SPV Invaders goes to V1.4 - 20th September 2004

Guest muff

Guest akarno

Thanks for the new version and including my suggestions.

This is turning out to be one of the best SPV games. I think it puts to shame some of the $12.99 offerings out there. Maybe thay have slightly better graphics, but you can't beat Space Invaders for playability.

Guest vijay555

sssh, don't give him ideas!

i remember that thread a while back about paying for homebrew software. some of it is plainly better than the commercial offerings, but at the same time, commercial software supports the phone "commercialy".

In any case, people, keep churning out the homebrew code. there's more than a few commercial developers out there keeping an eye out on MoDaCo, so you never know where it might lead...

v

can I take it from the lack of reports since 0.04a that either that version is bug free (possible) or no-one cares enough to report them (more likely)??

if this is the case I'll make 1 more release with minor programming related changes, and then that'll be it.

if anyone has found bugs, speak now or forever hold your peace

Guest MoRFLeZ

LoL!

Haven't had a single problem with this version! Of course I wouldn't recognize a bug if it jumped off the screen and bit me!

I'd just think it was a neat feature *wink*

Guest FrankyG
can I take it from the lack of reports since 0.04a that either that version is bug free (possible) or no-one cares enough to report them (more likely)??

Dunno if it's a bug or what, but when you die are you supposed to respawn on the extreme far left of the screen? Just that when you do, there's a good chance of being hit by an invader bomb. I can't remember whether this is true to the original or not, but thought I would mention it anyway. Great work, BTW.

FrankyG

Guest smartman

Muff more an observation than bug the ufo sound when it comes from side of screen is the sound when it gets hit normally I just checked with original I have. The ufo sound is more a continuous tone till it disapperars or gets hit (sound your version plays) dunno whether it's in your criteria cos its not that bigger deal.. thanks for the slow down though its a lot better on playability

smartman :lol:

Guest Brody

I take it there's no cab file, i just built a new PC and am at home and have left my SPV CD at uni so i don't have the drivers to install it. This means that i cannot sync and therefore cannot play the game as for some reason the direct downloading of the zip to my phone doesn't work :cry:. And yes i have modded my phone to allow for zip downloads!

I suppose i'll have to wait until i get back to uni :cry:

Guest drblow

I just installed it last night m8 - it seems to be working fine for me!

Good work fella! :lol:

Guest greg7901

i love it!

best mobile game ive ever played...simple but addictive and classic

its really challenging actually...or am i jus crap at it? :lol:

Guest bosshogg

works fine for me.

My only comments would be

a) it plays a little too slowly for my liking, and

:lol: could be a bit more obvious how you quit

love those sfx!

Guest midnight
One small comment, I thought is was running a tiny bit fast so I compared it to my MAME version. Speed is a tiny bit faster, maybe 5%, but the reason is seemed faster is that although there are the correct number of invaders they take up slightly too much screen width and hence turn round (and down) quicker than real space invaders.
and now....

heheh, guess you can please some people some of the time, but not all of the people all of the time hehehe :roll:

works fine for me.

My only comments would beĀ 

:D could be a bit more obvious how you quit

love those sfx!

speed is unlikely to change now, as that's a preference, not a bug per se (kinda agreed with the previous comment about speed, that's why I took it on board)

as for making it more obvious how to quit, well ALL spv stuff uses the back button to return to the previous level, in my games it quits, in most games it just skips back and puts the app in the background

and then there is the fact that the keys ARE in the included text file - and that's kinda why it's there :lol:

Muff more an observation than bug the ufo sound when it comes from side of screen is the sound when it gets hit normally I just checked with original I have. The ufo sound is more a continuous tone till it disapperars or gets hit (sound your version plays) dunno whether it's in your criteria cos its not that bigger deal.. thanks for the slow down though its a lot better on playability

the mothership sound should indeed loop, but at the moment that involves re-writing how the sound library works (not a small task), and so I'll live with the current limitation until I get around to the sound code re-writing

(and on that note, until I get the sound library reworked SPVMan won't get reworked for the moment - as lots of the sounds in that are looping)

over all it looks like people are farily happy with the current version, so once I'm done with the minor stuff I'm doing at the mo I'll bump up to version V0.9 - I'll only go to V1.0 once I get the sound loop working properly

muff

Guest XGEOX

what are the chances of seeing some more levels? - i know the potential for variation is limited, but for each level you could have:

o the shields in different positions/shapes

o different layouts of alien invaders (+ new ships?)

o different backgrounds

o new motherships (varyingn sizes and shapes)

o bonus levels where you have fast bombers or something flying across the top of the screen (and big points for hitting them)

what are the chances of seeing some more levels? - i know the potential for variation is limited, but for each level you could have:

o the shields in different positions/shapes

o different layouts of alien invaders (+ new ships?)

o different backgrounds

o new motherships (varyingn sizes and shapes)

o bonus levels where you have fast bombers or something flying across the top of the screen (and big points for hitting them)

the aim of this version of 'Invaders' is to closely match the original arcade machine, and so the single 'level' format is retained from that, as are all the other criteria

the ideas above are valid ones, just not for this type of project

that's not to say that future projects will be limited this way :lol:

Nice one m8... me mum will be so pleasedĀ  :lol:

well it was your post that inspired me to get around to writing it :D

hope your mum approves :lol:

Guest retro

What about a conversion Of Space Invaders DX,, it has two player

mode and a New Zealand Story, mode..

Will be easy doing the Newzealnad mode, two play might be a problem....

Retro...

spac0000.png