Brittish people: Euro or Pound?

Guest someone

Guest Monolithix [MVP]
I hate Europe and I hate the fact that we are even part of the EU, Is it only me or has anyone else noticed that we aren't part of europe, There's a big bit of sea called the channel that splits the two, I have nothing against europeans but I don't want to be one.

Why?

I agree 100% with this and everything else you said Big Ron, I just couldn't get around to write it all in. :lol:

And it's a well known fact that all British people think alike...

Guest DamianJauregui

And it's a well known fact that all British people think alike...

I think I'm allowed to think like this. I've lived in Wales, North Yorkshire, London, France, Germany, California, Switzerland and now France/Switzerland mix.

My Mum's Irish and my Dad is Basque. I think I can safely say that I am a good example of what it means to be British. :lol:

In the US I also used to do cultural training and consultancy for companies trying to break in to Europe, explaining where to locate sites and where to hire staff, etc.

Each country has it's good and bad points, and it has to be said that some have an awful lot of bad points, and we're not talking about the UK here.

There is two levels of economy in mainland Europe. The UK, Switzerland, Germany, Luxembourg, Lichenstein, Austria and Holland occupy the first level. France is in the same economic grouping as Spain, where as Italy is trying to move in to the first level. Poland and Hungary will be joining the second level and there might be a third level created for Czech Republic, etc.

This is how companies like Nokia, Motorola, IBM, Vodafone, etc. calculate how much should be invested in to each country, etc. It's not just about how much the average income is, it's more about other things, like how much each person spends on luxury items, the state of the economy, etc.

As usual, this is just my 2 cents worth. :lol:

Guest nickcornaglia
Cornaglian wrote:  

The queen mum wouldn't mind, old bean! After all, if you pull out a Yank note, George Washington and she look one in the same!  

Sorry mate not funny  

The Queen Mother, (may she rest in peace) was one of the only decent royals we had.

She may have been decent and she may be resting in peace, but a little joke never hurt anyone...just like your compliment to her is a criticism to the rest of the family!

Either way...sorry if my comment bothered you. :oops: You seem to be a bit sensitive anyway! :roll:

Guest vadonald
My Mum's Irish and my Dad is Basque. I think I can safely say that I am a good example of what it means to be British.   :lol:  

You've probably hit the nail right on the head there, some people rave on about being British, but depending where in Briatin you're ancestors come from, you are descended from someone from overseas, my Mum is from Yorkshire, I'm probably descended from a Viking, and my dad is from Scotland, so probably descended from a Celt.

British - the true mongrel state.

I've just looked back into this thread and at the moment its 50 : 50 on the vote (17 people each) - so no definite concensus of opinion :D

Vince

• 1 month later...
Guest Damian_demon

Sorry for the lateness in my reply but I hate europe because the french are stuck up the germans don't know how to laught the greeks have big noses and so on and so fourth, do I need any more reasons, i do appologise to any europeans but I'm british and not european!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

Guest XGEOX

i'm not anti eurpoean (barring my adversion to the french and spanish - but thats another story)

i just think the euro notes look like monopoly money.

Anyway, ill be moving to Malta soon (who i believe are going to be adopting the euro in the very near future), so I'll be using Euros everyday. It's is a shame really, since a country's currency is part of it's identity imo.

Guest DamianJauregui

Sorry everyone, just had to get this one in... :)

----------------------------------------------------------------

A man walks in to a bar and sees a group of people who, as it turns out, consists of an American, a Russian, and Iraqi and a German.

He says to the, 'Excuse me, I am trying to survey public opion on the shortage of luxury items. Can you help me?'

The people look a little confused until the Iraqi says, 'What does Public Opion mean?'

Then the American says, 'What does Shortage mean?'

Then the Russian says, 'What does Luxury Item mean?'

The the German says, 'What does "Excuse me" mean?'

