Tanager - is it really "coming soon"?

Guest Blakey

Guest Blakey

I've been looking around all the mobile phone shops I can this weekend, online and off and only one place has heard of the Tanager, and that was the Orange shop. The man in there said that he didn't think it would be out in July.

If you look any any of the web pages of the shops (the Link, CPWH, Phones4u, Smalltalk, etc, etc), not one of them has the Tanager listed in its "Coming Soon" sections - even though I have read on here that it's due out on the 7th July (a week today).

Call me Mr. Sceptical but I get the feeling we're not going to see this phone in a hurry in the UK.

And with the new ruling on mobile phone companies charging too much for cross network calls, I suspect the cost of handsets will now be set to rise - so I suspect that when the Tanager does come out, it'll cost a packet too.

I'm very tempted to go buy an SPV before they hike the prices...

Any comments? I'm sure the Collective Mind on here knows much more than me...

Blakey

(who's not got an SPV yet but is close to buying one...)

Guest Monolithix [MVP]

As you've said, the official release date is July 7th, we've also been previously quoted by Orange that it will be released at the end of July.

I would expect to see it in the next 1-4 weeks.

Guest Blakey

Okay, that sort of makes sense, although I'm surprised that not a single independent shop/web page seems to know anything about it. Orange aren't exactly pushing it are they?

Does anyone think I'd be best waiting for the Tanager or snapping up an SPV now?

Thanks

Blakey

Guest Monolithix [MVP]

Sorry if that last post seemed a little random :)

Personally i'd wait for a Tan. It has a nicer screen and keypad than the SPV's. If i were in your position now i'd wait another week and see what developments are made. Presumably if there is no relelase on the 7th we may get another message from Orange with deatils of its delay.

Guest Simon Desser

I asked in my local Orange shop the other day, cos my Dad wants one,(after seeing mine)and the two guys I saw, reckoned it would be towards the end of July.

By the way, they were both well into their SPV's, and use MoDaCo, and told me that they write down MoDaCo's address and give it to all SPV customers, and tell them to use it if there's anything they need to know about the phone :)

Nice one lads :!:

Guest Blakey

I just phoned Orange Sales and the man there said that they don't have the Tanager on their "Handsets in review" section on their internal computers yet and that hand sets are always in that section for "at least a month" before they are released to the shelves. So in his words the Tanager definitely won't be out this month.

He also said that all rumours about the release of this phone in the UK have been through third party bodies. Orange hasn't said anything about it officially.

Food for thought, maybe?

Blakey

Guest Monolithix [MVP]

I can assure you, a high up Orange employee (not an OCSR) HAS given the information you read on this site. I still have the e-mail in my inbox from the employee giving the statement that the SPV E-100 will be released in the next month or so.

Guest Blakey

Sorry, not intending to nay-say what you have on this site (I wouldn't have registered if I didn't think it was a brilliant site! :) ). I'm just saying what the man at the sharp end (Orange Sales) told me not 30 minutes ago.

And "next month or so" is not July 7th. :wink:

Keep smiling!

Blakey

Guest Richie M

They probably aint heard of the release date for a Tanager, maybe try asking them about the release of SPV E100 :roll:

Going round asking about the Tanager is like going round asking about a Canary (the SPV).

Guest midnight

July the 7th is the announcement given by Orange, rumours are it has been delayed 'slightly' but should still be released in July, it was announced as a July release at the recent Orange presentation, detailing also the release of the SPV2 sometime in October/November, so to say there has been no announcement by Orange is a complete lie. O sales arent the most reliable people to talk to concerning SPV launch dates as was noted when the Original SPV was on sale, even down to the fact that the SPV wasnt on their system even after people had bought them from Orange shops.

Guess we'll have to wait and see, but my guess is it will be released in July

Guest Monolithix [MVP]

Hehe, yeah i understand they seem to have slipped past the 7th release date. But as i said, i would still expect it by the end of July :)

Guest martin
I just phoned Orange Sales and the man there said that they don't have the Tanager on their "Handsets in review" section on their internal computers yet and that hand sets are always in that section for "at least a month" before they are released to the shelves. So in his words the Tanager definitely won't be out this month.

I'm sure it will be out soon.

The Tanager probably won't appear in the 'Handsets in review' section because as far as the pre-testing is concerned, the unit is exactly the same as the SPV.