Amazon sells the iPaq for H1910 Pocket PC for £7.99!!!!

Guest mantrac

Guest mantrac

I just bought a couple but I checked again just now.... their site went dead on me and now it doesn't feature the product any more...

I wonder if they've made a mistake...

Still, I have my e-mail receipt so I'll claim it...

Guest SirGaz

Shame :)

You won't get it though.

A similar thing happened a few years ago with a HP CD re-writer that went for sale at £14.99 instead of £149.99. We contacted trading standards and they said that as the shop recognised it as an advertising error and that the product was only available for a short period then it was proved to be an error and there they were not forced to sell at that price.

I may be wrong with the reasons above, it was about 4 or 5 years ago.

Guest HelloDave

A similar thing happened with some Kodak Digicams about a year ago. A website (can't remember which one) offered them at a ridiculously low price and lots of people bought one, only to be told that the price was an error and they couldn't have the product but would get a refund. The media got hold of it and in the end the site decided that discretion was the better part of valour, and let everyone have a digicam at that price anyway. It was legally dodgy whether or not they had to sell the cameras at the advertised price, because unlike a real store where the price can be confirmed before purchase (if you stick a 99p label on a DVD player in Dixons they aren't gonna sell it to you!) by giving an e-store money you have effectively entered a binding contract, where it is now Amazon's responsibility to supply the goods. However, the Kodak fiasco highlighted this legal loophole and I think now all online stores will have a getout clause somewhere in their T&Cs to prevent them having to hand over the goods if they don't want to! The laws on online trading may also have been revised, but I'm not sure.

Guest timodonnell

They can withdraw from the contract, what they CAN'T do is make you pay a higher price. So realistically once they realise they can simply not ship and not charge - but it's bad PR for them.

if you stick a 99p label on a DVD player in Dixons they aren't gonna sell it to you!

True, but if they stick it on themselves, as far as I understand they're legally obliged to sell it to you.

Guest amaidment
Err... not actually stick it on to themselves... you know.

Actually, I think they have the right to refuse you at the till. Now if the product was in their window you could argue that if they don't sell it at the price on the item its false advertising, but otherwise they can refuse to sell it to you and don't need to give a reason.

Ad

Guest amaidment
i got a couple of the Koak cams. it was kodak that was selling them, from there website, and they sent out confirmations and also charged the credit cards before they realised. Hence, legally we consider that a contract for sale.

check this out

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/2864461.stm

And wasn't there also the added argument that the camera were marked as 'Special Offer' or 'Sale' or something similar, which meant people could argue they thought it was a legitimate price?

Guest vijay555

Actually, although they were on special offer, they were actually a special offer bundle worth far more, (ie camera+docking station+paper+memory) ergo you couldn't argue that the price was "reasonable" given that the camera was being sold on the same site for pretty much full price. So reasonable honest mistake wouldn't wash, it was pure booboo by kodak on the legal front by electronically completing a contract for sale by sending out an immediate "confirmation" and then deducting the "consideration", ie offer price.

I'm sure that as a result of kodak no e-tailer allows this to happen anymore, so i'm sure they have clauses on the site and their emails saying the same. However, the article above states that at least one guy would be honoured, which pretty much buggers them. I remember dabs doing the same thing with an x-box booboo, but there was no legal obligation, just goodwill and >great< publicity along the lines of "how great are Dabs".

It's almost always worth a gamble, but if you check out the bargain forum on the-dvd-forums, misprices are, to use a pun, 100 a penny. very few get honoured, and if so, very _quietly_ or in a blaze of obsequious glory

V [ LLB,LLM,Barrister at Law, just so you know. Working in the City, but not so happy now... ]

Sorry, just read the press release on the BBC website. Here's a small quote from the article:

Amazon issued a statement admitting the error and cancelling the orders which had been placed at the incorrect price.  

The firm said that its pricing policy allowed it to contact customers and offer them the product at the true price should an error occur.  

"Despite our best efforts, with the millions of items available on our website, unfortunately pricing errors can occur," a spokesman said.  

So, looks like they'll not be honoring this one!

Hax

True, but if they stick it on themselves, as far as I understand they're legally obliged to sell it to you.

I'm afraid not. This is called an "invitation to treat". The shop is not legally obliged to sell you the product. In any transaction, it is the buyer who offers a sum of money for a product which the retailer accepts, not the retailer who offers to sell something for a particular price and the buyer accepts that price.