----------------------------------------------------------------

As a Brit who married a Russian, whilst living in Germany, and then moved to America, I think I can say that with out appearing nationalistic! ;)

Guest Damian_demon

I liek that and the euros are monopoly money, all the buildings on them are fake and don't exist, why :?: , there have to be thousands of buildings in europe why can't they use them? :roll:

It was done dileberately to stop idiots going "Hey how come the French get the Eiffel tower on the 500 euro note and Big Ben only makes it to the 5 Euro note?" or "Hey how come the French get the Eiffel tower on the 500 euro note and we don't get anything on any note?"

Even if they did a montage including a building from all countries then new countries would feel left out as the EU expanded.

• 7 years later...
Guest awarner

And if we had joined the Euro then we would be bailing out Greece along with everyone else.

Interesting digging up such an old post, I had forgotten about the old members like Big Ron

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest andrew.mazlim
I was just wondering how you British people thinnk about that :P

Ι'm paying with euros (via web-selling), I WANT english pound for UK - and NEVER turn to euro!

Edited by andrew.mazlim

• 3 weeks later...
Guest awarner

We don't need a money injection half as much as most EU countries we seem to be bailing out like the stack we have just given Ireland.

Euro was the worst idea ever created as all countries ended up doing their own thing and now all are pretty screwed.

Guest andrew.mazlim

Sterling, of course!!!!!!!!!...

Did you saw what's happening to the rest of EU countries? Everyone's claim, he was BETTER with his own currency!

Euro "became" to make the strong EU countries RICHER, against the weakest countries!

EU is over! Let's face it... It was a good "vehicle", for Germany, France and rest TOP EU countries.

ENGLISH STERLING!!!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest shadowninty

As an Irishman, I must say I am pro Europe, federalist at that, but i do feel the EU government needs reforming, just like the UK government or Irish government does

People tend to forget what caused the EU: WWII, look at the destruction its caused, its amazing Europe recovered so quickly at all!

People were starving

No exports

Huge borrowing

Sound like Africa?

European integration saved Europe, but once it was started, there was no going back; its quite complicated, but if the UK left the EU tommorow, could you imagine the economic collapse?

Regarding the Euro; i agree with it, but unfortunately the necessary eurofederal structures were not in place

Look at Greece!

the EU didnt meddle enough in countries like Ireland's affairs, and look what happened

Sure we'll pay the debt back, but Greece? chance in hell

TBH, i wish Ireland was still iin the UK, but its things like your (in general) insularity that put me off

I dont get why you are anti-Europe, but you can push for REFORM

I'd like to see the EU take over issues like Military and Foreign Affairs, raise its own taxes etc

But that would need a directly elected President who would appoint a cabinet (of MEPs perhaps) and who would be similar to the US president; a powerful parliament and a senate to represent each state/country

I dont think the UK could handle that

At the moment

And CAP subsidises your food imports from Ireland (or would you have preferred us poor?), tho its broken

Guest awarner

The Eu was not caused by WWII.

The initial idea was created when they formed the Common Market which was not a bad thing, but underlying was the idea of making Europe into a single state which is a very bad idea. The single currency is just one step in that process.

Having a central government who do not have a single idea how each country actually runs will never work and each country is unique so a blanket ruling will screw some and pamper others.

Don't forget most of the muppets feebly attempting to run Europe have failed in their own country. Good example was when Neil Kinnock started getting power and clout in Europe but in the UK we did not have the confidence to let him run our own country.

They are overpaid fat cats who out of touch with the real world and real life.

• 2 weeks later...

Having a single currency between countries must by nature create more efficient business transactions therefore creating growth. The problem encountered by the Euro has been created by reckless member Countries who have not kept a tight rein on their economies. If the UK had been in the Euro we would have brought it crashing down. We have only been able to carry on by QE (printing money) and by halving our currency value. I don't think the UK can afford to gloat.

Guest awarner

I don't think anyone is gloating in the UK after Labour screwed us over as they did back in the 70's, just history repeating as it will do time and time again.