Help with ORACLE files

Guest casper508

Guest casper508

I have an exported data file from Oracle database which was created by Oracle 7.0 (i think). I dont have oracle on my pc anymore and I want to use the data in that file and if possible, convert it to an MS Access readable format. Is there anyway around it without using Oracle???

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Cas

Guest SirGaz

Sorry Cas, read this post a couple of days ago but didn't have time to reply. Then the red folder syndrome struck and I forgot about it.

A lot of it depends on the format that it's been exported to, if it's exported as a delimted file then it should be able to be read by any database app. If it's an actual backup taken using Oracles standard utilities then you're scuppered without Oracle.

If you don't have a copy then you can download a single user version from the Oracle website but it's a bit big (around 700Mb last time I looked). I may have a copy at home on CD if you don't have Broadband but I had a clearout a few months ago and I suspect it was slung (never had a use for it at home).

The latest version of Oracle "should" be capable of loading the file no matter what version it was exported with, but having never done this kind of thing I could be wrong, just going on what I've heard. I'm system tester by trade, not a DBA.

Guest casper508

Thanks for replying SirGaz. The file is an actual backup from Oracle and it unreadble otherwise. I guess ill have to do what i was trying to avoid i.e. download a singleuser verison. :)

Only other way I can think of is if i could find Oracle on a friends PC, import the file and export it as a comma seperated file (not sure if thats possible with Oracle).

Thanks anyway

Cas

Guest SirGaz

It's not possible to export it as a comma seperate file direct from Oracle, you need to write some plsql to do that. You can download an application called TOAD (www.toad.com) which allows you to easily see the tables. You can simply right click on a table and select save and then you can save as comma delimted, or even directly into Excel if you like. Wonderful application.

I would offer you the servers of our company but I would get into serious trouble, and I'd need a DBA's help to get the data on there. And there is the small fact that our server is 98% full as well, don't you just love companies who plan for the day rather than the future.

Guest casper508

Thanks for the info SirGaz. Much appreciated. I dont want to get anyone in trouble mate :) Hopefully a half meg connection and TOAD will sort it out for me. Thanks again!

Cas

Guest spacemonkey

Does Oracle not have bcp? or some equivalent thing? That should be able to dump data into standard csv type files. Of course if it's 1 off you may as well just use Toad. I thought bcp was a fairly standard tool for all databases...