wont actually say, cause I don't want to get accused of flaming, but please, come on people, wake up!

However, I agree that Oranges standard GPRS prices are too high. I don't feel that Orange have shafted me in any way over the promotion, but I do think that I can't afford to pay for their standard GPRS rates.

That's good though - at least it sounds as if you weren't mis-informed or mis-sold by Orange or the Orange Shop.

But some of us were.

Orange need to offer different Data rates for multimedia content such as full colour internet and streaming audio/video, which other phones arent capable of. I realise that to make money on GPRS WAP the cost needs to be fairly high, as the data used is tiny, but it is silly to expect an SPV owner to pay the same rate, as the content their phone is capable of receiveing is far more data intensive.

Yes, the pricing is too high. I agree with you. I feel the high pricing is a separate issue to the mis-selling.

j

Guest superkingdave

hmm i think we should all think ourselves terribly lucky that orange decided to extend this promotion for a month or so. you can flame me all you want but i got my spv in december but i had been looking at the brochures since it came out and at no point did i ever think 'hey after that promotion ends they will just make it even better' it was always clear that it would end and i took that into account when upgrading. orange must be well annoyed... they let us have a quality offer that was much better than all the other networks and all they get is hassle from people

Guest fozzie

Agree with you entirely. Venting one's frustration here is not going to make a blind bit of difference, apart from sending people to sleep.

If you've got a problem with Orange's decision to finally end the already extended promotion and then not to offer you an even better deal, then please, take it up with them.

Don't get me wrong, I don't have a problem with people moaning about it - but I think it's gone on for long enough. As has been said before, there are two camps in this 'debate' and clearly, neither side is going to convince the other - deal with it!

If you feel you have been genuinely mis-sold the product then do as (sorry , I've forgotten who it was) an earlier poster did - complain to Orange. If you're lucky, you'll get a chance to 'upgrade' to another phone, or be allowed to cancel your contract and go to another network :|

Guest davidhorn

Face it, Orange are nice and legal. I knew the package was a promotional offer when I bought the phone.

The only thing I can think of is that Orange have provided no way for you to monitor your GPRS usage on the phone, so it's very easy to go over and be charged through the nose.

Now, I wonder why they haven't made it a priority.

Guest martin

Orange are in the business of making money and this promotion encouraged GPRS usage which in turn increased sales of the SPV and who can blame Orange for that. At least they had made the decision to release the smartphone in the first place when nobody else would take that chance.

I don't think the terms of the promotion were difficult, they were just misunderstood :lol:

I wouldn't expect Orange to constantly receive less revenue from their GPRS investment than the other networks therefore when the promotion ended and they increased their GPRS prices in line with market trends then it seemed like common sense. Also consider that they now have two other free promotions running which are E-mail & WAP.

Analyst predict the data will be the next big thing for the mobile industry and we can all expect to see a data price war at some time in the future. The GPRS networks are still expanding and each of the mobile networks companys will be looking for that investment. Orange decided on GPRS promotions and it must be trying to determine how successful it proved to be.

Here's to the SPV2.

Guest djthorp

just feel a need to delurk and say a few things. I dont really feel I've been mislead by orange, when I first read the terms of the promotion (that were in Novembers orange guide), I understood it to be that we would be moved onto i bundle... thats exactly what has happened.

I am however dissapointed it is ending as I'm sure a lot of people are. I've spent 6 months not having to worry bout accessing the internet through my phone. I've even been able to use it as a backup when my home dial up service failed for 2 days. My GPRS usage has been WELL above the 10MB limit and orange haven't charged me (which is just as well cos if they had there would be a couple of hundred pounds difference)

I do agree however that the prices are too high and feel that orange should start to consider different price bands for phones with different capabilities. I hardly used any GPRS when I had my 8310 and I was still on a lot. I'm on a lot with my SPV and my GPRS usage reflects this. It just seems that cos our phones have better graphic capabilites we are being charged more to download the same information (eg news items off the orange site)... that doesn't seem fair.

The last thing is that as a trialist for music lounge I stated in this months questionaire that I'd cut my usage of music lounge down in the last month in preparation for the promotion ending. I also stated that I would no longer be trialing the software for them when the promotion finsihed as I could not see why I should pay high GPRS charges to tryout a piece of software for them.. perhaps they should have extended the promotion again for customers trying out their software that depends on GPRS access.

Anyway thats my 2 cents on the issue

Dave Thorp

• 2 weeks later...

Me and my big Gob!!! I knew my Promotional pack was to expire any day now so called Orange this morning, with the intention of cancelling GPRS all together! When trying to explain the situation to the guy at O, he kept tutting and put me on hold for a considerable time. Turns out my SPV Promo pack didn't have an expiration date on my account so would have continued for a long while after June. As it stands now, they missed my June billing date so I have GPRS on the promo pack till mid July (£6 / 10MB). Wish I hadn't said a thing now...never mind, we live and learn!!! ;-)

Guest Digiboy

Yep. I got my June bill today (having got the letter in May) and the Promotion Pack is still there into July. I phoned Orange and they confirmed it's still on my account, suggesting I should keep my mouth shut! Can only be good news. :lol: :shock: :D

(and because you pay in advance for the rental, you'll know if the tariff changes before you go running up a megabyte bill so shouldn't get caught out)

That'll teach me not to spend so much time in "Off Topic", and actually read some of the "Main" posts ;-) They just somehow aren't as fun!!!

Guest James
Yep.  I got my June bill today (having got the letter in May) and the Promotion Pack is still there into July.  I phoned Orange and they confirmed it's still on my account, suggesting I should keep my mouth shut!  Can only be good news.  :lol:  :shock:  :D

(and because you pay in advance for the rental, you'll know if the tariff changes before you go running up a megabyte bill so shouldn't get caught out)

better check mine tonight then! my bill date is the 12th (today)

Guest djthorp
Yup, I've still got mine until July 11th at any rate.  Not that I'm going to point that out to Orange :lol:

Oh dear, I appear to still be on the promotion pack as well..... just off to call orange and inform them of their mistake (their mistake being charging me for non direct debit payment when i just set one up... not gonna mention the promotion pack... I'm not daft you know)

Dave

Well I'm off to phone Orange and complain. I was promised "equal or better value" and by that I presumed they meant better. This is not better value - it's only equal. Therefore if they don't give me 6 squillion megs for only 45p a month I'm going to get my lawyer to investigate them for fraud.

Guest FragMeister

My Bill date is 12th June, and just checked by bill on website and have got the SPV Promo Pack advance charges until 11th July.

PS: I did receive the letter saying that it was coming to an end at the June Bill.

Hurrah!!

Turned the Email Synching back to every 30 mins, and can PIE surf for another month...